It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Rare Bank Without Defaults

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

No Credit… No License… No History? No Problem?

Even before our current mortgage meltdown, most banks would never touch a prospective customer with any one of the above issues, let alone all three. But there’s one bank in a quiet little corner of Pennsylvania that’s made thousands of loans - all to customers who have no credit history, zero credit scores, no drivers license and nothing beyond an eighth grade education.

The most amazing part is that they’ve never had even one customer default on a loan. And that’s thousands of customers over a 20-year period. How can this possibly be true?

www.investmentu.com...

Interesting piece for sure. The people he is referring to is the Amish. Ive always defended the Amish to the people that make fun of them for their lifestyles. I think we as a people need to learn a bit more from the Amish about self reliance and getting "off grid" so to speak.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Ha Thats funny,off grid u say. I say I see them using modern generators ,riding around in modern vehicles, shopping and getting modern processed foods in modern grocery stores. They also r hurting the economy by undercutting local contractors (who pay license,fees, and taxes) and using child unpaid labor. They drive their buggy's on our roads and do not pay for tags license and I think insurance(?). Maybe the lesson we need to learn is how to set up a religion to hide behind!

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Very good point. A man was talking about the Amish yesterday and how you would see them when he travelled...

But anyway it really hit me hard and now this post. These guys already have a community, they are off the grid (though they must have to pay property tax yes?). If the SHTF they will be largely unnaffected.

Unless of course the FBI/CIA have something to say about it and they just get bombed to hell or raided by their own government. Sorry I'm a little fired up. (Edit: my point is they only threat they have is their own government, they are off the grid, the point is not that it's a big threat but it's the only threat)

We probably have a heck of a lot to learn from these people.

[edit on 22-12-2008 by Novise]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
No they are not off the grid, if you mean unknown by the gov. They get welfare(foodstamps),medical cards for their children.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
No they are not off the grid, if you mean unknown by the gov. They get welfare(foodstamps),medical cards for their children.

This is not true. The Amish people accept NO outside government help. I can show you article after article of these guys refusing welfare and food stamps.

www.reason.com...

[edit on 22-12-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Ha Thats funny,off grid u say. I say I see them using modern generators ,riding around in modern vehicles, shopping and getting modern processed foods in modern grocery stores. They also r hurting the economy by undercutting local contractors (who pay license,fees, and taxes) and using child unpaid labor. They drive their buggy's on our roads and do not pay for tags license and I think insurance(?). Maybe the lesson we need to learn is how to set up a religion to hide behind!

You can be off grid and still use some modern amenities. I think we as a society are way to reliant on big brother and this is not the case with the Amish. Above the material items they still have morals in Amish country which is more than I can say for 80% of America now.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit

You can be off grid and still use some modern amenities. I think we as a society are way to reliant on big brother and this is not the case with the Amish. Above the material items they still have morals in Amish country which is more than I can say for 80% of America now.

Do you mean these kind of morals?
www.legalaffairs.org...

They do participate in CHIP which is paid for by the gov.
www.roanoke.com...

The Amish are no different than any other group in America except for the fact they use a religion as a screen to break the law and abuse their children with impunity with child labor. Would you let your 11 year old child operate a sawmill?

top topics

join