It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 10 worst warming predictions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
blogs.news.com.au...

GLOBAL warming preachers have had a shocking 2008. So many of their predictions this year went splat.

Here’s their problem: they’ve been scaring us for so long that it’s now possible to check if things are turning out as hot as they warned.

And good news! I bring you Christmas cheer - the top 10 warming predictions to hit the wall this year.

Read, so you can end 2008 with optimism, knowing this Christmas won’t be the last for you, the planet or even the polar bears.

1. OUR CITIES WILL DIE OF THIRST
TIM Flannery, an expert in bones, has made a fortune from books and lectures warning that we face global warming doom. He scared us so well that we last year made him Australian of the Year.

In March, Flannery said: “The water problem is so severe for Adelaide that it may run out of water by early 2009.”

In fact, Adelaide’s reservoirs are now 75 per cent full, just weeks from 2009.

2. OUR REEF WILL DIE
PROFESSOR Ove Hoegh-Guldberg, of Queensland University, is Australia’s most quoted reef expert.

He’s advised business, green and government groups, and won our rich Eureka Prize for scares about the Great Barrier Reef. He’s chaired a $20 million global warming study of the World Bank.

In 1999, Hoegh-Guldberg warned that the Great Barrier Reef was under pressure from global warming, and much of it had turned white.

In fact, he later admitted the reef had made a “surprising” recovery.

3. GOODBYE, NORTH POLE
“We’re actually projecting this year that the North Pole may be free of ice for the first time,” claimed Dr David Barber, of Manitoba University, ignoring the many earlier times the Pole has been ice free.

In fact, the Arctic’s ice cover this year was almost 10 per cent above last year’s great low, and has refrozen rapidly since. Meanwhile, sea ice in the Southern Hemisphere has been increasing. Been told either cool fact?

Yet Barber is again in the news this month, predicting an ice-free Arctic now in six years. Did anyone ask him how he got his last prediction wrong?

4. BEWARE HUGE WINDS
AL Gore
I'll stop there!

5. GIANT HAILSTONES WILL SMASH THROUGH YOUR ROOF

6. NO MORE SKIING
A BAD ski season three years ago - right after a great one - had The Age and other alarmists blaming global warming. The CSIRO, once our top science body, fanned the fear by claiming resorts such as Mt Hotham and Mt Buller could lose a quarter of their snow by 2020.

In fact, this year was another boom one for skiing, with Mt Hotham and Mt Buller covered in snow five weeks before the season started.

7. PERTH WILL BAKE DRY
Perth has just had its coldest and wettest November since 1991.

8. ISLANDS WILL DROWN
“There is no evidence for accelerated sea-level rises,” the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute declared last month.

9. BRITAIN WILL SWELTER
winter has been so cold that London had its first October snow in 74 years—and on the very day Parliament voted to fight “global warming”.

10. WE’LL BE HOTTER
SPEAKING of the Met, it has so far predicted 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2007 would be the world’s hottest or second-hottest year on record, but nine of the past 10 years it predicted temperatures too high.

In fact, the Met this month conceded 2008 would be the coldest year this century.

I love the fact someone is calling out the Global Warming Alarmists

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Me to!!!

Them damned Librals...I say collect em all and slow cook um!
Like their global warmings

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I have learned a long time ago the impossibility of having a conversation with one already swayed to a definate defineable position but also swayed to their own infallibility. Rhetoric does not equal science.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I think this shows that we really don't understand all the forces involved in our planet's climate. I would guess that the low sunspot activity had more to do with it being a cooler year than anything else. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't be thinking about lowering our greenhouse gas emissions. From the documentaries I've seen, there is a direct correlation between CO2 levels and temperature. So, while this partcular year might have been cooler, the next couple years could warm back up if sunspot activity starts to increase. If it doesn't and it turns out to be a Maunder Minimum type event, then we could see a cold snap similar to the Mini-Ice Age of the middle ages. In that case, the greenhouse gases might be just the thing needed to bring the climate back to where we like it.

I'm not sure we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but there's no doubt that a lot of people made a lot of money over-dramatizing global warming, when we don't really understand all the factors which go into climate change.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
But...

how can 99.99995% of the world's most prominent scientists be so wrong? And what about the movies? Are you trying to say "The Day After Tomorrow" was not a documentary, as all the global climate alarmists made it out to be? I was really looking forward to seeing a dozen tornados destroy Los Angeles, gosh darned it! Guess this is why Gore is still flying his private jet around the world to collect his big buck speaking engagements to his flock (aka sheep). The funny thing is that the global climate alarmists still believe all the tripe being spewed by Gore and the rest of his ilk. Sorry bunch of sheep indeed.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Its scary when you look at this and consider how well ingrained the concept of global warming is in peoples minds, just now I watched a sweeping, dramatic advert about global warming, shows how easily some of us can be manipulated, global warming is a farce at this stage, if anything were looking at a little ice-age.

Thanks for those facts, they really made my day.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Evil Genius

There is a direct correlation between C02 and temperature. A temperature rise make CO2 in the atmosphere go up. NOT the other way around. There is a 3-5 year lag between rising temperatures and rising C02. Also, ocean levels rise not due to melting ice but due to thermal expansion of the oceans due to rising temperatures.

