It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With gas falling, trucks come back

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   

With gas falling, trucks come back

money.cnn.com

After nearly a year of flagging sales, low gas prices and fat incentives are reigniting America's taste for big vehicles.

Trucks and SUVs will outsell cars in December, according to researchers at the automotive Website Edmunds.com, something that hasn't happened since February.

Meanwhile the forecast finds that sales of hybrid vehicles are expected to be way down.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The populace have become like mice that cannot learn from the shocks they are given. They get smacked around and then go back for more.
I'm not saying people shouldn't buy the vehicle they want, they have that freedom, but once bitten twice shy should come to mind.

Not only because of gas, but these folks are borrowing their own money from banks and finance companies, aswa paying interest to do it. It's like bad decisions are ruling the world.

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The number one reason as to why the US' economy went into the toilet was high gas prices forcing people to choose between paying bills and buying gas. The reason for the huge spike in gas prices was gas guzzling SUVs and old P.O.S. cars from the 70s/80s and the huge increase of gas demand in developing nations like China and India and the revival of Russia.

I hope everyone buys large SUVs and trucks. I really do. I want to see how bad it will kick them in their *butts.* I own a VW Jetta and easily can get 35mpg driving to and from work. When gas was $4/gallon I laughed at all the people that drove those monstrosities and couldn't fill their tanks up. I spent about $200 a month in gas @ $4/gal, I can only imagine how much they were forking out.

Go ahead people, do it again.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Pfeil

I got to agree to the first part of your statement. The high oil prices did play a big part in the down turn in the economy. Although the oil exporting nations do blame the U.S. housing market for the global economic down turn.
As to trucks out selling cars, all I can say about that is the U.S. has always had a love affair with the car. So long as they think they can afford to keep feeding the gas guzzling monster cars, they will.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
maybe it has to do with WINTER being here..

there was 2 feet of snow in my driveway this morning (thats past my knee) i dont think theres an eco box on earth that would have made my trek to work today...

i needed four wheel drive just to get into the street !!

i agree some idiots are falling into the cheap gas trap again, but everyone that i know without a truck or suv is staying home because they cant even find their cars

[edit on 26-12-2008 by turbokid]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

Staying home might be a good thing, alot of people don't know how to drive, in snow or otherwise, anyway.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
What I'm really thinking about this thing is this.
OPEC is trying to get the price of oil up by manipulating production, the economy is sour and keeps getting worse and our govt has made it a give away to the banks (and everyone else it seems).

I would think that now is the time to be hunkering down and getting ready to ride the storm. Let's face it, it's only going to get worse.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

oh you have no idea how right you are..

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

Obviously a whole lot of Americans are unable to see beyond their nose; let alone have a long range view of things. Trucks may be a necessity for some folks, but gas guzzling ones surely are not.
Since we cannot depend on the consumer to spend wisely, or the manufacturer to offer sensible products, I guess it will be up to Obama to pass legislation to save people from themselves - ie. to ensure high fuel economy vehicles.
If he doesn't, the whole cycle of prices rising to counter rising demand for fuel will just repeat itself again. Problem then is, its not just the guys in the big trucks and SUV's that pay more, we all do.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
I guess it will be up to Obama to pass legislation to save people from themselves - ie. to ensure high fuel economy vehicles.

The government will fix all of your woes, right? First it'll be regulating what type of car I can buy. Then, they'll start telling me what I can eat, how to raise my kids, and what my thermostat should be set at. Oh wait, they're already doing some of these things because people like you are more than willing to hand over the most basic rights to the bureaucrats in charge.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

Frankly I hate government intervention in our lives. There are way too many laws already. But what is the answer? Like I said, as soon as people start buying gas guzzlers again the price of gas will surely go up - not just for them, but for everyone.
Why should I have to keep on paying just because a bunch of yahoos can't get enough "BIG"? I don't care what you do until it starts affecting me.
At that point its my business.
I was being a bit facetious about Obama and new laws. I wish there were another way of solving the problem but I can't see any.
Got any ideas?

top topics

join