It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signs your being probed for break in or assault

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

I believe this is a common MO for burglars, also fliers, letters and newspapers left stuffed in front door letterboxes signals that the property is unoccupied.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Leaving outdoor lights on that illuminate the yard if you'll be gone during dark hours is a good idea, and I leave mine on all night while I sleep. The 3 times I had them off, we were robbed. Not a break-in, but auto theft. Thieves just driving around looking for a place to rob, don't want neighbours seeing them load a truck.

Leave a radio or TV and indoor lights on, at least this would deter some thieves who will think someone's home.

Don't tell people your plans that you're going out and how long you'll be gone. Obviously you do tell people this alot of the time, but avoid it whenever you can. Many robberies are done by people who know you, and know your routine. Never tell your neighbour to watch your home while on holidays, ask a trusted friend instead. I had problems doing this before, and never again will I advertise to the neighbourhood that I left. Neigbours gossip, even if the one you told seemed trustworthy.

In summertime there are thieves called "green thumb burglars", they rob your home while you're out in the backyard gardening, so lock up your home even if your just in the yard.

Never tell anyone you're one of those people who never uses banks. It's fairly obvious that you are storing cash in your home. There are professional cons out there who target these types, esp the elderly who are stuck in their old ways and have a lifetime's savings stashed. Also never pay a repair person with cash if you can pay by cheque that's better. If you need to pay by cash, play it up you'll need to go to the bank first, or that you went to the bank to get it. Paying with cash shows you keep money around your home, and they will watch which way you walk (left into the bedroom or right into the kitchen?) to go into your cash stash to pay. They come back later and rob, and already know which part of the bouse the money is located. In this scenario the reno work was just a front.

It is best to not answer the door on these salespeople. Avoid the chit-chat. If they're a thief, they know how to question you and get you revealing things. An elderly person saying stuff like 'my son lives in another town, my husband died" etc reveals you're all alone, and that you have no-one watching out for you. In this scenario it could be a reno guy who isn't going to rob your home, but rob you by overcharging - and they avoid the ones who have someone who'll alert them this is a rip-off. The elderly are conned all the time by these types. They usually have the most money to pay more, and are easily swayed, and then embarassed to tell their family they were ripped off.

On topic of senior citizens, the yellow pages has incentives for add-ons to the advertising. You can add the "seniors discount logo" to your ad. As much as this may appear to be a decent way to treat customers, unfortunately some are really just using the logo to reel in the calls from the seniors, who are easier to con and overcharge or rob, and rarely report the overcharging out of embarassment.

If one of those security system installers knocks on your door to sell you a system, never say "Yeah I could use one of those, I have stuff worth money". Rather say "Nothing worthwhile stealing from me". Some of these types are just people casing the neighbourhood. If you want a system, call a reputable company and get it that way.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
Many robberies are done by people who know you, and know your routine.

Too true! The two occaisions that I've been burgled has been by those who I thought I could trust.

One was a former flatmate in a shared-house and the other, by an ex-girlfriend and her dealer who both were meth-heads...and all were eventually sussed and 'the balance of karma restored'

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Some guy came to our door during the day the week before Christmas (we live on some acreage w a gate which was open and a long drive way and not in a suburbian neighborhood). He had a printed off flyer for carpet cleaning and wanted to come in and give me a "free inspection". He was a little runt and missing some teeth and reminded me of a "crack head". Then he had the audacity to try to physically make a move to get past me into the door. I stopped him and he said, "you dont understand, it's free!" He was obviously trying to case the place for a pre-Christmas break in by him and his crack buddies. Obviously I didnt let him in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join