It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can draw better with my eyes closed (not sure where to put this).

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm not sure where to put this but I've been a poor drawer in the past. Yet when I draw with my eyes closed I can write pretty much whatever I'm thinking about. Is there some kind of sense that is activated when you have your eyes closed that makes your awareness different from when you have your eyes open? I'm just puzzled because it seems strange.

[edit on 3-1-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Interesting can you scan something that you have drawn with your eyes shut and post it here?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Yeah, its strange what we can do better by doing the opposite of things (does that make sense?). Like a controller to a videogame console, I know my friends kid (who is autistic), can play with the controller upside down and backwards, however give the controller to him the correct way and he has no idea what to do, same thing with the remote, he has to use it udpside down. I know others can do this and I personally marked it down as them being able to visualize want to draw better, than with there eyes open. To many distractions with eyes open.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

Would you be okay if I just did a drawing on MSpaint? My digital camera doesn't work.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
For a non trained drawing student, this is expected for you are thinking of "gesture" we call it gesture drawing that captures form and movement quickly. It need not be accurate for it picks up the form in movement that the eye can identify. If ti is a detailed drawing, ever mistake or inaccuracy stands out and look poorly done.
For the trained eye, it is useful for quick sketching to get a feel for an over all design but one must draw properly to turn your drawings into paintings or great works.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Hey, this sounds interesting

Is there any way you can get someone to video record this, maybe, then upload to youtube? Not saying I don't believe you can do it with just your word and a sketch, but it'd definitely seal the deal for me if there were evidence like that

All I can say is lucky you

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by IAmD1

Would you be okay if I just did a drawing on MSpaint? My digital camera doesn't work.

I dont see why it wouldnt be. Go ahead and do it then post it here for us to see.

I cant wait to see the results. Perhaps try to draw two pictures. one with your eyes open and one with your eyes closed. That way we can compare.

That said, I cant draw no matter what, Im just not talented in that area. I can write fairly well though. I certainly write much better than I speak.

Anyway, go ahead and draw the two pictures on MSpaint and lets see what you can do.

Dust

[edit on 3-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
In high school art class we once did an exercise where we were to draw a model while looking only at the model. On one of the drawings I did exceptionally well. To the point that I was accused of looking at the drawing. That one in particular was a bit of an anomaly though. How does this relate? Simply that eyes can deceive. The point of the exercise was to demonstrate that one doesn't need to examine what is being drawn to draw it. When we look at what we are drawing, we judge it as we go. So, for you doing so with your eyes closed is a way of disconnecting that judgment. Truth is, drawing requires only a brain and a hand. The eyes only absorb the information, they can't recreate it.

Actually, more to the point, it only requires a brain. See Frank Frazetta and his amazing accomplishments learning to draw left-handed after a stroke.

Truth is, we place to much value on the cooperation of our sense to correlate our interpretations of reality. We only need the pieces from our senses. The brain is what puts the pieces together.

[edit on 3-1-2009 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
thats how i paint sometimes working with the unconcius mind, do you have any idea what your going to draw before you shut your eyes?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Not tried this, i'll have to give it ago now out of curiousity.

[edit on 3-1-2009 by MCoG1980]

new topics

top topics

join