It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big pharma pushing Adderall and Ritalin as productivity boosters for humans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
shaolin_dragon,

I started taking Adderall my senior year of high school, due to poor decision making leading up to this year I had a 1.8GPA and needed to pass seventeen classes over the course of the year in order to pass. I made the decision to go back to school and succeed no matter what before I was prescribed the medicine. I was making fair progress, things were going fine, but when I discovered the medication things started going great. I finished all of those classes and received A's in all but one, which was a B. I also worked full time during that year, and before long I had developed a dependence on the drug. My recommended dosage was 40mg a day, I started out taking less than recommended but in the end was taking 60mg a day on average. I had developed what some might consider a eating disorder, I completely lost my appetite, I was never hungry. My body would get weak, I would try to eat but the thought of eating was nauseating. Occasionally, I would stop taking it for a day or two, during those days I would be miserable, lazy beyond lazy, and I would eat non-stop. Eventually I switched over to a newer "pro drug" called Vyvvanse (sp?), this medication felt less addictive, I always have and still do only take the recommended dosage. The withdraw affects from this drug have been much more tolerable compared to the adderall. Still, the appetite issues are a big problem. I can easily go two days with out eating and barely sleeping without feeling any desire to do either, but the lack of nourishment and sleep deprivation eventually catches up to my body which can result in cramps, pains, and spasms. After adjusting to the medication it did progressively get easier to handle these side-effects, and I think eating breakfast before taking the pill makes it a lot easier to eat through out the day. I have stopped taking this medication a couple of times, the first was to prove to myself I could. Although I got on fine without it, my productivity clearly suffered. When I decided to go back to college I also decided to start my adderall script back, after a semester I had become dependent on the drug so much again that I felt the need to switch back to vyvvanse, which was much easier to wean off of. I was on the Vyvvanse for the entire second semester, I also smoke quite a bit of pot during this time which could be responsible for some of my reactions. By the end of that semester I had lost a good deal of weight, which I already didn't have much to lose, and I was concerned about how the drug was affecting my heart. When I was shirtless you could clearly see my heart beating in my chest, the skin around it rising and sinking with the beat. So I quit again for about a month, at which point I decided to get back on it, but smoke less pot. Now that I have started again I find it incredibly difficult to eat, I prefer to take a day off in order to rejuvenate my body after a day on where my mind pushes my body beyond its limit without any concern for its condition.
To sum it up, these drugs, at least in my case, have amazing benefits for my mind. I am more focused, more driven, more sound in my beliefs, more confident, more competent, more capable, more productive, and so on... but there is always a catch, as is usually the case with such quick fixes. While my mind excels it leaves my body behind remorselessly, my body becomes the machine that my brain is operating which is fueled by pure motivation. Sounds great, but the human body requires more sustenance than motivation, and while this type of fuel can produce unprecedented results, the strain it places on the machine can be dangerous. That is the basic rundown of how this drug has affected me, but as I said, I was 18 when I started... not 5. I'm not a doctor, I am a college dropout at the moment, so take it for what it is... but my belief is that we are all products of our environments, as we grow we gain more control over those environments which in turn gives us more responsibility over ourselves. If I could travel through time and manipulate the environments which dictated my early life experiences, I think it would be entirely possible to shape myself into a person who did not need artificial fuel to reach the prime of my mental performance. Since we have yet to master time travel, I can not do that. However, you have the ability to manipulate your child's environment, of course in this modern world it would be completely impossible to control his or her environment and kind of twisted to try, but to manipulate is to change not to control. If you think there is any possible way that this could work for your child (I do not think there is a universal solution since every individual is unique and the environment that may be right for one may not be for another), and you are willing to put forth the efforts to make it happen, give it a chance before you medicate.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
i've been trying to get adderall for a few years now. An army doctor wouldn't give me any. The tests while I was in the Army showed that I had "50% chance of having ADD or not." This is some BS. I then saw a civilian dr not to long ago and he told me no. I need to work on my sleep apnea or something and that should help.

Such BS. I'm trying to study to get my CPA but I can't, I can't concentrate or retain anything.

Any help on me getting adderall?

