It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Hour: Will you turn out the lights?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

On March 28, 2009, at 8:30 pm, the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) wants you to turn off your lights for Earth Hour and join a billion other people across the Earth in showing our world leaders that you want decisive action on global warming.

Wanted: One billion people to turn out lights for global warming.

I'm not a big fan of the global warming crap that has been shoved down our throats for the last decade or two. I live in the south and we're having the worst Winter on record. It NEVER gets as cold here as it's been in the last few days.

I say we light up the planet. Everybody turn your lights on when they are asking us to turn them off. Let's show them we no longer believe in the lies they, and the MSM, have been selling us.

I won't be turning my lights off on March 28th, 2009.

Will you?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Just one question:
If everyone turns out the lights... are the generating facilities going to throttle down the generators?
If not... turning the lights out won't make much difference.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Wow, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will certainly be joining with the other 1 billion people with any eye, and a conscious, to the future and be turning off all of my power. You should do the same.

Please do not confuse short term fluctuations in climate with long term climatological trends. The earth IS getting hotter. Just because you experience a few unusually cold weeks, snow in New Orleans for example, it does not mean that global warming is BS. In fact, odd weather anomalies are a side effect of global warming. It is occurring. The sooner you, and others who share your opinion, accept this FACT, the sooner we can all start to do something about it. The longer it takes for you to come around, the worse the ultimate effects will be.

However, I guess you may be able to take solace in the idea that ultimately, it will not be you who has to deal with the ultimate effects. It will be your children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren who will be shouldering this burden for you. I for one on the other hand ,can not and will not take solace in passing the effects of global warming on to future generations.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

My other half and I will be contributing to global warming.
We'll be back on the road driving a big truck, spitting out diesel exhaust. It could get interesting if we turn our lights out that night, considering we'll be driving as a team, which means the truck won't be stopped much.

If global warming is a man made phenomenon, then PLEASE tell us all how we're causing warming on every planet in the solar system. Do we have billions of people living on them all, spitting out green house gases there too?

[edit on 12/16/2008 by Zaphod58]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Sure, if you could prove to me that Global Warming is in fact real, I won't mind turning my lights off for one hour.

But you have to promise me you won't be quoting Al Gore.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I'll turn my lights off...

But I may have to burn a few tires to help me see since the lights are out.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by BluegrassRevolutionary

Did you not notice the scientists at the UN conference in Poland saying global warming is BS? IT IS A SCAM TO GET YOUR MONEY! Al Bore makes his godawful movie, forces it down everyones throats, and somehow that @#$% gets a Nobel Prize. Guess they forgot the fact that BEFORE he released that movie, he started up his little "carbon credit" scam company! He knew the gullible masses would fall for it and line up, cash in hand. Please don't allow yourself to be fooled like that. There is no standard agreement for defining a "carbon footprint", and many of these companies that have sprung up to "assess your footprint" are proven scammers just trying to get your hard-earned cash!

Not many seem to have noticed (I hope I'm wrong on this) Obama's appointment of a "Climate Czar". This leads me to think that this BS is about to be forced upon us by the government in the form of some new carbon tax upon the US taxpayer. With our economy in shambles, is this really what we need?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
reply to post by mrwupy

But you have to promise me you won't be quoting Al Gore.

"Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did make up global warming."

Not mine, I just read it somewhere.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Honestly?
No

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Hey how about we run our own separate experiment?

March 28th is 2 days after a new moon, so it might be tough.
But lets all fire-up big fat multiple-hundred watt floodlights, and spotlights.
Aim them at the moon, see if we can brighten up the shadowed portion!!

There will only be a few minutes before it sets that evening.

Lets do it!
Moon the Earth!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

Lets do it!
Moon the Earth!

Now that is genius! Everyone buy a million candle watt light, hell we might get some propulsion out of it!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I am kind of confused here mrwupy???

Please explain to me how you could feel so strongly against the billion watt turn off?

You seem to be a very caring and considerate person and to have a few minutes where we all attempt to make a stand hardly reminds me of the msm and their quest to dominate the weak minded. hell the weak minded wont even hear about the effort.

What really gives?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I am kind of confused here mrwupy???

Please explain to me how you could feel so strongly against the billion watt turn off?

You seem to be a very caring and considerate person and to have a few minutes where we all attempt to make a stand hardly reminds me of the msm and their quest to dominate the weak minded. hell the weak minded wont even hear about the effort.

What really gives?

Hello my friend, long time no talk. It's good to hear from you again.

I'm not a big believer in global warming.

I grew up with the scare of the coming ice age, the coming nuclear war, the Radon gas that was killing us all, the swine flu, H5N1, mad cow desease, lead in paint, the constant threat that something, somewhere, was out to kill us all.

I just got tired of living in fear.

If you can read these words I can promise you only one thing, one thing that you cannot avoid.

You are going to die.

Letting people scare you with threats of what might happen will take away from what you can make happen in your life.

Yes, I believe we should recycle, I believe we should do what we can to make the world better for our progeny, but I won't live in fear of what the nutcase new fad says we should be afraid of.

"The Earth is not something you inherit from your fathers, it's something you borrow from your children."

We should take care of it.

We should not live in fear of anything though.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

LOL..you give me too much credit..
I wonder how many spotlights it would take to punch enough photons through our atmosphere and back for it to work?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Hello, there and thanks for posting this, and I hope that this becomes a success. And Ill do my part surely.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
AWESOME!! I don't care what the agenda is about! I LOVE the night sky uninhibited by lights and therefore will be spreading the word so that maybe I can actually get a view as it should be! Many benefits to this that far exceed any agendas!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I have too many angry things to say about this Global Warming and Climate Change junk they keep brain washing the general populous with. So i'll just say this:

No, I am going to do what ever I want and turning off my lights isn't one of those things.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
Just one question:
If everyone turns out the lights... are the generating facilities going to throttle down the generators?
If not... turning the lights out won't make much difference.

A star for you!

If you don't use the electricity, it is lost energy. Sure, the generators aren't loaded, but the fire in the furnace still rages on...

@OP: I contribute to saving the Earth every night when I sleep for around 8 hours.
Does that count? One additional hour just to make a few environmentalists feel good won't make the slightest bit of difference.

[edit on 19-12-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit

@OP: I contribute to saving the Earth every night when I sleep for around 8 hours.
Does that count? One additional hour just to make a few environmentalists feel good won't make the slightest bit of difference.

Oh now that extra hour of sleep is important. I go to bed each night at ten and get up each morning at seven. Nine hours of sleep and if I don't get it, I'm a grumpy crumpet.

I suppose this means I'm doing more to save the planet than you

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit

If you don't use the electricity, it is lost energy. Sure, the generators aren't loaded, but the fire in the furnace still rages on...

[edit on 19-12-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

Come on! Ethical, cutting edge companies like Monsanto will turn the lights off as well, just to show their solidarity to the WWF and their ongoing support of the conservation of endangered species.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join