It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists eye unusual swarm of Yellowstone quakes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
as i understand its not the actual size , its the fact that many small ones can cause far more problems that 1 big one - repeat numerous small earthquakes are the big concern

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I bring this up again, an observation I noticed in a previous Yellowstone thread.

I found this document on earthquake swarms at Yellowstone at the University of Utah's volcanology lab site.

If you notice, there's a section in there where it's not unknown for there to be earthquake swarms. It happened in 1985; in 1995; in 2004.

My question is this: Could we be seeing an increase in velocity of these swarms? After all, there was a 10 year difference between the '85 swarm and the '95 swarm. And then a nine year difference between '95 and '04. And now a three year difference between '04 and '07.

See where I'm going with this?

So, if the last swarm was in '07, and we're now at the end of '08 with this swarm that is more powerful than seen in years, it appears my thesis is holding out.

The problem, as we all mention, is where does this end? With the caldera blowing or just a sudden end without any event?

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
A rather lengthy 42 page article about this already.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

lets try to keep it all together, too hard looking in many different threads.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Waldy
it is just a small "fart"

Well, I think THAT pretty much sums it up! Lets go ahead and close this thread.......Gawd I
!

I pretty much agree Waldy. Geological time and "human life-time" aren't anything to compare to each other. Mother earth might have her "cycle" every 67 million years; a human female, every 28 days. Nothing to compare here. It really truly is just a small "fart" in a whole lifetime's worth!

[edit on 31-12-2008 by CreeWolf]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I'm just gonna throw this out here, see if anyone else thinks this might have some meret or not. What if all the recent quake activity in the mid-west, now Yellowstone an other areas, I wonder if this has anything to do with the Pole-shift that is suppose to happen. I mean if their's anything to it, wouldn't that be having some kind of effect on the plates?

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Here's another article.

Is Yellowstone's Super Volcano Coming Alive?

This is a volcano which upon eruption could become a "cataclysmic" - and perhaps - extinction level event.

The whole world needs to keep their fingers crossed that this "Super Volcano" doesn't "Super Erupt"!

[edit on 12/31/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Does anything point to global warming being a factor in the last eruption?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join