It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile phone seizure an 'abuse of police powers'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Mobile phone seizure an 'abuse of police powers'

www.news.com.au

A MAN detained and threatened with arrest under the Terrorism Act for filming police on his mobile phone says police abused their powers.

Nick Holmes a Court, CEO of web-based media companies BuzzNumbers and ShiftedPixels, was walking to his home near Kings Cross in Sydney about 10pm on December 19.

He said police forcibly took his BlackBerry phone and threatened him with arrest both under the Australian Anti-Terrorism Act and for allegedly disobeying a police directive.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
More ushering in of the NWO. Police telling someone to STFU because he was filming them!

I guess they only like the cameras when they are the ones doing the filming. It's not so nice being on the other end.

Hopefully, Mr Holmes a Court has enough money to pursue his case further. It's more BS from the police and it needs to be resisted. He's probably lucky he wasn't whisked away for his objections and labelled as an enemy combatant.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
It seems clear to me that nick must be a terrorist, Because only terrorists would be involved in such an evil act.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Queensland Council for Civil Liberties president Michael Cope said police did not have the authority to confiscate cameras or stop people from taking pictures of them performing their duties.

"It's not appropriate for the police to be stopping people taking pictures of them," Mr Pope said.

"They've got no power to do that, none whatsoever, and they've got no power to confiscate cameras.

Its too bad this incident was erased. I wonder what this attorney could have done had he the video file from the phone. The next app that needs to be created for video phones is a live stream or even speed dial sending. The live streaming could be sent to a computer or website and never reside on the phone to be deleted.

We have a local lawyer here that highly suggested keeping a camera, camcorder, or video phone with you at all times. He states that in any kind of accident, it is the best form of evidence preservation. As well, you can hinder "others" from doing more wrong if they know they are on film. I suppose "others" could include cops as well as potential bad guys.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
That is wild. I'm not sure what the laws are in Australia but I am pretty sure that wouldn't fly in America.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
The only power that polices the police is the public. Now they want to make that impossible. Keep your cameras ready and learn to use them.

new topics

top topics

join