It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The " born in the USA" law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm ready to bet that in this upcoming term(or next) the born in the USA( to be president) law will be changed, and let me say I agree ..

Times have changed and I think that there are many foreign Americans that are more American and respect appreciate and know more about what America is all about than a lot of Americans..

I think its time for a change lol!!

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Yes I agree I don’t really think that the next president should necessarily have to be born in the US OF A why can’t for example they be born in Canada and move to America when they are 3 and still be president

Maybe though that you should have to be living in America for a number of years let’s say 10 - 20 and maybe every candidate will have to take a written and oral test on America before being put forward for nomination aswell "Hey why not get the best guy for the job next time"

also what I would like to see is if a potential candidate makes a promise for example make the drinking age higher and if that doesn’t happen when that particular candidate is elected at some point in their term they are punished for each promise broken

potentially a jail term because it is a pretty important job and if he makes a promise to the whole country and breaks it and practically lied his way into office and should 100% be punished for it also I think Britain needs to adopt Democracy because right now we are stuck with Gordon Brown and he really is not the right guy for the job is he.

So well done America for adopting a right technique (democracy) but it needs to be tweaked slightly to achieve great results e.g. best candidate possible.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by Anti - Government]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well here's hoping Arnold gets the job next!

He would give America a good kick up the ass!

I wonder if this whole Obama being born in Kenya thing is starting to worry alot of the''Change'' folk??

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
My question is this...Is there any country in the world that elects a non native?

While many nationalities move here, is it necessary to give them a presidential election. While the position shouldn't be limited to an ethnicity, I see no reason why they shouldn't be at least born here.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti - Government
Yes I agree I don’t really think that the next president should necessarily have to be born in the US OF A why can’t for example they be born in Canada and move to America when they are 3 and still be president

Maybe though that you should have to be living in America for a number of years let’s say 10 - 20 and maybe every candidate will have to take a written and oral test on America before being put forward for nomination aswell "Hey why not get the best guy for the job next time"

also what I would like to see is if a potential candidate makes a promise for example make the drinking age higher and if that doesn’t happen when that particular candidate is elected at some point in their term they are punished for each promise broken

potentially a jail term because it is a pretty important job and if he makes a promise to the whole country and breaks it and practically lied his way into office and should 100% be punished for it also I think Britain needs to adopt Democracy because right now we are stuck with Gordon Brown and he really is not the right guy for the job is he.

So well done America for adopting a right technique (democracy) but it needs to be tweaked slightly to achieve great results e.g. best candidate possible.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by Anti - Government]

The legal requirement for domestic birth did not stop an illegal alien from winning the presidency. And America does not have a democracy, it is a REPUBLIC. If we all voted on every measure by email, it would be democratic. But we elect people we 'trust' (ha!) to make the right decisions, and many of them based on top secret info that would change the popular opinion if known. Things like aliens, stargates, new weapons, covert actions by all involved, etc. Man can NOT govern himself, and this is being proven by the US government.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by asykicchange

Nope sorry this American likes the law just the way it is
Just my 2 cents

Edit to add

I am looking forward to seeing how many non Americans will chime in with agreeing that non Americans should be allowed to become President of the US of A.

So well done America for adopting a right technique (democracy) but it needs to be tweaked slightly to achieve great results

[edit on 1-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Anyone watch the video posted recently on the direction America is going? The one that defines the fact of the USA being a Constitutional Republic and not a ****ing democracy. The Law of the Land is what rules here, not the bendable whims of a mob. That is what led to Rome's changing into an Empire under the Caesers, a dictatorship.

Democracy=bad

Republic(Constitutional)=good

Get the picture?

Deny ignorance.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Born and bred in the USA is the only way.

And that is the way it should stay.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I'll keep the requirements about the presidency the way they are, thanks. They were written the way they were to help prevent someone with no allegiance to the US from being elected president. Our country is messed up enough as it is without providing easy access to the presidency for any would-be dictator/tyrant that wants it.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Yeah, I actually agree with the law that you should have to be born here if you want to be the president. Times have changed and all, I totally agree, and there's no reason you can't be black or hispanic or asian or what the hell ever and still be president. However, you should be born here. You want to be the leader of a nation, you should at least have been born in said nation.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I would like the rules to be The President must be born in the US while the Vice President can be born outside the US but can never run for president.

There are a couple of people born outside of the US that i'd have rather seen been president than a few of our past presidents.

I'd rather see an American born as president but i'd like more to see a person whom can get the job done and uphold the title of president first and be from anywhere.

It may change sometime in the future but not no time soon.

Some countries that have low birthrates would be screwed if they had a rule like that.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by kvaniu]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by asykicchange
I'm ready to bet that in this upcoming term(or next) the born in the USA( to be president) law will be changed, and let me say I agree ..

The Major regrets to inform you, that the "law" can't be changed. There can be a Constitutional Amendment that would alter the requirements for POTUS.

