It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Workers Who Intentionally Taint Your Food

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I've worked in the restaurant business for almost 20 years now, and during that time I've never seen anyone taint food with the exception of one guy dropping food on the floor and then putting it on the plate to be served. I confronted my co-worker, threw the food away in the trash, and had it recooked. I also informed management.

That guy got really mad, and he was mean and nasty to me. I was surprised they didn't fire him. Anyway, he did it again, and when I saw it, I did the same thing...threw the food away, had it recooked and told my manager. Anyway, the guy was either fired or he quit (I forget which), and he went to work at the restaurant across the road from where I work.

Anyway, other than that one guy, I've never seen anyone do anything do anything to taint food.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I would never, ever even consider doing anything bad to someone's food. I take pride in making sure that the food I send out is food I'm proud of and food which I would be happy for my family to eat.

[edit on 28-12-2008 by cornblossom]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by uplander

I hope you're right but I've seen so many people not give a damn in all areas of employment. With food service all it takes is one ignorant restaurant worker to undo all the good done by other employees.

Maybe what I have seen is the exception and not the rule but I did some google searches back when I was working at this restaurant. What I found was shocking. There was one story I believe it was in Massachusetts where a good many restaurant patrons became sick with a food borne illness. The investigation could not clearly point to the origin of the illness but it did single out one establishment. The manager it seems did not usually prepare food but in this one instance she helped with cold sandwiches it just so happened she wore a colostomy bag. A restaurant worker with a colostomy bag I mean

I am glad you feel so confident but imo standards have been lowered across the board in all areas. I'm just not that trusting especially when it involves food and medical services. I worked for a small town Dentist once that's a whole other horror story. I have just seen far too much to simply dismiss it. Imo there is a good majority of people who in fact are seriously lacking in common sense and work in food service.

Haven't you ever watched Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares? I know there is the shock factor to get viewers but it's not far off from the very things I've seen. A lot of it is not intentional just a result of laziness and ignorance which can be just as deadly.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

I haven't ventured back to one of my previously favorite chain restaurants, Texas Roadhouse, here in WI, as it became the location for a national headline where a cook placed his hairs from below in a gentleman's steak after he complained about it.

Hair in my steak?

delius

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

You want fries with that burger Mister?

[edit on 28-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   

oh yeah. totally.
in my space of time on earth, i have had the pleasure of knowing 1 certifiable sociopath.
(i won't go into detail but it's a good 4 beer story...)

[edit on 12/28/2008 by zooplancton]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

To do this to an unsuspecting and paying customer is deplorable IMO. I know a police officer here that became violently ill after eating at a Chili's here, he went to the emergency room and his stomach was pumped, the contents were sent to a crime lab, and yes, someone had urinated on his food! He said it is very hard as a cop to find somewhere to eat out while working, because of this, but it is a crime, and in his case the culprit was arrested, due to video evidence.

I never send food back, if I am that displeased with my order, I will request a refund if it is aleady paid for, or ask for management and plead my case that I refuse to eat food after it had been sent back, unless I may go back with the food, in that case they will ask you to leave.

I hate to admit it but I have a nephew who for several years, was well known to spit into foods, rub them on a dirty floor, dip lettuce into dirty dishwater, the list goes on. As a teenager he thought it was pretty funny, as an adult, he won't eat out. He worked for Mcdonalds, Applebees, and several local flavor restruants.

There isn't any management of this, and there should be. Can you imagine how much any given teen employee really cares about your food in the first place? Then piss them off by sending it back?

Great subject/topic, star and flag!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
When I was a kid a friend of ours was a chef at a upscale restaurant,he told us"Never have your food returned because it's an insult to the chef" he said they did some pretty sick stuff to the food,after hearing that I always kept dining out to a minumum,and if steak wasn't cooked to my liking,I ate it anyway,and would tip accordingly

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

To do this to an unsuspecting and paying customer is deplorable IMO. I know a police officer here that became violently ill after eating at a Chili's here, he went to the emergency room and his stomach was pumped, the contents were sent to a crime lab, and yes, someone had urinated on his food! He said it is very hard as a cop to find somewhere to eat out while working, because of this, but it is a crime, and in his case the culprit was arrested, due to video evidence.

This reminded me of when I worked in OR (pre-trial release) at a major California jail (hated it). We were invited to eat for free, along with all the beat cops, etc., at the dining hall there in the county building that also housed the mail jail.

On my first night there, the very first thing they told me was the jail inmates cook the food. And told me a story about a beat cop that ordered food that had to be prepared and was taken out on a stretcher to an ambulance. Is this not government logic at its very best? Let's have the jail inmates prepare the food for everyone in law enforcement. Good idea. Needless to say, no one ate anything that wasn't already in a box, etc.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have worked as a dishwasher, busser, and server while in college. I took pride in all aspects. Now that I do not have to work there I do know not to send food back. Like one poster said, ask for a refund or make no comment at all.

