It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Civil rights - a LIBERAL OR CONSERVATIVE achievement?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by The Bald Champion

That right there is exactly why I switched from 30 years of being a Democrat to Republican and then to the Libertarians. The Republicans have started to act and legislate like those liberals noted in that piece.

Zindo

I thought you would like it

I do not agree with it, but thats why I'm a Libral!

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Conservatives are the ones who say you have the right to free speech.

Liberals will choke you to death for saying something their committee hasn't approved.

Liberal Republican Party
Political Ideology:
Egalitarianism, nationalism, modernization

Egalitarianism (derived from the French word égal, meaning equal) is a political doctrine that holds that all people should be treated as equals and have the same political, economic, social, and civil rights.[1] Generally it applies to being held equal under the law and society at large. In actual practice, one may be considered an egalitarian in most areas listed above, even if not subscribing to equality in every possible area of individual difference.

Nationalism can refer to an ideology, a sentiment, a form of culture, or a social movement that focuses on the nation.

The idea of modernization comes from a view of societies as having a standard evolutionary pattern, as described in the social evolutionism theories. According to this, each society would evolve inexorably from barbarism to ever greater levels of development and civilization.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
It's not a "right" if such a right requires someone else to do something for you to make it a right for you. I.E. "welfare" is not a right if someone else is made to pay for it, and a "job" is not a right if someone else must create and offer that job to you. Anyhow, I'm not sure what "civil rights" even mean. If it requires or demands someone else do something for YOU, it's not a right. When someone else does something for another, that's a priviledge, not a right. A "right" should not demand something be done by or enslave another to make it so, that would be taking away freedom from another.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
It's not a "right" if such a right requires someone else to do something for you to make it a right for you. I.E. "welfare" is not a right if someone else is made to pay for it, and a "job" is not a right if someone else must create and offer that job to you. Anyhow, I'm not sure what "civil rights" even mean. If it requires or demands someone else do something for YOU, it's not a right. When someone else does something for another, that's a priviledge, not a right. A "right" should not demand something be done by or enslave another to make it so, that would be taking away freedom from another.

I understand the tenet - but with that logic how about gays getting married?

How about full sex scenes on TV?

How about smoking a joint on your front porch?

Where is the line???

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Bald Champion

Any two willing people should be able to form a union. Doing so does not place a demand upon me or another or society that isn't already there. The screw up in this particular issue is someone made it a "gay" issue. It should be a "freedom" issue for ALL! If they would only dropped the "gay" slant on this "union" issue, I'm sure it would pass. I would even get behind that cause and approach. There are many advantages of a "union" that we ALL could benefit from, not just "bed buddies."

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

Any two willing people should be able to form a union. Doing so does not place a demand upon me or another or society that isn't already there. The screw up in this particular issue is someone made it a "gay" issue. It should be a "freedom" issue for ALL! If they would only dropped the "gay" slant on this "union" issue, I'm sure it would pass. I would even get behind that cause and approach. There are many advantages of a "union" that we ALL could benefit from, not just "bed buddies."

In general I agree with you...

I think the freedom approach is a good point. I think this issue could be resolved
very easily if terms did not infringe on the process.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

SO can't anyone refute the LIBERAL REPUBLICAN party of the 1880s...

???

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

YES I am serious...

Did conservatives ( not Republicans ) stand for or against civil right for AA citizens?

or

Did liberals ( not Democrats ) stand for or against civil rights?

A very difficult question to answer because party names changed over the year, parties arose and died and merged, and so forth.

HOWEVER... to give a very simplistic answer... conservatives are the ones who push to keep the "status quo." If there is a king, the conservatives don't want a new form of government... they want the king.

Liberals can become conservatives.

Our founding fathers gave the vote ONLY to landholding white males of "adult age." This was a loosening of the English rules ... so they were nasty liberals. But if any sector of the population does NOT have the same rights as the others then they (and the liberals) will say "why not?"

There are very few "pure liberals" and "pure conservatives." A conservative might not like liberal views but might support marriage rights for same sex couples. A liberal might not like conservative views but may be against abortion.

The person was making the assertion that LIBERALS were against the civil rights movement in the 60's.

I make the assertion that the civil rights movement was a LIBERAL movement.

You are correct. I was there, and we were called "dirty liberal pinko commies" for wanting "those people" to be able to eat at the same restaurants, go to the same schools, get the same medical care that we got.

MLK was a republican yes.

Yes, and I also believe (if memory serves) he was conservative in his viewpoints. Remember that he was a preacher and very religious Christians tend to be more conservative than others (he didn't, for example, agree with the hippies (who supported him and civil rights.) -- they were into free love and other things that he would not have supported.)

So, while he started the movement and it was supported by other Black Conservatives and liberals, it was the White liberals who also turned out and risked their lives in marches and demonstrations. Moderates of all stripe also eventually came to support it.

The conservatives supported (I'm not kidding) the actions of the KKK and the John Birch Society... groups that I grew to loathe for their views and their tactics. Some conservatives supported the bombings of Black churches that led to the deaths of children and supported the killing of White activists who dared to march with and support King -- anything to keep the Blacks "in their proper place."

So... liberals and moderates and some conservatives supported it. Very Right Wing Unpleasant Conservatives were against it.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Thank you BYRD!

excellent and along the lines of what I have read and learned,

It was actually a MOD who inspired this thread. The fella said I was practicing revisionist history. I suggest he is plum loco...

It seemed that in this instance the modern conservatives identify with a Republican
party of years past. IME these folks seem to distort the truth and do it with a smile.

I understand the liberal tenets that I believe and for me the CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT
is AKIN to GAY MARRIAGE and PRISONERS rights...

It is part of my core beliefs and if I am going to be called a pinko I would at least
want this to sit in the positive column for me and my fellow
TERISTS LOVERS!

I even heard the LIBRALS were the ones who burned women as witches and resisted giving the females a right to vote.

HINTER

CHAMPER

CHICKEN

[edit on 22-12-2008 by The Bald Champion]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Just in support of what mrwupy has said; we should remember that not everything is always as it appears.

California is predominantly a Liberal-Democrat stronghold, yet they passed Prop 8 with a large margin.

There is little doubt that many Liberals voted in favor of Prop 8 and banning Gay Marriage.

Sometimes it is just the issues that define the voters and not the other way around.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Just in support of what mrwupy has said; we should remember that not everything is always as it appears.

California is predominantly a Liberal-Democrat stronghold, yet they passed Prop 8 with a large margin.

There is little doubt that many Liberals voted in favor of Prop 8 and banning Gay Marriage.

Sometimes it is just the issues that define the voters and not the other way around.

Yup I can't doubt that...

Liberals are not very good at group stances and action... like herding cats.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

The truth lies in the FBI files on MLK. It's on the FBI site for download I think now, at least the last time I checked it was. Also you can probaly Google for MLK FBI Files.

I won't say the answer, you'll have to read the PDF to see. Nothing like suspense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join