Originally posted by kvaniu
I would like the rules to be The President must be born in the US while the Vice President can be born outside the US but can never run for president.

The Major would like to know the purpose of having a vice president who is incapable of assuming the office of president? Seems to the major that it defeats the purpose of having a vice president.

The Major is now going to take a walk and try to find a teacher, and punch them right in mouth for dereliction of duty.

Dismissed.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by Major Discrepancy]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Major Discrepancy

Originally posted by asykicchange

The Major regrets to inform you, that the "law" can't be changed. There can be a Constitutional Amendment that would alter the requirements for POTUS.

The Major would like to know the purpose of having a vice president who is incapable of assuming the office of president? Seems to the major that it defeats the purpose of having a vice president.

The Major is now going to take a walk and try to find a teacher, and punch them right in mouth for dereliction of duty.

Dismissed.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by Major Discrepancy]

Remeber the Vice President is the President of the Senate; lets let him continue to do that but seperate the job from president a little.

There have been many people in US history who were born in the US that did great things why shouldnt they have the chance. I personally dont care if the person was from mars i'd vote for him.

With the amount of immigration there may be a day when during some generation that there are more citizens born outside of the US then what happens then. I say a very slow gradual change toward any citizen period being able to run.

Lets not forget some of the founding fathers werent born in the
13 colonies/13 states

I have a question for everyone; why is it so important to have a president born in the US, where you could have someone born somewhere else and came over here as a baby they would have the same mentality as anyone else here.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Lets not forget some of the founding fathers werent born in the
13 colonies/13 states

Which is why they grandfathered themselves in when writing up the Constitution.

National Archives: Transcript of the Constitution
No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

The part I have bolded is where they provided themselves with the grandfather clause. At the time the Constitution was written and signed, there were very few if any who could be considered natural born citizens since the US as a country didn't exist. Citizens yes, natural born no. Hard to be a natural born citizen of a country that doesn't exist. Rather than wait 35 years for the first natural born president they provided themselves and others who were citizens at the time of the adoption of the constitution a way to be president.

I have a question for everyone; why is it so important to have a president born in the US, where you could have someone born somewhere else and came over here as a baby they would have the same mentality as anyone else here.

I would have to disagree with you there. There was a documentary I watched recently that interviewed Asian-Americans who may have been born here, can't remember that detail since it didn't seem particularly important at the time, but their parents had immigrated here from Japan, China, etc. The people they interviewed had absolutely no desire to be an American or to participate in American culture. Instead they wanted to identify themselves as Japanese, Chinese, etc. and have very little to do with Americans in general. These were people that grew up here. Yet they most certainly did not have the same mentality as anyone else here.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

I would have to disagree with you there. There was a documentary I watched recently that interviewed Asian-Americans who may have been born here, can't remember that detail since it didn't seem particularly important at the time, but their parents had immigrated here from Japan, China, etc. The people they interviewed had absolutely no desire to be an American or to participate in American culture. Instead they wanted to identify themselves as Japanese, Chinese, etc. and have very little to do with Americans in general. These were people that grew up here. Yet they most certainly did not have the same mentality as anyone else here.

Okay then what about the millions of people whom emigrated from the UK, Ireland, Germany, the Nederlands, France, etc during the 19th & early 20th century lots of the children became americanized

You could also have a person born in the US who has no interest in the culture what stops them from becoming president. Many people born on border states take more from Mexican and Canadian cultures but that isnt a problem if they turn around an run for president.

Then there comes a question how long and what makes a person choose to what type of culture they want to be apart, I can speak for my self there are things my parents, grandparents and greatgrandparents who are born in the US do that you would never see me do that are apart of the culture.

What exactly is the American culture; you send a person from the middle of Montana to NYC they will not fit in just like sending a person from the big city to the country I can't think of one thing that you could use to describe any majority of the population of America.

There is an American culture persay there are several cultures with in America. Look at how people live and interact with others throughout the different regions of the US

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by kvaniu

Yes there are some who immigrate here and adopt our culture, but there are also many who do not. The Constitution was written the way it was to help prevent someone from outside the country coming in and taking over. As I said in my first post, our country has enough problems as it is. We most certainly don't need to change the Constitution to allow any would-be dictator/tyrant that wants to be president the chance. Sorry, but I for one am not willing to change the requirements and end up with a president who only wants to be president of the US to completely destroy the country from the inside rather than risk the lives of another nation's soldiers to do it from the outside. Could that still happen with a president who was born in the US? Sure it could. But I'd be willing to wager it won't.

Moving on, the beauty of American culture is you can't really pin everyone down with the same stereotype. Our culture is made up of many, many, many different things because we are so diverse. I don't see that as a bad thing. And yes a person can go from the middle of Montana to NYC and fit in, it just may take a few months. I went from living on the outskirts of a city to living in the middle of farm country two states away and it was completely different than what I was used to. Yet I managed to adapt just fine. My case was the reverse of your example, but the point is it is possible to move from one type of community to another and fit in.

new topics

top topics

join