It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 662
<< 659  660  661    663  664  665 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Royal76

ha....that took me a minute to get. I must be tired.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Earth directed magnitude m6.6 flare just released by the sun.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

We might get out of topic here. Are there any threads regarding this or can we make one to be able to air our disagreement?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Roald

I have to say Roald that I have looked many many times for proof of the effect of HAARP and NO ONE has ever been able to provide it.

I don't think Red Cloak or any other 'conspiracy theorists' out there have ever seen this information, in this manner, otherwise it would have been posted all round the web. Yes we can read the page you linked, but that is not the same as hearing if from someone who we sort of 'know' if you understand what I mean.

All I can say is:

Gob-smacked (maybe)

By the way no $1 million however as you did not follow the requested format for reply.

edit on 13/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

I don't have time to waste on disinformation agents like you. You are only here to spread disinformation and to mock, patronize, and condescend to others. I hate to break it to you, but people with intelligence don't care to play games with you. I am ignoring you because you are a disinfo agent. Deal with it and stop mocking me in your posts. There are plenty of stupid people that you can waste your shtick on. I'm not one of them.

And don't bother to tell me arrogant, rude, and ignorant things like "prove it or stop posting here" again. As far as I am concerned, you no longer exist. I will never respond to you again in this forum.
edit on 14-2-2011 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

I don't have time to waste on disinformation agents like you. You are only here to spread disinformation and to mock, patronize, and condescend to others. I hate to break it to you, but people with intelligence don't care to play games with you. I am ignoring you because you are a disinfo agent. Deal with it and stop mocking me in your posts. There are plenty of stupid people that you can waste your shtick on. I'm not one of them.

I have not mocked you at all. I have asked you to provide proof of your statements and you have failed to do so. It could be considered that failure to backup your statements with proof is itself a sign of disinformation. If by people of intelligence you are referring to yourself, why not just state that instead of making a statement calculated to upset me, which unfortunately for you failed.

And don't bother to tell me arrogant, rude, and ignorant things like "prove it or stop posting here" again.

I was not going to tell you that you were arrogant or rude and the very fact that you consider that I might highlights your own insecurity. I would not say "prove it or stop posting here" for the simple reason that ATS does not belong to me, I am not a moderator either and therefore it is not in my power to stop you posting here. I am however entitled to ask you to prove statements that you make, and will continue to do so.

As far as I am concerned, you no longer exist. I will never respond to you again in this forum.

A rather petulant statement I have to say which, considering your failure to respond so far in any coherent manner, holds little weight. Since you state that I no longer exist the second part of your statement is not required as I no longer exist in your eyes and therefore it would not be possible to respond.

Never mind. Maybe one day you will earn how to back up your statements and present a cogent argument.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I have followed this and other threads you are involved in PuterMan and I have learned alot from your posts.
It's obvious that geological matters are a big interrest to you and that you are well read up on it.
And I think we all should be thankful that you share some of that knowledge with the rest of us that are interrested in the same things here on ATS.

With that said I do however think that you at times have an arrogant tone to your replies.
It's human nature to be like that when you think you know more about a matter then others, or simply think that you are right and others are wrong.
I have seen this tone of arrogance applied by politicians and others that have very good knowledge in specific areas.
The hard thing here is not to gain more knowledge then others, but to treat them as equals DESPITE having that greater knowledge. That's what makes the whole difference between a good teacher and a bad one.

Mastering others are seldom a good way of convincing them or earning their respect.

That kind of behaviour doesn't bother me much personally - I know it's just psychology and human nature involved here. But obviously others are more sensitive to it.

Anyway - thanks PuterMan for all the work you put in here, but I think some people would appreciate it if you were a little gentler with the less knowing uf us

Since this thread lately have gotten a little off topic about Yellowstone herself, is there anything new going on besides the false quakes?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Roald

There you go my friend. A thread for us to disagree on - scientifically of course!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

I was going to reply on a u2u but I hope the mods will permit this off topic post.

You are right I can be arrogant and overbearing, it is a trait that I easily recognise in myself but i would just say this. When someone does not understand something I will go out of my way to explain and I am gentle on those occasions.

