It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro-Palestinian protesters at Obama's Hawaii house

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Pro-Palestinian protesters at Obama

www.reuters.com

KAILUA, Hawaii (Reuters) - A small group of placard-waving pro-Palestinian demonstrators gathered near U.S. President-elect Barack Obama's vacation retreat in Hawaii on Tuesday to protest against the Israeli airstrikes in Gaza.

Obama has made no public comment on the strikes, which Israel launched on Saturday. Aides have repeatedly said he is monitoring the situation and continues to receive intelligence briefings but that there is only one U.S. president at a time.

But with outgoing Republican President George W. Bush already viewed as a lame-duck, many people, particularly in the Middle East, are looking past him to Obama, who is due to be sworn in on January 20, for leadership.

Obama did speak out after the attacks on the Indian city of Mumbai in November in which gunmen killed nearly 180 people, condemning them as acts of terrorism.

He has also spoken on the economic problems facing the United States.

"He is talking about how many jobs he is going to create but he is refusing to speak about this," said one of the protesters, Carolyn Hadfield, 66.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-12-2008 by Raustin]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Man I don't know what to say about this. I think Obama made a pretty big blunder by not responding to the attacks, but he's not even in office yet. Do you guys think he messed up by not saying anything? Does protesting help the situation at all? I think it's sort of a waste of time. These folks ought to be writing letters or offering support in some other way in my opinion.

Thanks for your thoughts.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
protesting is visible
letters can be thrown away

nuff said!

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I think it's wrong that they are stalking the guy outside the place that he is staying.

Yeah, protest outside an embassy by all means, but hunting down the POTUS elect is pretty creepy if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I don't think he screwed up by keeping his support for Bush and Israel quiet, if he had come out just imagine how much more emotional ammunition he would have given these protesters.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well it's not like he's vacationing in secrecy. The address of the place he's staying at was actually posted on the TIME Magazine website. Still, that does seem kind of annoying. Hey, at least people believe in him.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

ah forget creepy man
we're talking about trillions of dollars here
we're talking about sovereingty
we're talking about funding genocide
we're talking about comdemnig out children to perpetual debt
we're talking about evil, the oppression of everyone!

the president elect's privacy is nothing compared to all of this

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Yeah I don't care too much about his privacy but I still think these guys are wasting time. Whoever said letters can be thrown away, good point.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
reply to post by Flighty

ah forget creepy man
we're talking about trillions of dollars here
we're talking about sovereingty
we're talking about funding genocide
we're talking about comdemnig out children to perpetual debt
we're talking about evil, the oppression of everyone!

the president elect's privacy is nothing compared to all of this

Obama is considered high risk for an assassination attempt.
So , yeah, I think it is creepy that he's been tracked down in this way.
Especially, as in this point of time, he can't do anything until he becomes POTUS anyway.
It just seems incredibly intimidating to approach it this way IMO

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Obama in his Hawaiian Five-o Whitehouse being hassled by protesters. I am sure this won't be the last time he sees a lot of protesters in front of his house. He might as well get used to the scene.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

His hands are tied.
He is not president yet.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Remember the war protesters at the Bush ranch,

That's life.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

How are his hands tied, he could at least make a simple little statement. Something like "My administration will work hard to reach a peace accord with Israel and Palestine to prevent future tragic loss of life". Then again he is enjoying his last vacation.

To the gentleman worried about assassination. That popped into my head as well. Don't worry too much, I'm sure the Secret Service is doing their best.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
last vacation, hah! Sorry for it not being as on topic as I'd like to be but... Last vacation? Hah! I wouldn't be surprised if he gives Bush a run for his money when it comes to vacation days. *murmurs* last vacation.....

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

I don't know if ANYONE is going to be able to top Bush vacation time. He gets more time off than teachers!

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin
reply to post by spinkyboo

How are his hands tied, he could at least make a simple little statement. Something like "My administration will work hard to reach a peace accord with Israel and Palestine to prevent future tragic loss of life". Then again he is enjoying his last vacation.

He's already made a statement. "I will support Israel".

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
I think it's wrong that they are stalking the guy outside the place that he is staying.

Did you say the same thing about Cindy Sheehan and the Code Pink whackadoos when they camped outside of Bush's ranch in Crawford Texas?

Welcome to being POTUS, Mr. Obama. This stuff comes with the job.

top topics

join