I was also diagnosed at 13 with having ADD from a neurologist.
edit on 18-8-2011 by elrey72011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by elrey72011

If you read my post you already know I started taking mine when I was 18 in high school. I never had been into taking prescription medicine for recreational use or any reason other than if I was prescribed it, but I had heard about adderall and when a friend of mine offered one for free I took it. My mind was blown, the way I explained it was that I had all these loose tangled up wires inside me that became organized and snugly connected. I made an appointment with the dr., and I told him exactly that. He asked a few questions and I walked away with a prescription. Sounds like you just need to find a doctor who really doesn't care.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
This video sums it up nicely. As long as it makes you productive then it gets the FDA approval.

Caution, strong language.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
www.neldc.org

Nine percent of all American children, mostly boys are labeled with the "mental disorder" ADHD which is often diagnosed solely on a checklist of behaviors. There are no brain scans, x-rays, genetic or blood tests that can prove they actually have this disorder, Yet these children, are prescribed psychiatric drugs that increase heart beat, blood pressure and interfere with sleep and nutrition.
Chinese children continue to have better control of their behavior and outperform American children in school, yet Chinese children do not take Psychotropic medications like Adderall.

I wanted to believe what the doctors told me even though I was against medicating my son. It was not until my youngest son Nicholas was placed on this medication and I saw the side effects, which his pediatrician called "normal" that I realized that something was terribly wrong. I took him to another doctor and he was diagnosed with tachycardia. After coming off the drug, Nicholas made the honor role and at parents night when I asked if my son had any attention problems, his teachers told me that he was a hard working well focus student who was a delight to have in class. After taking the medication he is now under doctors orders cannot play sports as because of heat damage done by the medication. Ann Hohmann's son Matthew was not so fortunate. He dropped dead on the bathroom floor, after being on Adderall XR 20 mg for 29 doses. His mother appeared on Good Morning America to tell what happened to her son.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I don't think there is anything wrong with the drugs. Ultimately, if you want to succeed in modern society you need to be medicated. If attention deficit, anxiety, depressive and sleep disorders can be medicated why not medicate them? it should be a personal choice to use them

ultimately the side effects of pharmacological drugs are less than the side effects of not using them and that is the line of reasoning that the FDA takes as well

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by elrey72011

Army doctors tend to under-prescribe (costs the military money). Just go for an interview with a normal GP and tell them that you get a "sugar rush" every time you sit down to study.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
If drugs help people accomplish what they want, provided it does not have severe side effects, then I don't see what the problem is. These sort of medications are already prescribed to those who have ADHD, including adults, which is a somewhat broad disorder. And if you have ever talked to one of these people you would see that medications like Adderall and Ritalin improve their quality of life massively. The only possible problem I have with this, is these sort of substances have a high potential for abuse (which is why they are prescription only). Or in other words, idiot junkies are ruining it for everyone.

There are no brain scans, x-rays, genetic or blood tests that can prove they actually have this disorder,

Yes there is, but it costs a fortune. I don't know the details but brain scans of people with ADHD show that parts of the frontal lobe are less active than those in normal people. Stimulants help offset this which helps essentially to balance the person out.

I agree that this sort of medication should only be given to children only in some rare circumstances...
edit on 26/4/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
If drugs help people accomplish what they want, provided it does not have severe side effects, then I don't see what the problem is. These sort of medications are already prescribed to those who have ADHD, including adults, which is a somewhat broad disorder. And if you have ever talked to one of these people you would see that medications like Adderall and Ritalin improve their quality of life massively. The only possible problem I have with this, is these sort of substances can be abused (which is why they are prescription only). Or in other words, idiot junkies are ruining it for everyone.

The problem is prescription for children, where the children have no choice. Other than that the pharmaceutical industry has done a whole lot more good than it will ever get credit for

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw

If drugs help people accomplish what they want, provided it does not have severe side effects, then I don't see what the problem is. These sort of medications are already prescribed to those who have ADHD, including adults, which is a somewhat broad disorder. And if you have ever talked to one of these people you would see that medications like Adderall and Ritalin improve their quality of life massively. The only possible problem I have with this, is these sort of substances can be abused (which is why they are prescription only). Or in other words, idiot junkies are ruining it for everyone.

