It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokeless Fire...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Alright... Sit X is here... We have worked hard to prepare and we are laying low for a bit, letting all the minnows and sheeples loose their minds and riot, pillage and go nuts...

You're relaxing in your temp hiding place, just watching the world burn and you see a nice chipmunk begging to be made into your famous double chipmunk quarter pounder (hold the cheese please).

You shoot the sucker and skin his carcass, preparing for the wonderful meal that nature has given you. But wait! If you light a fire (because we all know quarter pounder chipmunk burgers are best hot) surely someone will see the smoke and come to investigate.

This puts you in quite a situation.

So, how can you make a smokeless fire?

[edit on 26-12-2008 by Jkd Up]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Good question.

If you were say only cooking a small amount of meat you should only really need a small fire which it's self should not give off to much smoke.
Alot would also depend on the sort of population you have in your area.
If there was only a small amount of people in your area, you might get away with it.

I'm over in England and as you maybe aware, I would have to lie low for months for the population to decline dramatically before I could even think about having a squirrel burger on a smoking fire.

spelling

[edit on 26-12-2008 by colec156]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
sterno cans, coleman fuel, naptha, propane, natural gas. All of these things produce a smokeless flame.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The Australian army (and most likely most other armies) have smokeless cookers.

I've used it once before on a camping trip.

Edit:

Found a link to a similar product:
Link

Cheers

[edit on 26-12-2008 by Chadwickus]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I know sterno and stuff like that... But eventually they will run ot. I think I say an Indian (Native American) oven once, but can't remember how it was made to diffuse the smoke.

Just trying to get some ideas from the (always colorful) experts here at ATS.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Keep it hot and dry. Smoke is caused by fireless, damp, or charcoal fires. Don't use tinder, use average sized sticks that burn out completely and quickly. If you have a log, it will smoke. If you have twigs, leaves, or needles, they'll smoke. So, keep it small, hot, fiery, and dry with no debris. That is your best bet.

Otherwise, you can make an underground fire-pit, using hot coals (but, you have to have hot coals, first, and that might be the problem) and then bury the blaze with some sand, rocks, and vegetation. The coals need oxygen.

I think the best option is the have a stove, whose "stove-pipe" can be filtered through water, vegetation, or disguised otherwise by nature.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
I know sterno and stuff like that... But eventually they will run ot. I think I say an Indian (Native American) oven once, but can't remember how it was made to diffuse the smoke.

Just trying to get some ideas from the (always colorful) experts here at ATS.

Got another one for you:

This was believed to be the brain-child of a Pommy sailor, the first of the famous "blowers". Made simply from a couple of 'KLIM' ([Canadian] milk powder) tins, a fish can - remember the old 'goldfish?' and a bit of canvas material, to form the bellows. Compact, quick, portable, smokeless and burning only a bit of charcoal; these could be used inside the huts and at night-time, after the huts were locked, became an unrecognised menace to health by the production of copious quantities of carbon monoxide. Those of us who had nothing to cook were prompted to cry: "where did those bastards get that food?' and 'blowers to the s...house.'

Link

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Is there a design of chimney stack that would dilute the smoke to a barely noticeable wisp/scent?

The VC used a method that enabled a kitchen to function underground in the tunnel complexes but vented the smoke in such a way above ground that made its presence barely detectable at the surface

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
SOLAR COOKING MY FRIEND! I never go anywhere with out my fresnel lens. YOu can get Cheap Fresnel lens from most any tv repair shop.. Just ask if you can have their old ones from broken TVs 9 times outta ten they will have no problem at all with it.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Not to throw in a monkey wrench but anything you cook can be smelled.

Going through survival school we could smell things being cooked inside the instructor's camper which was about 1/2 a mile away just like it was sitting in front of us. Oh and yes we tracked his camper down and knocked on the door.

You might want to stick to some type of sushi if their actually looking for you in an isolated place.

Edit: and just in case you were wondering it was scrambled eggs with onions and peppers.