I have been known to u2u others who are berating someone for their lack of knowledge and ask them to go easy.

I understand when people cannot grasp a subject but my intolerance lies with those who do not attempt to get an understanding and continue to make statements without any evidence what so ever. I do not suffer fools gladly I admit, but a fool is a person who will not learn and not a person who does not know. That is a very big difference.

Knowledge is about seeking out information and many are not prepared to seek. These are the fools. On these people I will be hard, and I will continue to be hard. I am not going to defend myself as it is my nature and at my stage of life I am not going to change. If someone does not understand something I will explain, and I will do so backed up by sources. If someone should know better (in albeit my opinion) I will come down on them. If someone refuses to learn and makes unsupportable statements I will be arrogant and belittle them. I make no apology for that.

Earthquakes are a complex subject and let us be honest here on this thread and other earthquake threads I have learnt much. We all bounce ideas off each other and that way we learn. I am, as I have said many times, not an expert or a geologist. Many of my ideas are not conventional as far as earthquakes and geology go but I am always prepared to learn and to accept someone's point of view provided it is backed up by facts.

None of us 'know' anything about Yellowstone and to a great degree that includes the experts. That gives no one the right in my eyes to make statements that they cannot at least attempt to back up. It may prove in the long run that they are wrong or I am wrong. No matter. This is the way we learn, but we do not learn anything by making unsubstantiated unsupported statements. It is after all the motto of ATS. "Deny Ignorance"

I may not be a nice person, but I like myself

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

Part of the big issue here is people that are NOT educated at all about this topic
and come to this thread and others like it, posting nonsense.
In this thread there is SOOO much information about Yellowstone that if most were to
actually read it, they might know more than a park ranger at the park itself,.
Or maybe a practicing geologist,.
many come to this thread or create their own threads talking about things they how no clue of
and it is just to make an attempt to stir the doom kettle.
AS stated by Puterman, there is much great Q&A here. a great learning tool.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
"Results from a telephone survey conducted for Discovery Channel by Harris Interactive® reveal that only 22% of adults in America are aware of the term “supervolcano.” Supervolcano is a term used to describe a volcano containing a large caldera able to produce an exceedingly large, catastrophic explosive eruption, in some cases over 100 times bigger than the anything experienced by humanity over historic time. In scientific terms, a supervolcano implies a volcanic eruption of a magnitude of 8 on the Volcano Explosivity Index, meaning that more than 1,000 cubic kilometers of magma are erupted. When told that Yellowstone National Park, home of “Old Faithful,” is one of the few known examples of a supervolcano, 64 percent of adults surveyed said that they were unaware of that fact."

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
getting back on topic !

i guess thiis falls to me ..

nothing out of the ordinary going on at this time i checked the thumbnails and its quiet on the homefront for now.....

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

I'm always on topic. (snicker) Look, I posted that info on how uninformed people are about Yellowstone. It's all about Yogi. And Smokey. That poll was conducted before the release of the movie Supervolcano. I couldn't find anything newer. It would be interested to know if the movie helped. Or if people are in general more aware now due to the internet.

I think the idea of Geothermal drilling in Idaho is on topic. No one picked up the ball.

Did you know that they once tapped into the geyser system to use the geothermal energy to heat the hotel back in the late 1800's?

There were lots of pressures to privatize the lands and turn make it a resort.
Everyone could have a cabin heated and cooled by geothermal energy.
Hotels here and there monopolizing on the views.
Grand idea that greed stuff eh?

edit on 14-2-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Robin i know that your always on topic . geesh can a girl have some fun once in a while.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Hi folks!

I know that Puterman had emailed the USGS about potential "software" issues being the cause of earthquake deletions. And he posted the response he got here in this thread. However I wanted to email myself after the 4.6 that was deleted last week. I finally got a response back this morning and thought I would share it with you all.

I am "hoping" that what they are stating is the truth.

Thank you for contacting ASK USGS.

Please note the following statement from University of Utah regarding its seismograph stations that monitor Yellowstone.

