It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raise gasoline tax by 10 cents, Congress urged

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Raise gasoline tax by 10 cents, Congress urged

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - Motorists are driving less and buying less gasoline, which means fuel taxes aren't raising enough money to keep pace with the cost of road, bridge and transit programs.

That has the federal commission that oversees financing for transportation talking about increasing the federal fuel tax.

A 50 percent increase in gasoline and diesel fuel taxes is being urged by the commission to finance highway construction and repair until the government devises another way for motorists to pay for using public roads.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
So I thought driving less was a good thing, but now the american are going to be taxed for doing so. It seems that whatever happens brings more and more taxes. If the govt spent less on iraq and afghanistan I am sure the infrastructure wouldnt need the taxpayers money, there would also be more school and affordable healthcare but the folks in washington dont get it, they want bailouts after bailouts paid by the people. damn it.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
After paying in excess of 3.50 a gallon a couple months ago which put me in major debt, they can just take a hike!

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I'm going to start maing a pest of myself again. Blanche Lincoln, Mark Pryor and Marion Berry, look out.
We are in the middle of the worst recession and Congress wants to find some way to take more of my money. They can take a flying leap!

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Around here half of the road projects seem to be more of an attempt at beautification than anything else. Watching our wonderful local government erect a multi million dollar pedestrian overpass with four different colors of flashing lights (for aesthetics) makes me so mad. They turned an already congested four lane road into two lanes to make the sidewalks ten feet wide too. Screwed local business for six months and made traffic twice as bad. Quit wasting our money!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Our corporate and moron congress and government will keep doing what theywant until America starts to raise up create riots, protest and start asking for accountability and the heads of those that are helping to rob America tax payer blind.

[edit on 3-1-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
:shk:
:shk: Freak'n political idiots.
They really are out to destroy us with their lack of brain power, aren't they?

[edit on 1/3/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle

until the government devises another way for motorists to pay for using public roads.

I believe that this is the most important part of the story. I've linked to the thread that talks about what will eventually be the other end of "another way for motorists to pay for using the public roads".

Oregon looks at taxing milage instead of gasoline

See what is coming?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I don't know if it's a lack of brain power or just a lack of a brain in some cases. Either way, thanks again govt.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Interesting, see the problem is that once they start charging for using public roads, the roads will not be public anymore they will be private property as private property they can then be sold to foreign investors.

So we build our roads with tax payer money to be sold to private investors around the world.

I said is time to start the protest in America.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The fact of the matter is the govt needs money to pay for the roads you drive on. With the energy saving vehicles and the people driving less, the govt has less money to pay for those roads you live on. 10 cents per gallon isnt bad especially when we were just apying 4$ just 6 months ago, now only 1.30.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Tax me when I earn it... tax me when I spend it... tax me when I save it... tell me to conserve and now make me pay more because I don't use something as much as I used to? Driving around southern California, I probably idle away more fuel sitting in rush hour traffic than I consume when I'm actually driving so the way I see it I'm already giving you more than I get in return.
So it's now my civic duty to drive as much as possible so everyone can have nice roads? When have we ever had well-maintained roads? They can make high-rise buildings capable of withstanding a 6+ earthquake but can't make a road last 25 years?
Tell ya' what people in the Gov't: I'll go along with the pay-per-mile plan on my vehicles' as long as you get rid of the taxes on the fuel, oil, tires, etc. I have to purchase to keep my cars running. Sounds fair to me: pay for it if and/or when I use it. However, I won't use a GPS device to track my mileage- you can come read my odometers.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Yes roads needs to be maintain after they sold them to private investors like every toll in this nation.

Now how much money you got in return from that sell after you pay with tax payer money, Agent Styx?

And that 10% is going to the coffers of the oil companies that are also losing money with the lower prices and lack of public support right now.

Agent Styx do you know how big oil companies get their cut on that 10%, from something call incentives that they actually don't need pay by tax payer money thanks to a corporate corrupted government.

Learn the facts about how Americas are rob blind in this nation by its own leaders.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I already love being taxed for having a job.

Now I'll get to pay (more) taxes on my commute! Woo-hoo.

Why do I bother working for a living? It's not worth it.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The answer is simple. Dont drive at all! Ride a bike, great for excersise. Take a bus, or car pool and everyone split the cost.

There are ways to fight back at their pick pocket tactics.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

It's a nice thought but not really practical for quite a number of people.
What we need to do is tax the govt. officials every time they come up with a dumb plan like this, think it would actually solve all the problems!

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I actually think this is a good idea. We are paying far less for gas than many countries and we are spoiled. People jump in the car without thinking about it. And we buy gas guzzlers and encourage wasteful practices. Something has to be done to maintain the roads we all use.

It's not a perfect solution, but I think it's a good one.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This is the dumbest thing I have heard, so yes people are using less gas so they have to raise taxes, can we ever win? they are already wasting and giving away taxpayer money to big business, financials and other irresponsible entities to keep them running now they want more money from us? whatever happened to government fiscal responsibility and budgeting.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Yeah well how else do you expect them to pay for CEO's new houses worth 37 million.
Tax the people more.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I say push for hydrogen cars that other nations seem to be enjoying and they manage to have properly maintained roads without fossil fuel tax. Plus they are moving into the future, while we stay stuck on the oil drug IV addiction list.

I realize that changing modes of transportation is not that easy for some people, but is all this nonsense about taxing gas again and bouncing us back and forth like a ping pong ball with price gouging and more taxes any more easier for all the people?

Something has to change and change big otherwise all this will just continue.

Cheers!!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join