It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASAs $100,000 mistake

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
With a few exceptions women and power tools (with the exception of vibrators) just don't mix. Anytime they use my tools, they never put them back and then when I need one, I spend more time searching for the tool than using it.

[edit on 25-12-2008 by verylowfrequency]

Can we say "labeling" or "categorizing" or "Misogyny"?

In my household, the situation is the same as yours, but reversed, my husband CAN NEVER put tools back and then when I need one, I spend more time searching for the tool than using it. I have learned not to let my brothers use my tools either, because I usually end up finding them lying around in the yard, or strewn all over the area they were working, or broken, but definitely not put back away. Men can suck with tools also.

So, if I follow your logic.......... I would have to say with a few exceptions men and power tools (with the exception of their favorite hand or Pump) just don't mix.

Accidents happen people, like another poster said, that's part of being human, and weeelllll, humans just have accidents sometimes.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
There could have been an attempt to retrieve it, the thruster packs would have enough fuel to manuver to it and manuver back, since both themselves and the toolbag are moving along at the same speed.

I disagree. Obviously the bag was floating away so they were not moving at the exact same speed. Therefore, you need additional speed to overtake the bag in a timely manner and still return to the station structure with fuel to spare. The problem is, the SAFER system only provides about 10ft/sec delta-V. That's the same about the same as the speed of a one second drop on earth. Also, the SAFER system is not redundant at all since it is a last resort - astronauts are always double tethered to the station structure so SAFER was considered to be the third and last line of defense with no further redundancy.

The thruster pack adjusts for attitude control, but it is not designed for prolonged travel use.

Indeed, in fact it's designed specifically as a last resort and is not certified for use except when the astronaut's safety is at greater risk if it is not used.

An astronaut could have teathered themsevles off, give themselves a little push off the ISS towards the toolbag, grab it, attach it to another teather belt that the astronaut brings with him/her, and then simply pull himself/herself back to the ISS on the teather they are attached to.

They're always doubly tethered, but I'm not sure the tether length would have been enough, once they were sure it was truly safe to push off, to allow them to reach the bag. I also doubt that mission control would have allowed them to conduct such a "test" of the tensile strength of the tethers. In theory, yes they should hold when the astronaut goes to yank on the tether to bring them back, but on the other hand it could come loose, at which point the unfortunate astronaut has only one option left with a mere 10ft/sec delta-V to play with.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
Why cant they just go get it?

Seems reasonable to me...they have space SUITES on the space STATION yes?

There's a reason why astronauts must tether themselves firmly to the station at all times. Losing a tool bag is one thing, losing an astronaut is quite another. What do you want them to do? Jump after it and hope their emergency SAFER thrusters have enough fuel to bring them AND the tool bag back to the station safely? That's suicidal.

[edit on 24-12-2008 by ngchunter]

Why not tether the astronaut AND the tool bag? I can't figure that one out.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
The guy made a mistake. They are under extreme pressure being out there. He forgot to tether the bag down. Cut him some slack, he is floating in space where the slightest misstep might have dire consequences for him.

First off it was a woman and she probably crapped her suit when that grease gun explosed. What would you if your were up there floating in space and a grease gun explosed in your face covering your face shield and gloves in grease. I would have crapped my self as I bet anyone would have. It is not lost for good. It will be years before it comes in for re-entry. They still have time to get it if they want to.

Here is the real question. The canvas-and-acrylic caddy contained two grease guns, a scraper, a trash bag and some wipes, hardly cutting-edge technology. So why did it cost $100,000?

[edit on 1/4/2009 by fixer1967]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alienmojo
Why not tether the astronaut AND the tool bag? I can't figure that one out.

It was supposed to be tethered.
Human error.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Here is the real question. The canvas-and-acrylic caddy contained two grease guns, a scraper, a trash bag and some wipes, hardly cutting-edge technology. So why did it cost $100,000?
[edit on 1/4/2009 by fixer1967]

The cost accounts for the research and development needed to make the tools (grease guns in particular) that will function properly in zero g and vacuum with the potential for large swings in temperature. Obviously the gun didn't function as well as it was supposed to, showing how hard it is to make these "common" tools function properly in the harsh conditions of space. The actual production cost once research and development is completed is significantly less. That's also why B-2 bombers are worth billions - it's not the build cost or even material cost, it's the research and development cost which is factored into each unit's cost.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

I just hope they kept the receipt on that grease gun.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join