It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Prospects of a Man-made Sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Scientists have been attempting to harness nuclear fusion since Albert Einstein’s equation E=mc², which he derived in 1905, raised the possibility that fusing atoms together could release tremendous amounts of energy.

Under Einstein’s theory, the amount of energy locked up in one gram of matter is enough to power 28,500 100-watt lightbulbs for a year. Until now, such fusion has only been possible inside nuclear weapons and highly unstable plasmas created in incredibly strong magnetic fields. The work at Livermore could change all this.

Scientists at the National Ignition Facility (NIF) in Livermore, nestled among the wine-producing vineyards of central California, will use a laser that concentrates 1,000 times the electric generating power of the United States into a billionth of a second.

The result should be an explosion in the 32ft-wide reaction chamber which will produce at least 10 times the amount of energy used to create it.

You can read the rest of the article here.

This all sounds amazing... or in other words too good to be true. Am i the only one who is skeptical... or even jaded enough to think that this is another ploy to get funding? Besides aren't we already producing energy in this way via nuclear plants?

[edit on 27-12-2008 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
hmmm... ok... instead of posting to this thread

hours latter people make more threads on the same subject

in science & technology
Scientists plan to ignite tiny man-made star

in breaking alt news
Scientists plan to ignite tiny man-made star

despite being the first to post a thread on the topic, no one has replied...
so mods for the sake of cleaning house and being a team player,
delete this thread if you see fit

[edit on 27-12-2008 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Already being discussed. Thread closed to avoid dupes.

join