It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military adapting Wii controller for combat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Military adapting Wii controller for combat

rawstory.com

Military contractors are planning to use a popular video game controller to control combat robots.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
As I was watching my kid playing with his new WII Xmas gifts I ran across this article.

Ughhhh talk about a Xmas buzzkill!

I realize that the military has been using remote weapons for decades some with "joysticks" this was eerie to me. All the little munchkins being pre trained for future combat.

Makes you wonder if Nintendo received any type of funding for their popular game unit!

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This is actually pretty neat. I could most certainly see the usefulness of this in EOD situations. Although with all the problems i've had with my wii-mote I wonder how they'll make it completely reliable.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Here is the video!

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Robot wars for sure. It's the future my friends. Next will be AI in the robots. Then we really need to watch out. Here come the Terminators.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Sometimes I think the millitary adopts these types of technology purely in an effort to woo recruits from the younger, "hipper" generation. When I was in high school, the big thing was Doom. Suddenly, shocker of shockers, we started getting recruitment propaganda touting the millitary's acquisition of a contract with Williams games for a special modified build of Doom that was geared towards helping train our millitary. Personally, I think it's more than a little ridiculous to think the most advanced, technologically equipped fighting force on the planet can gain anything from a consumer level electronic video game console which isn't even close to cutting edge when compared to it's competitors the PS3 & XBOX360.

It reminds me of the kids who used to play flight simulator on their Commodore 64s and suddenly thought they were qualified to fly a 747.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Well, I don't see us winning any battles with since the Wii controls suck.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I've seen em use playstation/xbox360 style controllers for robotic vehicles before, so this isn't anything new to me.

If this whole games to battlefield scenario does play out, you'd have to hand it to Orson Scott Card for calling it in Ender's Game.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Something I do not understand: is not the US govmnt spending hundred of billions on black budget project? I allways expected that the cutting edge tech of the civilian economy was already invented by the military like 30 years ago..
it looks like I was wrong! Hi5!

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaBears
Well, I don't see us winning any battles with since the Wii controls suck.

i tend to agree. I have a Wii with dust on it. Well...the kids play it occassionally...but we put so much mileage on our XBOX 360 that i bought a second one for back up (since the console sucks really bad and requires repairs frequently....but it is a primary entertainment source for us, with games and movies, as well as our friends list we use to keep in touch with folks).

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

I wonder exactly what part of the robots will be controlled by this controller. In some instances the wii controller performs horribly, it's alright for gimmicky games, but anything requiring a decent control of movement in a 3d environment can be tricky depending on the game.

Or to put it bluntly as another poster has, the wii controller sucks.

Edit for a note: That reporter swinging the wii controller around was really hamming it up, he seemed like an actor :?

[edit on 26-12-2008 by Lazyninja]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
LOL!!!

"All your Wii's are belong to us"!!

Im sure the war will be fought with versions of controllers that are a bit more complex and not so flimsy to their consumer counterparts.

I can see it now, the soldier with the controller yelling "Wiiiiiiiiiiiii" working the robot! It will be the new war cry!!!!

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 26-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I agree I don't think they are talking about consumer electronics! They are taking a familiar interface and adapting the interface for military applications!
Thus reducing the learning curve dramatically with a cadre of children raised on WII!

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The military must be out of their mind to even consider this idea. The Wii controller, while fun, is not very accurate. For instance, when I play Wii Tennis, I can just do the same quick flick and it will register as both a forehand volley and a backhand volley! Navigating the menus can be a bit of a nightmare. I haven't played Red Steel but it's supposed to have horrible control. Tiger Woods is fine when swinging off the tee, but when it comes to putting it doesn't respond at all.

Hence, my Wii gathers dust most of the time. Its main selling point is also its weakest.

[edit on 26-12-2008 by RiotComing]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

So, I see a lot of talk about how advanced the US Military is and how they use the cutting edge technology. If this is true why did it take until now for the Military to use this technology? Now I realize that there are some hidden military operations so we dont see a lot of this really high tech technology. But who is using this high tech? Not just this one but any others? Some of the technologies could provide a huge advantage over other govts militarys so it would seem that if the US govt has some of these technologies and were using them behind the scenes, wouldnt US govt be able do whatever they want? Why are there so many situations where we let soliers struggle in combat but apparently, secretly they have better technologies that they are not letting the soldiers use? This just doesnt make sense.

This is just some random thought I had after I saw this article. Anyone have any input

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RiotComing

I was about to say the same thing
The wii remote is pretty ghetto when it comes to motion sensor tech.

new topics

top topics

join