It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA - Sludge Estimate Revised: 1,000,000,000 Gallons and Laden with Mercury and Arsenic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This was updated a few mintues ago, so not only did they misstate the orginal amount of sludge that was released from the power plant by 400%, but are now beginning to report how truly toxic it is.

The agency (EPA) said it found "several heavy metals" in the water in levels that are slightly above safe drinking-water standards but "below concentrations" known to be harmful to humans.

"The one exception may be arsenic,"

Oh yeah, that's a relief

They are also asserting that the miles of riverbanks that teem with dead fish are in no way impacted by the disaster.

Video footage from the river, a popular fishing site, reveals piles of dead fish on its banks. The TVA says that has nothing to do with the toxicity of the sludge, though environmental advocates say the ash contains concentrated levels of mercury and arsenic.

Note how the TVA/EPA seems to be at a loss, and/or have no concern, as to why all of those fish are dead. Furthermore, the scope of the hubris of that statement is breathtaking in how dumb and disconnected they think we are... sigh...

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
this has to be one of the more horrifying environmental F'ups in a long while.

46 times the size of the exxon valdes (sp).

heavy metals.. radiation... mmm, clean coal.

there is no possible way to clean all of it up.. it's too big.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
after a salmon spawn, they pile up dead all over the place on the side of the river cause they die right after.....somehow i don't think that's the reason tho!!! How dumb do they think we are
"k i know what it looks like.....".

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

I live in Knoxville, down wind about 20 miles from it.

Someone who went there to help, got sick immediately.

but as one person puts it, what is going to happen when it drys up and then starts blowing in the wind everywhere.

We are talking about huge problems - that will affect all areas down wind from it.

The EPA also said there was no problem in N.Y. after 911 - well we know better now.

This problem is the biggest enviromental disaster to hit the U.S., and they will hide behind everything. We can now look forward to lead, mercury, and many other heavy metals poisoning throughout East Tenn.

Kids will be affected - I will not be surprised when cancer rates start going up and up in this area.

You know they are not going to clean it up completely!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
You have my sincerest sympathy QG, as you are surely correct in all of your estimations in that you, and your neighbors throughout the area, will be dealing with the fallout from this for a very long time.

Do you know if, or who, locally is trying to monitor the clean-up situation -- exlcuding the TVA obviously? It may be worthwhile for a local group to set-up a fund which would give you the resources to monitor the river, fish, tap water, sediment, etc. for the coming years.

The costs would not need to be that great. I think if there were no administrative expenses and if it was set-up with total transperancy (i.e. online accounting available to donors/potential donors) the money could be easily raised. Also a local, or fancy ntl. activist, publicist could be asked to work pro bono to publish the results far and wide in the years to come.

If there is something like this already in the works, could you please post it so those of us who are so inclined could contribute?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
To tell you the truth i just hope the EPA does more then give them a slap on the wrist for something like this. You can't tell me they didn't have signs or maintenance reports that suggested they needed to enforce, or replace the containing area equipment. And if they didn't then the EPA should just shut them down immediatly.

Another example of big business making money and cutting corners.

new topics

top topics

join