There are some exceptions. Once while in PA. my family went to a Perkins restaraunt. I wasn't very hungry so just ordered a hamburger. I took one bite into it and noticed some kind of string. It was part of a washrag! Needless to say I was not hungry at all at that point.

The manager said he would give me a free burger to go and I said the only way out of it was the entire meal at no charge. Considering it was rather busy and he did not want to get to loud he agreed. I still gave the server a good tip. It wasn't her fault.

I used to love going to the local Outback here in town until somone told me that the kitchenstaff does not have a designated rest area and will leave their own drinks and food laying around in the kitchen. I do not have any proof, but am unwilling to take that chance.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
People who contaminate food this way should be charged with assault and thrown in jail.

If the perpetrator should have an incurable disease, regardless of how immediately fatal it is, that person should also be charged with attempted murder an given the death penalty if they infect a child.

Enforcing the Law more often and with harsh penalties would make these sick people think twice.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
What I really found surprising in my situation was the apathetic attitude by other staff. I was trained by a woman who had been the prep cook for years she repeatedly warned me to watch this dishwasher. Her main problem was the dishwasher had waist long hair and wore no hair net. She constantly scratched at her scalp and would sling her hair around. This prep cook had told me she did not trust the prep sink so she didn't wash any of the produce she prepared. This was the first change I made and was the reason I came close to beating the snot out of this dishwasher when I found her contaminating my sink. Produce must be washed!

When I told my managers about this I was told the dishwasher had a note from her Dr. stating she had a scalp condition and had sores on her scalp! Hair nets would have worsened the condition so she was exempt from wearing them.

Maybe people with this "condition" should not work in a field where hair nets are required. I don't know maybe it's just me but I don't get it. Everyone of my co-workers knew how gross she was but didn't really think about it until I began telling them in a very graphic way just what she was doing. My night manager suggested maybe I was too clean.

I almost made a couple workers puke when I told them she was scratching her head scabs with her filthy long nails then would put dishes away, fold napkins, retrieve ice and would help herself to the cold cheese shreds, lettuce and tomatoes prepared for the cooks use. Most of these people needed their jobs and knew nothing would be done so I guess the alternative, quitting, was not acceptable to them. I've never had trouble finding jobs my standards were always #1 with me.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I worked in McDonalds for a couple years and, mercifully, the owner had very exacting standards. a couple times, the kitchen staff did try to mess with the food (spitting on it). We were encouraged to report that type of behavior and the perpetrators were fired on the spot. It was the ONLY McDonalds I've ever felt comfortable eating at
(of course, now my worries at McD's are along the lines of "will my cheeseburger be properly stacked" but that's another story).

I did make the mistake of sending back food once. I got a steak that was bleeding when I cut it open (after ordering is medium-well). The steak came back burned to a crisp with some kind of gooey (loogie?) crap on it. Management was so difficult about the whole affair, I actually got up and walked out of the restaurant. First and only time I've done that.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I'm a bartender who once in a while has to play waiter in a very upscale restaurant in north Scottsdale, AZ. For those who don't know what Scottsdale is like, think Beverly Hills jr. Lots of people who think they are wealthy, and very few who actually are.

Without a doubt, I can completely understand why some people would go above and beyond to mess with peoples food.

Nothing dangerous, but the hidden joy of watching some arrogant snob bite into a steak that you know was on the floor 5 minutes ago is indescribable.

I am far from a sexist, but a table full of women is the absolute worst thing a foodservice worker can go through. They are demanding, want separate checks (yes, had a table of 22 of them last night, and each wanted a separate check. They didnt get it) and want to modify everything they order to the point it doesnt even remotely resemble to the item on the menu.

The snotty attitude displayed by these women who have accomplished nothing in life other than spreading their legs for a rich guy is the reason some service workers might push the boundaries of appropriateness, but unless you have been there and seen it, you should at least try to refrain from condemning them

[edit on 29-12-2008 by Government Cheese]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I would never eat in a restaurant or cafe again, or drink in a pub or a club. I just got sick of people putting stuff in my food, or drink.

These people get paid to do a job, and the last time i am on about, the job i was working on, those people working in the cafe there should be in prison, for putting stuff in my food. I was going to goto the police, but what was the point, there are only there to help those types of people.

Like i said, i would never drink in a pub or eat in a cafe again, unless its like a bag of crisps, or the drink comes in a bottle, that i hold all the time.

To say i was lucky to come out of these things, is an understatement. Like i said lenty of times people are scum.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I am going to assume you think your food was tainted and you did absolutely nothing wrong correct?

If its happened multiple times, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you sir are the problem.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Government Cheese

How would i be the problem, the last time i am trying to goto work, and no i will not get into it, and i am not the problem.

Lets just say what was done to me was well known, and how these scum do this and get away with it is beyond belief.

You place trust in people working in these things, and i will leave it there.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kattraxx
Everyone's heard about restaurant staff intentionally tainting customers' food, for one reason or another.. or for no reason at all...A New York waiter, who for years wrote an anonymous blog called Waiter Rant, now has a book out...