Beginning October 1, 2010, the University of Utah Seismograph Stations has reduced the magnitude threshold for public web posting of automated earthquake locations and magnitudes for the Yellowstone region. The new minimum magnitude threshold is M 1.5, reduced from the previous threshold of M 2.5. The new threshold value will allow more earthquake information to be rapidly released to the public and other users. This lower magnitude threshold will be tested during a trial period and may be increased again.

Small earthquakes are common in the Yellowstone region. With the reduced magnitude threshold for web posting of automated earthquake locations and magnitudes, it will no longer be practical for seismologists to continue the practice of reviewing all of this information immediately after posting. Users of these data should be aware that an unreviewed earthquake report can be significantly in error and might even be a false alarm, regardless of the reported magnitude. The University of Utah Seismograph Stations will continue its policy of including only reviewed events in its finalized earthquake catalog.

From the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program FAQ's:

Q: Why do some earthquakes disappear?

We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact the USGS again.

USGS-Rolla, MO
Communications and Publishing
Science Information
888-ASK-USGS (275-8747)
Follow us on Twitter: @USGSASK

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
You know, if They are going to feed us a line, they should keep Their story straight

So what is it - software or dreaded ice

Ice and Snow at Yellowstone Cause Telemetry Problems

Recent telemetry problems, from ice and snow buildup on data transmission antennas, have caused intermittent malfunctions of the University of Utah's automated earthquake location system. The malfunctions result in false earthquake reports, which upon review, are then manually deleted from the earthquake catalog. The snow and ice buildup interferes with the continuous streaming of seismic data causing occasional signal dropouts. The dropouts cause spikes to appear in the data streams, which the automated system misinterprets as the abrupt appearance of a high amplitude seismic wave from an earthquake. Windy conditions, common this time of year, exacerbate the problem by contributing additional noise and thereby reducing the overall signal quality of the seismic data streams. In most cases, seismologists at the University of Utah can overcome these problems and still identify and locate earthquakes correctly. Seismic activity at Yellowstone remains at background levels.

Source

I am sorry, I truly believe They are manipulating data. Not for one minute do I believe that the equipment monitoring one of the largest calderas in the world is thrown off by snow and ice and/or shoddy software on a regular basis.

As far as I was informed, money was granted to Them for updated instruments to better monitor the park. What gives here.

Also Puterman, there was another incident just before 5:00 UTC Here that has the same signature as the other day. Both of these events were also found Here as well.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

SO, I have been trying very hard to keep the conspiracy theorist in me in check....but they are making it harder and harder. I want to review the different answers we have had:

1. The threshold has been lowered so the quakes are being posted before being reviewed. False quakes are therefore removed after being reviewed.

If this is the case, how come that doesn't happen with the Pacific Northwest Arrays? I have been watching for years and while they are UPDATEDl; meanig they are upgraded, downgraded and depth changed but they are rarely ever totally removed.

2. Weather. Snow and Ice build-up causing false quakes.

I call BS on this one. I mean, if this were the case than how come we don't see all these quakes being removed from other regions like Alaska or Iceland? If snow and ice were such an issue for 'false quakes' than we should see this all over the world. If every other cold region in the world has such better equipment than the super volcano Yellowston...we have major issues.

3. Software malfuntion

This one seems the most likely to me, because I have a hard time believing that the Yellowstone array would be so much more difficult to maintain and keep accurate than any other. My only problem here is that is has been going on for SO LONG. I mean come on!!! A software glitch is STILL causing false reporting??? You can't tell me that someone wouldn't have done something by now to fix this. How come it wasn't a problem before? Is this new software? If so, then just go back to the old one until it is fixed. I just have a hard time buying that it would go on for any longer than two or three days.

So there you have it...the three different answers the general public has been given and I personally think they ALL stink.

Anyone watching the park avidly for the past couple of years knows that recently ( four months or so?) they have gotten VERY messy. Meaning more and more often, different stations are glitchy and unreliable . They turned up the threshold this past month on all of the stations....from 200 to 1600 on most. Is it not possible that THIS could be the reason that we are not seeing smaller quakes in the park?

Okay...so the conspiracy theorist is rearing her ugly head, so I will just put it out there so you all can de-bunk it.

