It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorists' habits spur call for tax increases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Motorists' habits spur call for tax increases

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Motorists are driving less and buying less gasoline, which means fuel taxes aren't raising enough money to keep pace with the cost of road, bridge and transit programs.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
financecommission.dot.gov

MOD Note: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

* Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalize it. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be moved, closed or deleted.

[edit on 1/3/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The article was on about hiking Taxes on Gas. Taxpayers bail everyone but are then expect to pay more taxes to cover for their road usage. How do they proposed to do it.

"According to a draft of the financing commission's recommendations, the nation needs to move to a new system that taxes motorists according to how much they use roads. While details have not been worked out, such a system would mean equipping every car and truck with a device that uses global positioning satellites and transponders to record how many miles the vehicle has been driven, and perhaps the type of roads and time of day."

Now that's fair isn't it you use the road you pay for it. But what about cyclist and pedestrians.. perhaps we should just tag each of us. Then use GPS to tax us on our movement. Honestly they will only use the information for taxes oh yes and for homeland security purposes - -What you oppse this then you must be a threat ---

They'll be taxing us on our farting soon saying we are adding to the global climate change. Glad I'll be dead soon. (age or some thing else.)

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/3/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
sarcasm on.

Awesome! Now they have a reason to implant chips in people. They start off slow by stating that they need to put chips on all cars, but since some people car pool, it would be unfair to tax just the driver, so it is a necessity to chip the people.

"What do you mean you have no chip? Get one or go to jail."

sarcasm off.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I don't think that the American people are going to be wiling to go along with the GPS tracking devices in every car for the benefit of taxation.

We already get tracked pretty much by our cell phone use, but as with many things that track our whereabouts, like ATM transactions, etc. we have some control over whether we use cash or use our cell phones.

I for one would get rid of my car before I'd consent to the government tracking my driving habits for taxation or any other purpose.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The roads have already been paved for. That, and what in the hell am I paying a roads tax for now? I am already paying for the roads whether I use them or not.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Sorry... I'll not consent to any gps device on my car. I'd give it up first.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Ya know, in many places states and municipalities are considering selling roads to foreign countries, who would most likely place a toll on them.

I'd rather pay the tax and keep the roads myself.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Ya know, in many places states and municipalities are considering selling roads to foreign countries, who would most likely place a toll on them.

I am skeptical that paying the tax would deter cities from selling if the price was high enough. People who would consider selling a road are not concerned with money flowing into the city's coffers, but their own.

If you were a city leader (mayor, city council member) would you really consider selling/leasing one of your roads to a foreign company? How would you sell your constituency on the idea? If they tried that in Colorado, there would be a huge backlash as soon as people found out.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Funny but the ones that will be reaping the profits from this tax is not the tax payer and as we know the ones that do the fixing of roads and hard labor in this nation are illegal immigrants so yes more tax payer money for Mexico and south America.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Yes but once the roads are taxed they become private property and still can be sold to anybody that will buy them for a profit like any private business.

Beside we pay state taxes and federal taxes at it is for building and fixing them.

We the tax payer will never see a penny of that sell out and neither the profits.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
If we drive our cars and burn fuel then we're eevilll.
If we don't drive our cars and burn fuel then our behavior requires the perverment tax us MORE.

Perverment? Yes. Our 'powers that be' have a very perverse way of making ANY activity by a tax paying citizen into an unsound act or civic failure that demands a higher tax. It is not a government. It is a Perverment.

There are other ways to pay for things like road upkeep.

(Incoming Rant)

How about we pull every single US military asset from the rest of the world and bring them home? Trillions in savings. Next we pull all foreign aid from the rest of the world; hundreds of billions more. Now we put all of those dollars into OUR country and clean this place up a bit.
Fix the infrastructure. Revamp education. Have tax incentives for US innovation and manufacturing here in the USA. Get our unemployment problems in hand. Get that trade deficit levelled out. Get immigration straightened out. Get wages cleaned up. Get healthcare manageable. Get things straightened out so that the decent, law abiding,tax paying citizens can live without trying to figure out where all of their money is going to.

Nice.

Evil Americans, driving less to save money and gas. How dare we?

[edit on 3-1-2009 by badgerprints]

[edit on 3-1-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Do you have a citation for that claim?

[edit on 2009/1/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by xman_in_blackx

I am skeptical that paying the tax would deter cities from selling if the price was high enough. People who would consider selling a road are not concerned with money flowing into the city's coffers, but their own.

If you were a city leader (mayor, city council member) would you really consider selling/leasing one of your roads to a foreign company? How would you sell your constituency on the idea? If they tried that in Colorado, there would be a huge backlash as soon as people found out.

Not here in Fulton County. Almost every city around (and including) Atlanta is on the verge of Bankruptcy. That is something they are entertaining here currently as we figure out how to best fund our cities, many of them brand new cities.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
In Nebraska we already pay a wheel tax. Now we have to pay more taxes for the roads? I smell economic collapse and grasping for straws.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
This only goes to show how politicians use their minds. If they can`t get the money from you in one way, they will get it in another way. Nothing like leaching from people already over taxed or who may be out of work or may be in the future. How will they get the money if people are out of work?

I love it when people for once are saving a little money and even the environment around them by not driving as much, and the good old government steps in and picks the pockets of the tax payers because of it. Gee, so much for saving a little money to fall back on in hard times. We can`t do that, now can we?

[edit on 4-1-2009 by FiatLux]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Yes but once the roads are taxed they become private property and still can be sold to anybody that will buy them for a profit like any private business.

Beside we pay state taxes and federal taxes at it is for building and fixing them.

We the tax payer will never see a penny of that sell out and neither the profits.

lol I was just thinking, "Sweet I want to buy an interstate there is surly plenty of money to be made there and I can even get my own road repair crew."

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Isn't this part of the reason we founded this country in the first place? Too many taxes in the mother land so to speak?

I'm got quite upset when I had initially heard about the gas tax and started wonder what they will tax next when people can no longer afford liquor or tobacco and they lose all that money. Screen Door tax is just around the corner no doubt.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darthorious
Isn't this part of the reason we founded this country in the first place? Too many taxes in the mother land so to speak?

I'm got quite upset when I had initially heard about the gas tax and started wonder what they will tax next when people can no longer afford liquor or tobacco and they lose all that money. Screen Door tax is just around the corner no doubt.

Your right about why this country was founded. And now look at us, we even have a private banking system whos owners learned all they could from the Rothchilds, with all the taxes and interest they can rip you off for. They learned well didn`t they? I can`t say the same for us though.

top topics

join