[edit on 26-12-2008 by Darthorious]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I think the main problem would be the heat signature seen by infra-red satellites, planes, drones, etc. Flyovers looking for heat signatures would be a very effective way to find people. Maybe I'm wrong.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
use dry dead wood,build it under a pine tree to spread the little smoke there is

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Alright... Sit X is here...

I choose to use my brain and not put myself at risk, I dig a hole line it with stones or cobbles or even bricks, pile a load of fuel such as wood or coal into it, and set fire to it. Now being a survivalist its not only smoke I wish to avoid but smell as well. So as soon as the fire takes hold I clear off to a safe location where I can watch safely until the fire burns down until its as clean as it can get, and has heated up the stones til they are as hot as possible.
Then I check around to see if anyone has responed to the smoke or smell, if all clear I go back into camp and put the squirrel into the embers wrapped in either bacofoil or mud. I then fill up the hole with the earth I originally dug out and leave it for about 12 hours.

The squirrel cooks in its own juices in heat provided by the charcoal embers and hot stones buried out of sight and smell of bad guys.

I return at a later time and retrieve from the smokeless odourless fire one cooked squirrel and withdraw from the area.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Alright... Sit X is here...

I choose to use my brain and not put myself at risk, I dig a hole line it with stones or cobbles or even bricks, pile a load of fuel such as wood or coal into it, and set fire to it. Now being a survivalist its not only smoke I wish to avoid but smell as well. So as soon as the fire takes hold I clear off to a safe location where I can watch safely until the fire burns down until its as clean as it can get, and has heated up the stones til they are as hot as possible.
Then I check around to see if anyone has responed to the smoke or smell, if all clear I go back into camp and put the squirrel into the embers wrapped in either bacofoil or mud. I then fill up the hole with the earth I originally dug out and leave it for about 12 hours.

The squirrel cooks in its own juices in heat provided by the charcoal embers and hot stones buried out of sight and smell of bad guys.

I return at a later time and retrieve from the smokeless odourless fire one cooked squirrel and withdraw from the area.

Always enlightening to hear from you friend! you always add such a definitive point to posts.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Agreed. Northern Raider, your knowledge is much appreciated here.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
reply to post by Jkd Up

Agreed. Northern Raider, your knowledge is much appreciated here.

Just trying to do my bit to improve peoples chances

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Something I have noticed with alot of the recent survivalist posts is that most are forgetting one important thing.

SHARING.

If you got someone smelling your fancy chipmunk burger on the fryer, and they are hungry, why not share and then teach them how to hunt one for themselves? Why is it that so many think that they need to have the spatula in one hand and a gun in the other when all it will take is simply sharing, showing and then knowing you will be appriciated the next time they come around offering you something for your good deed?

Survival is alot more than just surviving for yourself. It is about humanity's survival.

Learn or burn.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 26-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

That you do friend! That you do!

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Something I have noticed with alot of the recent survivalist posts is that most are forgetting one important thing.

SHARING.

If you got someone smelling your fancy chipmunk burger on the fryer, and they are hungry, why not share and then teach them how to hunt one for themselves? Why is it that so many think that they need to have the spatula in one hand and a gun in the other when all it will take is simply sharing, showing and then knowing you will be appriciated the next time they come around offering you something for your good deed?

Survival is alot more than just surviving for yourself. It is about humanity's survival.

Its mid winter, you have enough rations on hand to sustain you, your wife and your three kids with not much chance of resupply any time near. Suddenly into your camp walks two complete families from your own neighbourhood, they like you fled the town when the disaster struck, but unlike you they have only the clothes they stand in. So who gets to eat and stay warm over the long winter nights ?

Survival is not about humanity, nor christianity, nor good neighbourliness, its actually the oldest law of all the law of nature, who's going to live , who's going to die ? Of course if the disaster was a storm or tornado or tsunami and help was only day or weeks away then you all pull together, but if its a big disaster with no hope of help forcast who is going to decide to give away the food you have stored for your childrens survival ?

[edit on 26-12-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
raider im glad i dont have to count on you for food,12 plus hours for a chip monk.id rather chance it and be gone in 30 minutes

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join