It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama on Gaza: 'No Comment'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Of course the guy is on his last real vacation hes going to have for the next four years. I wonder if maybe just maybe he would like to relax just a bit and not have to send out a sound bite for every thing in the world that isn't his problem just yet.

Did anyone hear anything from our current president about this incident?

It's amazing, the guy can duck a shoe and duck his responsibilities as leader of the free world!

So Obama will be criticized for not saying anything even though he doesn't have the power nor does he have the real authority to say anything. He of course would be criticized if he had said something so it's a no win situation for a guy who hasn't even been sworn in yet!

FlyersFan you surprise me. Now you obviously know that this can't be a "present vote" because right at this moment Obama is neither a senator nor is he the president. He right at this moment is a citizen. The president elect. Not the one that is in charge. This isn't a "present vote" He can't do anything about it anyway. So why criticize him for something he has no power over?

[edit on 12/27/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
reply to post by Maxmars

No, his silence shows he condones the attack in Gaza, probably gave his approval. If he was outrage, he should express it without any fear of retaliation by the Jews if he actually believes in peace.

I cannot accept your interpretation without more information. There is no 'royal' need to invoke consent from silence. Mr. Obama cannot put a stop to what is happening, he can only complicate the matter.

But then, there is no way to deny, the 'human' nature he refuses to display will only cost him a different currency. I suspect many will be drawn to your conclusions; I only suspect that it would be too easy and simple to accept that as the 'real' reason he will not express his 'take' on the situation. It may very well be part of it, but I can't expect this to be simply a matter of lines on a map, and who owns what.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
You said "That hasn't stopped him before," in reference to my post that he was not president, yet.

I do not remember him ursurping any powers of the sitting President. If you have evidence of such, please post it. I believe Obama to be a cautious man who is aware of his position and responsibilities. It would be irresponsible of him to presume to speak for the country. If there are negotiations or talks going on behind the scenes, he realizes that statements he made without knowing the details could disrupt them. Further, he does not shoot from the hip. He has not telegraphed his moves or positions until he has had time to develop them through consultations with advisors.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

He have give "his" opinion to every news in headlines in recent weeks, why this issue is surprisingly different?

- At least I have waited his stand in this event for whole day, and this was everything I have found... - Nothing.

For me this is just one nail more in coffin, what has been alarmed widely from his Israeli mascot status... That guy is just very dangerous to us all!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Of course the guy is on his last real vacation hes going to have for the next four years.

All hope of any 'real vacation' ended once he was elected.
Just because he hasn't sworn in yet doesn't mean that he's 'off the clock'.
He will not have a 'real vacation' until he is out of office.

Presidents are never really on vacation.
And neither are the POTUS elects.

it's a no win situation for a guy who hasn't even been sworn in yet!

Of course. That's what being POTUS (and POTUS elect) is all about.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

Yeah lets all be cautious about this issue. Don't say anything, and the world moves on. Say something, and the Israels be pissed and probably put a bullet in your head. Don't say anything, and the Muslims will think you gave approval and you're just another Jewish puppet.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
I do not remember him ursurping any powers of the sitting President.

Giving an opinon on a major international crisis isn't 'ursurping powers'.
Extending sympathy or understanding to one or other group - or expressing his hope for peace in the future - isn't ursurping powers.

He has not telegraphed his moves or positions until he has had time to develop them through consultations with advisors.

rephrased ... He has not telegraphed his moves or positions until his Bildeberger handlers have had time to tell him what to say and how to act.

pterideine - in all seriousness - I hear you and I understand what you are saying. However, Obama should make a comment on the situation. It would be approprate to say something - without 'ursurping power'.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I think Obama did the right thing. There can only be one President at a time. Once he is sworn in then he can voice his opinion. If he was to speak now and contradict what Bush says or does, it could only serve to make things worse.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

If that is his strategy then perhaps he should be carrying this to everything - all the issues. Afterall, he has been VERY vocal on many, many issues. But on this - silence. It's very strange.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

He can't speak for the US, yet, but anything he says will be taken as such.

I believe that he is forced to be silent on the issue at this time.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Just heard on tv that obama spokesman said Obama is monitoring situation but that there is only one president at a time.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
He seems to think hes a hollywood icon .. sorry but the 'no comment' card for your PRESIDENTIAL JOB will not fly..

You wanted the job .. time to start showing yourself

[edit on 27-12-2008 by Cio88]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
At the risk of being accused of "coming out of the woodwork to defend Obama"

Bush didn't comment either.

Bush, who is on vacation at his Texas ranch, was briefed on the Israeli air strikes on Gaza by his national security adviser Stephen Hadley and spoke by telephone with Rice, White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

He did not provide any other details of those conversations.

