It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO, Fireworks or Lanterns?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Hi,

First time posting here, just registered this morning. So just as a quick introduction, I'm 22, from the UK and am a student :]

The other night on New Year's Eve, I saw these large lights outside the window, just after midnight. It was amongst a variety of fireworks going off in different gardens, but these lights weren't making any noise, and were travelling extremely slowly - moving in all directions.

As they were so big, my first instinct was to shout UFO, run and get my crappy Sony camera, and rushed out to film it. I have two other film snippets but this is the best I managed in my slightly drunken state:

uk.youtube.com...

Slow fireworks, lanterns? What could they be? Wish I could have shown the size of them better, stupid optical zoom

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Did they move or just fade out?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
They moved in both directions, horizontally and vertically. It was cloudy that night, so eventually I couldn't see them.

But from what I've seen on the Thai lanterns, they drop after a certain altitude, but this wasn't the case here.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Yeah look to be honest with you, the main night of the year you should NOT look for UFO's, is New Years Eve.
It resembles a war zone with incoming all over the place and tracer flying through the sky.
Who knows what the heck some drunkard is firing into the sky.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
My friend saw something similar but it was red.

From the video he sent it is actually totally impossible to say what it might be.

Unfortunately he is not willing to share his video...

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauperviking
They moved in both directions, horizontally and vertically. It was cloudy that night, so eventually I couldn't see them.

But from what I've seen on the Thai lanterns, they drop after a certain altitude, but this wasn't the case here.

Sky lanterns without a doubt in my mind. They move exactly like lanterns....and on New Year's Eve...?
Sky lanterns burn for around 20 minutes, so plenty of time for them to drift beyond view before going out and falling to Earth. They can also rise to great heights (many thousands of feet, out of sight sometimes) and drift large distances, miles from their launching point. It depends on the air currents several thousand feet up. Nobody watching on the ground can predict where, or how fast a sky lantern can or can't move. To say 'that can't be a sky lantern because it moves erratically or too fast' is simply not true. They move like UFOs and many UFO sigtings are indeed lanterns.

WG3

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Yeah that's what I thought

Only things that made me doubt it were that I've never heard of anyone using lanterns in this area, and the large size of them.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauperviking
Yeah that's what I thought

Only things that made me doubt it were that I've never heard of anyone using lanterns in this area, and the large size of them.

Then you haven't looked on eBay lately!

WG3

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Doesn't look like a fire lantern to be honest, much too stable trajectory. Did it make any sound?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

top topics

join