The greenhouse effect is exacerbated by water vapor in the atmosphere, which is several THOUSAND times more effective as a heat blanket than CO2. In fact, rising CO2 levels are actually GOOD for the enviroment as it tends to foster more plant life. Of course, none of the IPCC projections even MENTION water vapor. Which pretty much explains why they are always wrong on their estimated temperature change.

From the fake "hockey-sick" to the fake picture of the "orphan polar bears" to the fake temperature recordings from October of this year, the entire Anthropormorphic Global Warming HOAX is simply another way for politically motivated people to attempt control of himan society.

By the way, calving Glaciers, often shown as a symptom of Global Warming, only occur when Glaciers EXPAND.. Melting glaciers recede, and don't calve. Face it, almost everything you hear about global warming from the media elite is simply propaganda.

For the science behind my comments, please visit
www.middlebury.net...

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'm sure that global warming advocates will say that these are just the unforeseen side effects of global warming.

The fascism of the argument is it's not just listed as 'global warming' but generally labeled as 'climate change'. Climate change, encompassing every possible change there is to the climate, has ensured that, no matter what, they are right.

It's not so much a scam as a power grab to be the intellectual junta.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
From what I see there is a lot of "picking and choosing" data to support the global warming theory - a statistics con job. The more i look at a whole range of data - the more it seems the Earth is just following its normal warm and cool cycle which has repeated throughout history. Our sun's own cycle also has a big impact on us. Looking at the data around, I cannot help feeling that the "Global warming" bandwangon is a big con - however what i do see in the data is a CO2 problem - we need trees - lots of them !

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
The Global warming and its "Fanatics" really really annoy me. Obviously climate change is happening and we are helping it on its way with our development as a species.. but there are so many other factors that are not even considered by the 'Experts'.

Then again.. IMO the fact that everything is going greener, that we are moving away from fossil fuels and that we are really pushing renewable energy sources justifies the lies and manipulation.

Originally posted by The Bald Champion

Them damned Librals...I say collect em all and slow cook um!
Like their global warmings

Strange, I had an arguement with some guy on this site about global warming, I was saying that there was an awful lot more to it than we are being told.

He started calling me a stupid liberal.

Is being a liberal a bad thing in the US?

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
good read.

I remember about 3 months ago on the bbc news site that there was an article saying "No global warming for next 10 years". It just makes you think its a nice bit of prpaganda for us all to swallow. 1 year ago i was told i would die because i drove my car, now its a case of you will die just not as soon as we expected.
They've had our taxes from this, now they will make themselves look great once theyv'e made all cars and houses green at our expense because it was naturally going to occur like this.

Don't get me wrong i agree with conserving fuel and moving away from water to fuel cell's etc, but when they bully you into doing so it pi**es me off.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Yes, if we get rid of the alarmists we can then concentrate on the reality of AGW - which is happening, just not in the way some would want you to think*

Of course, the deniers are often as bad - setting up straw man arguments which serve only to further confuse the public.

* there are still some who actually think AGW means it gets warmer every year and that there can't be cold years as well as warm ones!

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by RRconservative

Yes, if we get rid of the alarmists we can then concentrate on the reality of AGW - which is happening, just not in the way some would want you to think*

Of course, the deniers are often as bad - setting up straw man arguments which serve only to further confuse the public.

* there are still some who actually think AGW means it gets warmer every year and that there can't be cold years as well as warm ones!

We are not the cause of the earths recent warming which itself is relativly miniscule.

No doubt we are effing up our planet in other ways, which is where our money should be going, the main problem is the lies and deceit we are being fed about the situation, an agenda is being pushed on us.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Just a pedantic point but the 10th point about the Met Office is wrong. The Met office state that 2008 is the coolest year this decade. Slight difference to this century and actually has quite an impact when considering what after all we should be thinking as a really cold year. If this is still warmer than most of last century and we think its cold then something is wrong somewhere. Most AGW deniers will say its from the scientists most AGW 'agreers' will suggest that you shouldn't use weather to decide climate.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Where I come frome we just call it weather. The People telling us whats it's going to be "Just have to look good, don't have to be clear" . But hey if I could make money lying I would choose the science field over politics anytime. A little more respect for scientist.

mikell

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Every year there is talk about "record setting highs in -insert place here" or "record setting lows -insert place here-" or "record setting snowfall/rainfall hits -insert place here-", anyways you get the point. The earth does its own thing and theres not a dang thing we can do about it. How can anyone predict what the Solar system itself will bring or change climate on earth and all the planets etc.....Its going to do what it wants to do.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

weren't 99.9999995% of the worlds scientists wrong about the earth being flat? and anyway its not that 99.99995% of scientists believe humans are causing global warming its that the ones that done believe it lose their jobs and are laughed out of the scientific community by the people who are propogating this myth of human caused global warming. but of course it must be us causing it bc we also caused all the other climate changes of the last 100 million year right.....?......

top topics

join