It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News brodcast reporting on recieved signals from space ?SETI site won't respond to search request

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Anybody know when this was brodcast? I just found this and I want more info!!! (disclaimer here: this is a short vid and I just want to know more, I am posting this only for presentation and not adding any personal opinion ) Thoughts??

[edit on 13-12-2008 by alyosha1981]

Edit to thread title as I cannot verify that the broadcast is from CNN.

[edit on 14-12-2008 by alyosha1981]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
that doesnt mean its actually an et signal,signals can come from alot of natural sources aswell...i remember SETI recieved a signal but it was cut off,probably by NSA before they could recieve it all and decode it,it was most likely ET in origin.

[edit on 13-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I think this is old. It sounds very familiar to what was reported back in 2004. Same "Pisces" reference.

ufo.whipnet.org...

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by helpmefindtheway

Good call this might be the same one I don't know I don't recall ever hearing about this one though, I suppose it could be interference but 3 sepreate signals and then one gets stronger? I dunno

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
There was an article published on Sep. 3, 2004 in the Madison, WI "Capital Times". Here is the information:

Doug Moe: Has ET finally phoned home?

Doug Moe — 9/03/2004 10:48 am

THURSDAY MORNING, Nate Coffin, a 34-year-old information technology manager with Farin & Associates in Madison, which provides risk management consulting to financial institutions, got an e-mail from another computer guy, someone he has never met, Oliver Voelker of Nuremberg, Germany.

"So we found ET!"Voelker wrote.

Well, maybe.

What's definite is that Nate Coffin's world has gotten a bit crazy this week, ever since Monday, when a journalist from New Scientist magazine called and told him that a distant radio signal detected by Coffin's computer is the best chance yet that a massive grass-roots search for extraterrestrial life may have actually found it.

Voelker, the German, is the other computer user (out of 5 million in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, or SETI, at-home project) to have found the signal. Earlier this week Coffin e-mailed him to say hi and on Thursday Voelker e-mailed back.

The signal is named SHGb02+14a, which lets us know that some of this is going to be a bit complicated for the scientifically challenged, like myself. The signal has excited scientists because it does not appear to be standard radio interference or have the signature of any known astronomical object. The signal appears to be coming from a point between Pisces and Aries.

As of Thursday, Coffin had not heard directly from SETI, which is based in Puerto Rico and at the University of California-Berkeley, but the SETI scientists discussed it with New Scientist, which has a story in its September issue titled "Mysterious signals from 1000 light years away."

Dan Wertheimer, a radio astronomer at Cal-Berkeley and the chief scientist for the SETI at-home project, told New Scientist: "It's the most interesting signal from SETI at home. We're not jumping up and down, but we are continuing to observe it."

Another Berkeley researcher, Eric Korpella, said, "We are looking for something that screams out 'artificial.' This just doesn't do that, but it could be because it is distant."

Just two weeks ago, the journal Network World did a story on the SETI project under the headline: "Still no word from ET: Five years and 5 million networked PCs find no sign of extraterrestrials."

The article offered a capsule description of how the SETI at-home project works, saying it "starts with Cornell University's Arecibo Observatory radio telescope in Puerto Rico - a dish three times the size of the new Olympic Stadium in Athens, Greece - which collects radio noise from distant stars. The data is recorded on tapes that are sent to Berkeley, where servers break them into chunks and make them available over the Internet. The 5 million PCs worldwide that have the SETI at-home screen-saver program installed can download chunks of signals and look for patterns in the noise. The processed work units are then sent back to Berkeley's computer lab - a storage closet in the astronomy department where the servers are kept."

In the New Scientist piece, Madison's Coffin is mistakenly referred to as "Nate Collins." On Thursday, sensing the attention his find was beginning to generate, Coffin called the error "a mixed blessing." He said he really didn't do much other than join the SETI network and leave his computer running.

"Actually, the timing of it makes me think it was my wife Heidi's computer," Coffin said. "She is more diligent about leaving her computer on - if you want to call that diligent."

Still, Coffin is not unmoved by the possibility, however slight, that he might be part of a monumental discovery. While he says he is not one of those people who expects a spaceship to one day "land in my back yard," he has been a "Star Trek" fan since his youth and has "an emotional investment, like any human" in learning as much as possible about the universe and what may or may not be out there. That said, Coffin thinks the likelihood is the signal is "some kind of anomaly" that will eventually be revealed not to be ET.

In the New Scientist story, other scientists weighed in on the likelihood that the signal Coffin discovered might be extraterrestrial life trying to make contact. Jocelyn Bell Burnell of the University of Bath in the United Kingdom, said, "It may be a natural phenomenon of a previously undreamed-of kind like I stumbled over." In 1967, Bell Burnell noticed a pulsed radio signal which she at first thought was extraterrestrial but which turned out to be the first discovery of a pulsar.

Yet Bell Burnell believes scientists should continue to study the signal.

"If they can see it four, five or six times, it really begins to get exciting," she said.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Wow I guess I've been under a rock becaues I've never heard of this thanks for the info has there been any new developments that have not been censored I wonder?

The signal is named SHGb02+14a, which lets us know that some of this is going to be a bit complicated for the scientifically challenged, like myself. The signal has excited scientists because it does not appear to be standard radio interference or have the signature of any known astronomical object. The signal appears to be coming from a point between Pisces and Aries.

So I go to the SETI site and type in SHGb02+14a to their search and it will not let my click on "go" but when I type in any other numbers or letters it goes through the search function just fine. I don't know what to make of this so if anyone elese could give it a go and see if they get some results that would be great..weird
Edit to add seti search info.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Check it out.
Have uploaded the signal in 4 different formats.

seti signal

1- Original
2- 25% slower
3- 50% slower
4- 75% slower

Freaked me out, but I thought I heard something communicating.

PS: This is for entertainment purposes only.
I found the signal on this you tube and ran it through a freeware audio editing program. I am in no way trained to do this.

[edit on 14-12-2008 by R3KR]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by R3KR

Sounds like being on a train.
Hard to make out anything
Radiation?

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
THere are some wierd babbles back and forth, really quick.
Or could be the toilet flushing on the space shuttle. Who knows.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Sweet! I couldn't use your links( work computer firewall) but did see the you tube sounds like rushing water to me I dunno, I still can't figure out why the SETI sit won't let me do a search by that sig designator it's really weird almost like it's blocked out or something on purposs that makes me wonder what theitr hiding?

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
If you look at the graphs of frequency by time, for this signal we are discussing, it is much easier to SEE the signal, than it is to HEAR it, as our ears are not attuned to pick up such minute changes:

seticlassic.ssl.berkeley.edu...

seticlassic.ssl.berkeley.edu...

I have posted the graphs of the two events of signal SHGb02+14a for you to view.

By the way, for those that are not aware, you can actually download the SETI software and become part of the world-wide team that searches for candidate signals.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Yes this was back in 2004, not sure what month tho.. But I do remember it.. Right now imho... My guess is this, with any signal that SETI detects, as do alot of volunteers, I've been one since 1999.. That SETI and this will take years, to figure out the signal, if its been confirmed more then once, that they need to make a more longer recording of it if its still there, and hence do a thorough analysis. But thats my opinion, agree or don't. this is science we're talking about.. lol Now whether NSA/US Gov/Military whatever, is scared... well to me I must say hey what must you be scared of.. It was just a few years ago, they were wah wah wah about Saddam and WMD, and nothing about Obama, hence why I think it was done from the inside.. Except for the blame, but no actual really getting him, and so on, before 2001, and then now, he runs away.. hmmmm

top topics

join