But that's ok. he's just the president.

It's amazing how when the Obama bash-fest begins, "he's our President-elect and should say something!" But at other times, "he's NOT the president-elect officially and will NOT be until January 6th when it's made official". His position of importance in our government and to our country depends on whether it's convenient to have him be important or a nobody to the bashers.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Does this seriously surprise anyone? Obama surely has received a lot of campaign donations (indirectly) from the Israeli lobby (AIPAC). America has become a complete joke that cannot be taken serious any longer.

[edit on 27-12-2008 by Mdv2]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

You said: "America has become a complete joke that cannot be taken serious any longer."

Why so? Because the President-Elect chose not to speak out on a delicate issue? Because you think that he is influenced by Israeli lobbyists? Would you like to help Obama and make a statement for him, since you know all there is to know about Gaza. You could also denounce the Israeli lobbyists who are influencing him. We are certain that your opinions will be highly valued and are not the "complete joke" that you say an entire country has become.
Whether the countries of the world agree or disagree with US policies, the one thing that they all do is to take the US seriously.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Mdv2

You said: "America has become a complete joke that cannot be taken serious any longer."

Why so? Because the President-Elect chose not to speak out on a delicate issue? Because you think that he is influenced by Israeli lobbyists? Would you like to help Obama and make a statement for him, since you know all there is to know about Gaza. You could also denounce the Israeli lobbyists who are influencing him. We are certain that your opinions will be highly valued and are not the "complete joke" that you say an entire country has become.
Whether the countries of the world agree or disagree with US policies, the one thing that they all do is to take the US seriously.

Because the US is trying to police the world with double standards for far too long. Spreading democracy right? Meanwhile torturing people in Gitmo and Abu Ghraip. Condemning Russia for retaliating in Georgia while supporting Israel retaliating on Hamas. The list goes on and on.

You want a statement for your nice new president?

Here you go:
President Nicholas Sarkozy of France, who holds the rotating European Union presidency, said he “firmly condemns the irresponsible provocations that have led to this situation, as well as the disproportionate use of force,” according to an e-mailed statement.

America is nothing more than a bankrupt country which has lost most of the respect it once had all over the world.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Perhaps President Bush, our sitting President, will make a statement. Obama does not yet speak for the US and you chose not to suggest some words for him.

Now that France has spoken, what will they do? Will they stop the violence? Will they convince Hamas to stop firing rockets and making martyrs? Will they shoot down Israeli aircraft? Will they negotiate a peace accord? Will they just make more statements?

Who takes Europe seriously?

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Mdv2

Perhaps President Bush, our sitting President, will make a statement. Obama does not yet speak for the US and you chose not to suggest some words for him.

Now that France has spoken, what will they do? Will they stop the violence? Will they convince Hamas to stop firing rockets and making martyrs? Will they shoot down Israeli aircraft? Will they negotiate a peace accord? Will they just make more statements?

Who takes Europe seriously?

Israel is only going to be stopped once the US economy has fully collapsed. There's no doubt on my mind that will happen, the question is when will it happen. So yes you are right, there's is some countries taking the US serious: Israel.

Perhaps you have been living under a stone the past six months but it was the EU which brokered a peace deal between Russia and Georgia. In fact, Russia didn't even want to speak to the US. It was the EU that took some serious action to prevent as much damage as possible as a consequence of this American financial crap. It was the EU that sent forces to Chad and Lebanon. What does your government do? It sends forces to Iraq so the rich few can benefit. Oh and it supports Israel unanimously while vetoing every treaty condemning Israel for war crimes.

Could you reply to my comparison please (that of Georgia-Israel, and Gitmo and democracy) ? I don't like it so much when people pick out certain parts to reply.

Edit: oh and by the way, your lame duck president has already made a statement: condemning Hezbollah while not condemning Israel. Additionally, Obama has made various statements on the economic crisis after he was elected, so why couldn't make a statement on this? Because he too, is influenced by the Israeli lobby.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
At least he could have said present.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

It is always heartening to see that Europe has learned from the US. Certainly, brokering the negotiations between the Russians and Georgians were important. The Russians were worried about their pipeline going through Georgia and the Europeans were, also.
The US led the reluctant Europeans to stop the Bosnian genocide. The Europeans now officially watch the genocide in Darfur and claim superior motives. Some of the problems of Africa lead directly back to European colonialism. I believe the Dutch had a hand in some of them.

The US policies you condemn do not reflect the positions of all Americans. Your insistence that the President-elect make a statement on an important issue before he is President and that also aligns with your personal view may not be realized. It is unfortunate that you think what you do but perhaps that opinion will change over the next four years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join