A star to the poster for drawing attention to Waiter Rant. I came across this blog a while back and since then I've become a better customer (tip well when warranted, etc). The level of writing is so good that I purchased his book as a Christmas gift for my son...also a fan. I recommend it highly.

As to adulterating my food...I've never had it done that I know of, but I'm reluctant to send food back, just in case. I simply don't go back. It doesn't address the problem, but I don't compound the unpleasantness, either.

Don't know if a link to his site is permitted, so if not, Mods, just delete this paragraph. waiterrant.net...

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Government Cheese

I know exactly what you mean yes some of the rich wannabes can be a pain but it has been my experience these types of people will get theirs. There are more pleasurable ways to demean an obnoxious customer. When I feel I must I prefer to do it face to face.

Usually these women would come in with nanny/kids in tow and would often request a separate dining room for the kids & nanny. So I would have to run after two demanding tables for one tip.

I remember one woman who was so rude and demanding I gave her the same quality service as other customers. To purposely give bad service to the inconsiderate, brainless would've lowered me to their level of existence. No I put up with this horrible woman even when I saw her taking back some of the tip her husband was leaving for me. After they left I was in the bar when the husband came rushing back. He thanked me for my quality, friendly patient service and passed me a $50 without his wife's knowledge.

I knew It was simply the right thing to do. I chose that job and knew the hazards that came with it. We had many regular customers some were despised by other servers and they would plead with me to take them. One referred to as Mr. Pain in the @%# became one of my favorite customers and a very good tipper. He was just set in his ways and wanted things a certain way. I complied and we had no problems he always requested me. I found the difficult customers to be a worthy challenge and a true test of my character. Other people do take notice.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I've been in the restaurant biz for 12 years and worked in every joint imaginable. I have never witnessed anything of that nature. That's not to discount the fact that it has never happened because there's no doubt it has somewhere.

I would bet the percentage of restaurant employees who have actually performed any of these acts is incredibly small. While a good portion of them are lazy and poor employees, their orientation is not of a nature to do these things.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I have worked in kitchens most of my life. Firstly I love to cook, and its kinda a passion and art to me! Sure some of the places I work are short order places, that offer beer and wings. A Cheese steak, and Tbones, with lobster tails. Is about as fancy as some of those places would get.

I can say 100% I would NEVER ever spit in, or mess with someones food!
100% I would never do that to you unless you gave me good reason!

So if you are being a royal pain in the ass to one of my girls waiting on you, and she tells me how rude and nasty you are, and bring them to tears in the back of my kitchen.. Well Im not going to spit in your food.
Im going to give you a Mc Nasty!!! And a Mc Nasty is taking old grill scrapings from the whole day and layer your food with this nasty grease!
Its a more subtle hint, and leaves a really bad taste in your mouth.
And those little crunchy things you get stuck between your teeth, are from 12 hours ago scrapped into a grease pit that goes out at the end of the night!
OR sometimes I would take your burger, and opps, drop it on the ground, then cook it up.. Maybe I would step on your food with my dirty boot, Opps, happens sometimes! WE call that old chinese spice!!

But rest assure, you come into my kitchen, and act like a gentalman, or proper lady, you HAVE nothing to worry about!
And if your food wasnt done right, well you have every right to wanna fix that! Its okay I deal with that often!
But if you keep on sending it back, becasue you had a bad day, and want to take it out on others.. Well thats when you get something bad happen to you in places like this.

One expample.. I had a table of 6 outfront.. And 3 kids where at that table, I needed to use the Bathroom, and I go, and see 2 of the kids comming out of the BR. When i go in.. The sink is overflowing with water, paper was stuffed into the sink.. And they took paper towles and got them all wet and blasted them up to the ceiling!!! Little bastards, I had to clean up that MESS!

Well I was sure to cook their steak and cheese!! Muwahahaha!
I took all the grill grime! And added it to their steak and cheese! And I put the cheese over it and melted it down to where they couldnt see what was under neath.. Which was a pile of nasty old Grill GRIME!!! Yummy!

I hope they enjoyed their nasty crap!!!

Advice! Dont Mess with the people who prepare your food!!!
Always be kind, and if something is wrong with your food, just be nice about it, and we will be more than happy to fix it! With no extras in your food!

Just to note.. I was kitchen manger.. And if I ever saw anyone of my kitchen dogs doing something bad to food, I would totally fire them!!!
There is a time and a place for these things!!!

And I wouldnt serve something out if I wouldnt eat it personally!! Thats my code.. Yet if you hurt anyones feelings, or act like a JACKass..
Well bon appetite!!!!

Thats the truth!

Hey sorry there guys.. I just tell it how it is.. And this thread was in need of some truth.. So I put it out how I have seen it.. When you work in a kitchen for 15+ years.. You tend to know more about how things work than the normal person..
So that whole salad comment was a little off base.. And Im sorry for saying that here..
But its true if your a [snip] and wanna take your anger out when you come to my kitchen, then expect to be treated as you treat others..

Nuff said

[edit on 29-12-2008 by zysin5]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join