It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists eye unusual swarm of Yellowstone quakes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Scientists eye unusual swarm of Yellowstone quakes

news.yahoo.com

CHEYENNE, Wyo. – Yellowstone National Park was jostled by a host of small earthquakes for a third straight day Monday, and scientists watched closely to see whether the more than 250 tremors were a sign of something bigger to come. Swarms of small earthquakes happen frequently in Yellowstone, but it's very unusual for so many earthquakes to happen over several days, said Robert Smith, a professor of geophysics at the University of Utah.

"They're certainly not normal," Smith said. "We haven't had earthquakes in this energy or extent in many years."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Ahhh, maybe there is something to the yellowstone earthquake thread after all. I was going to post this in that thread but thought others might be interested. Let's all hope it's not going to blow. I'm not too surprised I read about this on ATS first, you guys catch a lot of good stuff before it's reported by the MSM.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
The shimmers are steadily increasing no dobut. And Yellowstone is somewhat overdue in its outburst cycles according to many geologists and scientists.

Its possible it is building up for its overdue outcry. Im not worried about it tho. I am in Casper and if Yellowstone does its thing, well there really isnt much I can do except put on the gas masks, get the family in the truck and head up to Casper mountians and find us a nice spot under the pine trees and just wait it out.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I've always wondered whether I was gunna see Yellowstone do anything in my lifetime.

Obviously I hope I don't, I'm hoping this is just the resting behemoth rolling over in it's sleep.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I think it's a safe assumption that no one wants to see Yellowstone do anything excessively seismic, Good Wolf.

The force that can be generated by all of the geothermal capabilities of Yellowstone is beyond fathoming. It's staggering what that one park will do to this whole country when the clock reaches 0.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sacreligion

Totally. But isn't it due already, anyway?

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
"Due" is a funny word...we could be thousands of years overdue or thousands of years ahead of whatever may come. Geological events such as a supervolcano are far more rare in our Earth's history and not necessarily easy to predict. Most of them occur on cycles that can last millions of years.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I think what you want is to let this thing kinda blow off steam in small doses, as to avoid a massive event. So maybe this is a good thing, and a few small eruptions, or some more serious seismic activity could be a good thing.

anyone linked this to the web bot thing yet?

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Sacreligion

Obviously it doesn't have the regularity of Old Faithful.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sacreligion
I think it's a safe assumption that no one wants to see Yellowstone do anything excessively seismic, Good Wolf.

The force that can be generated by all of the geothermal capabilities of Yellowstone is beyond fathoming. It's staggering what that one park will do to this whole country when the clock reaches 0.

This won't just affect your country, it will affect the whole continent, if not the entire world.

Scary stuff.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Even if there will be an eruption in Yellowstone, there is no evidence it will be a super eruption like last time 600,000 years ago or the one 2 million years ago, that was a real super eruption.

It is a fact that for the last 10 years there has been changes in the geyser system and increased seismic activity, but it is very premature to link it with an eruption. However, since it is Yellowstone it gains attention and you can never really know when eruption occurs.

I personally think it is just a small "fart", the eruption wont happen for the next 10 thousand years at least.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ben420

This won't just affect your country, it will affect the whole continent, if not the entire world.

If something happens that affects the continent, it will affect the whole globe, without a doubt.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The largest tremor of the event thus far just happened. 2.5 on the richter scale.

And yes, Ben, you are right. It'd be like if a huge comet made impact right where Yellowstone is.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
watch the bbc `super volcano` - fictious maybe but based upon the usgs and real science

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
It doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It could just be letting off some steam to prevent a big blowup or magma is on the move. I watched a documentary about Yellowstone and it all depends on what chamber the magma is moving to. If an explosion did happen depending on the chamber that exploded doesn't necessarily mean catastrophy for all.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Actually the largest in the swarm was a 3.9.

There's another 35 page thread on the activity here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

peace

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

When reports of unusual animal migration away from Yellowstone, then we should, perhaps, become a bit concerned. Animals seem to have a "sense" of such phenomena...

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
On the whole timing thing, I never place too much faith in these estimates.

The fact is, all of the suggestions on whether it's due or not are based on a string of theories as proposed by geologists. Yes there is a lot of science behind it, but no one can truly predict anything.
If just one theory has been wrong, everything after that theory and built upon it is also wrong.

I hope this doesn't lead to anything, but it certainly does look suspicious.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I agree, right now it seems rather impossible to actually predict something like this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join