On all the other seismos that I watch, I can't recall any others that are set at 1600. The PNSN are all at 100 microvolts. The park used to be mainly 200 to 400. The highest used to be 600 I thin. So why, when we have this sudden change to 1600 microvolts, we also start seeing all these 'false' quakes removed? Is THIS how they can cover them up? By setting our viewing threshhold so hight that we can't see them for what they are?

Okay...I am done.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Weird that one. I have not loaded the 5am part as on listening to it there was nothing out of the ordinary, but take a listen to approx 1 hour from 03:00 onwards at 20 x speed.

1 hour of ???

Here is the spectrum for the 1 hour period.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3b6238a6a409.png[/atsimg]

See the third spike

Odd. Speeded up this is like the demon voices but what is the 'whistle'?

Water in the pipes or magma in the tubes?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

1. The threshold has been lowered so the quakes are being posted before being reviewed. False quakes are therefore removed after being reviewed.

If this is the case, how come that doesn't happen with the Pacific Northwest Arrays? I have been watching for years and while they are UPDATEDl; meanig they are upgraded, downgraded and depth changed but they are rarely ever totally removed.

What is their auto-reporting threshold? Does anyone know? Maybe you never get to see the ones that get deleted?

2. Weather. Snow and Ice build-up causing false quakes.

I call BS on this one. I mean, if this were the case than how come we don't see all these quakes being removed from other regions like Alaska or Iceland? If snow and ice were such an issue for 'false quakes' than we should see this all over the world. If every other cold region in the world has such better equipment than the super volcano Yellowston...we have major issues.

Alaska frequently reports in batches, long after the event, often days after the event. I see this happening all the time so you are not getting an immediate picture from Alaska by any stretch of the imagination. Iceland also has a number of deletions, and suffers from snow and ice but not quite to the extent of Yellowstone as it is not as high/cold.

3. Software malfuntion

This one seems the most likely to me, because I have a hard time believing that the Yellowstone array would be so much more difficult to maintain and keep accurate than any other. My only problem here is that is has been going on for SO LONG. I mean come on!!! A software glitch is STILL causing false reporting??? You can't tell me that someone wouldn't have done something by now to fix this. How come it wasn't a problem before? Is this new software? If so, then just go back to the old one until it is fixed. I just have a hard time buying that it would go on for any longer than two or three days.

Personally I have no problem what so ever with the explanation given by Jake at the YVO as far as the software is concerned.

Why not a problem before? It was, but the threshold was higher and therefore you did see as much of it. Don't forget that last year the park seismos were out for over a week because of snow and ice, and the same happens in Alaska frequently. In addition as I have mentioned before my records show that the incidence of deletions is much higher in the winter.

So there you have it...the three different answers the general public has been given and I personally think they ALL stink.

We I would have said they all one and the same answer, but maybe that is just me,

Anyone watching the park avidly for the past couple of years knows that recently ( four months or so?) they have gotten VERY messy. Meaning more and more often, different stations are glitchy and unreliable . They turned up the threshold this past month on all of the stations....from 200 to 1600 on most. Is it not possible that THIS could be the reason that we are not seeing smaller quakes in the park?

Could that possibly be because it is windy in the winter? Just a suggestion because I cannot be certain that it was not done last year but I have a vague recollection of it being mentioned.

The highest used to be 600 I think.

No that is not right. There have always been some at 1600 since I have been watching.

Peace
It is Valentines. Go get merry!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I don't believe the "glitch" explanation either. We're talking about people who record this stuff for a living - for a reason. Accurate reporting, I would think, would be what they would be MOST concerned with.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Accurate reporting, I would think, would be what they would be MOST concerned with.

Unless it is too scary!

What if they had an idea that Yellowstone was ready to blow? (I am not saying that it is!)

Could you imagine what would happen from there east to the Atlantic coast? Millions of people trying to get to another continent. Mass hysteria.

That is why I think that if they were to have info pointing to an eruption, they would keep it hidden as well as they could. JMHO.

ETA: I am not sure that they could predict the eruption accurately anyway.

edit on 14-2-2011 by butcherguy because: too add

new topics

top topics

<< 659  660  661    663  664  665 >>

join