It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kulongoski To Pursue 'Mileage Tax'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

I do not beleive HDTV is being promoted for our benefit.

Obviously you have no idea how capitalism works.

Of course it's not for our benefit... in capitalism it is all for the benefit of the corporation. As an owner of a corporation, I'm all for it.

Some people...

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Obviously you have no idea how capitalism works.

I am all for capitalism.

I am not for capitalism and government sleeping together. To me this is no different than church and state sleeping together. For I know that certain views and historical practices of capitalism and making moneys have a basis in religion. Hence I am against religion and government in the same bed together.

I know this for a fact by the planned debauchery of our currency...the American Dollar.

My reference to HDTV was in its ability to more clearly monitor inside our homes as will GPS combined with the telephone feature in automobiles.
It was not a reference to anticapitalism.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 30-12-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit

Originally posted by jtma508
35 miles/gal Prius

Really???? 35 MPG??
My 2.7L "gas-guzzling 4x4" does more than that!!

What a joke!!

That's because the poster hasn't got a clue. And you were gullible enough to believe it.

My Mothers Prius gets 60-70 MPG on average.

[edit on 30-12-2008 by HunkaHunka]
He's not "gullible", he's just making a point. Just because he doesn't know the exact MPG for certain cars doesn't make him gullible, it was the point he was making.

And if this does happen, it should be based on your average MPG for YOUR car alone. If not, then this is then most sided tax law I have ever seen.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This tax shouldn't ever exist period. If our governing bodies/officials accounted for and spent their money accordingly they wouldn't need to find new ways to impose ludicrous taxes.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

You obviously haven't kept up with the data on how many Prius's are not getting even close to projected milage figures and why so many are on used car lots not selling in this energy crunch. How about you go ask a Toyota dealer exactly what it costs to replace the batteries. They won't won't tell you. Heres a link to just a few of the problemsthiscar has instore for us in our 'Green' enviornment!!

www.consumeraffairs.com...

Zindo

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Wow Zindo,

You know I wondered the same thing about these new cars...the cost long term..not the short term claims about greening the enviornment.

I know enough about technology to be careful about first generation equipment until many of the bugs are worked out of it.
Also under my questioning attitude was the disposal of the batteries along with the replacement costs. How long would the batteries last..etc. etc.

You linked a long article of people with the same questioning attitude. It seems that many of them took a huge bite out of the green apple.

Thanks Zindo,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Collusion of Corporate entities and the State is not Capitalism, not by a long shot. HDTV was mandated by law by Bill Clinton, effectively forcing the public to purchase goods from a corporation, they even came up with "vouchers" funded by the US Taxpayer to make sure everyone can enjoy HD. That is not capitalism, don't kid yourself. Anyway....

No Ol' Teddy and his band of idiots in Salem won't remove the Gas Tax, they'll keep it there. They also are not calling this a tax, they are calling it a fee. In Oregon, all new tax increases have to be voted on by the people, calling it a "Fee" is a way of bypassing it. Of course it doesn't matter because Portland and Eugene are chalk full of Stupid people willing to give the Government anything they ask for.

Oregon is screwed, it has a number of different balance sheets, all of them in the red.

It tried to "pave the way" for free health care, it's bankrupt, the state has to borrow a ton of money to keep it going.

They don't give a crap about Private property. In fact they have this quasi governing body called METRO. Which is like a council of "experts" that plan and oversee the development of every community in the State. Essentially, if a city wishes to expand it's city limits, it would have to go through them first. News roads? New Buildings? You wanna put up a garage on your property? It all goes through METRO. My Mothers neighbor has an Acre of land in NE Portland, one of those few surviving neighborhoods from the 50's, when yards where important ya know. He wanted to put up a garage, a single car garage, attached to the side of his house. METRO would not allow it, because in 20 years there will be a road on that spot leading to and area which is now his backyard, which will be low income housing. He owns the property outright, it belongs to him, and yet.....he can't build a garage.

They've completely killed the only industry Oregon had, timber. Its gone, forever. Mills are expensive as hell to build and when they shut down, they rust, they corrode, those machines don't just "fire back up". Thousands of rural workers out of a job because of these idiots in Portland. Radical Environmentalists, The kind that hammer metal spikes into a tree so that when a faller goes in, his chainsaw breaks on the spike and cuts him in half. They forced out Private ownership citing the endangered "spotted owl", among other things. Once the forest couldn't no longer be maintained by Private industry any longer, the government took it over, didn't thin it out, the woods caught on fire, and killed the Stupid Spotted owl anyway.

If you are a rancher, they don't want you to shoot a wolf attacking your cattle, they will in fact fine you if you do. Just make a call to "animal control" (ROFL) And they will come out and capture the beast. So while you cattle are being shredded to ribbons by a rabid wolf, don't do anything, wait over an hour for animal control to show up capture it and release it a few miles down the road where it will promptly return to your property to finish killing the rest of your herd.

They've killed the fishing industry, they are actually paying fishermen to NOT FISH. And yet at the same time, they allow sea lions to hang out in reservoirs across the state, and eat endangered salmon to their hearts content.

This state is broke, and morally bankrupt, which is why I'm moving to Montana.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
GPS devices are for reporting POSITIONAL information. If they were only after mileage, it would be a lot simpler to just rig up an odometer monitor to periodically report via radio link and code number.

When this comes to pass, trashing your position monitor will be a "tax violation", same as posession of an unregistered machinegun is now. Hammer your 'puter, do a little time, courtesy IRS.

I don't know much about HDTV, as I don't partake, but the "Digital TV Revolution" that they snuck in through the back door is a bit worrisome to me. I reckon I'm about to abandon TV altogether.

ATT + Government link: right now, in central NC, there stands an "abandoned" ATT facility that is in reality an underground "continuity of government" bunker. no personnel seen above ground, weed covered and in "disrepair", but oddly enough it still takes regular deliveries via trucks that dissappear into a garage facility. The truck are subject to search, both in and out bound.

welcome to the brave new world, it's already upon us. And by the way, NC and several other states are now entertaining the notion of a "mileage tax".

I wonder how they'd strap a GPS transponder to a horse or a mule?

nenothtu out

[edit on 30-12-2008 by nenothtu]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join