The problem is prescription for children, where the children have no choice. Other than that the pharmaceutical industry has done a whole lot more good than it will ever get credit for

Agreed. Not long ago I spend some time talking to adults who were diagnosed as adults as ADHD (Also remember ADD is a a subtype of ADHD): and the medication essentially turned their lives around. And you know, when people say things like "ADHD isn't real" the end result is they end up preventing people who need help from getting help.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
If you are boosting the intelligence of the brain with speed and restricting the primordial regions with fluoride than the conscience disappears and also common sense. These people will lack remorse for their actions and not worry of consequences of their actions. That isn't good. What are we trying to build in this country, a bunch of professional con-men?
A desensitized nation of people? Take the added fluoride out of the water and foodchain and put organic fluoride in coke, beer, and caffeinated drinks. Drink more coffee, it's good for people.
edit on 26-4-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Big pharma pushing Adderall and Ritalin as productivity boosters for humans

www.blacklistednews.com

Healthy people should have the right to boost their brains with pills, like those prescribed for hyperactive kids or memory-impaired older folks, several scientists contend in a provocative commentary.

College students are already illegally taking prescription stimulants like Ritalin to help them study, and demand for such drugs is likely to grow elsewhere, they say.

"We should welcome new methods of improving our brain function," and doing it with pills is no more morally objectionable
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.naturalnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ADHD is wide spread misinfo spread by the new world order.

yes but if they find new approved uses for a "patented" drug it can extend the market life and keep the drug under their patent right..

sorry but I am not explaining it right... I believe it extends the patent protections for the drug..

and big pharma has 2 things in mind... profits and limiting competition!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw

Agreed. Not long ago I spend some time talking to adults who were diagnosed as adults as ADHD (Also remember ADD is a a subtype of ADHD): and the medication essentially turned their lives around. And you know, when people say things like "ADHD isn't real" the end result is they end up preventing people who need help from getting help.

You are creating a person dependant on this drug for life! What is wrong with these brains if they need to be medicated to function better?

and isn't this the same argument many illegal drug users use to legitmize our use?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ::.mika.::
unfortunately nearly most of the sheeple deeply believe pharma corps are genuine businesses producing medicines for their wellness.

so this kind of speech doesn't shock any of them. so they'll take it, and they'll even want more after hearing 100 times on tv how good it is to be a sheep.

no actually you'd be suprised how many people genuinely hate the pharm corporations (also the bankers and the politicians). And im talking your average person not a truther or an ats reg.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Ritalin and Abilify should be removed from the market.

They both induce psychosis.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by timelordchick

Originally posted by ::.mika.::
unfortunately nearly most of the sheeple deeply believe pharma corps are genuine businesses producing medicines for their wellness.

so this kind of speech doesn't shock any of them. so they'll take it, and they'll even want more after hearing 100 times on tv how good it is to be a sheep.

no actually you'd be suprised how many people genuinely hate the pharm corporations (also the bankers and the politicians). And im talking your average person not a truther or an ats reg.

if we took away big pharma lots of people would drop dead and many more would cease to function normally,
in the long run, the harm they do it dwarfed by the good they do

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

You are creating a person dependant on this drug for life!

If you talk to them - then they don't seem to have much of a life before taking the medication. If they stop taking the medication then they usually go back to the way they were. Of course, there is some withdrawal obviously, but since they are not abusing the medication it shouldn't be too bad. Plus, as tolerance to Adderall builds then the Euphoric high disappears yet the better ability to focus and get what they want done remains. i.e. It's not as if they're chasing some euphoric high and end up taking more and more and more like junkies do.

What is wrong with these brains if they need to be medicated to function better?

If they have ADHD - then there is likely something wrong with their brains.

And if they want to make up for that disadvantage then I don't see why you should be able to tell them they cannot be medicated. Anything else and you're simply thinking that you know more about the patients than the patients themselves and their own doctors.

and isn't this the same argument many illegal drug users use to legitmize our use?

ADHD is a real disorder and under medical supervision, medications such as Adderall can reduce the symptoms. If an illegal drug when dosed correctly, under medical supervision has the ability to correct deficiencies than its use is legitimate. Junkies might try to make similar arguments about justifying their abuse, but there are distinctions such as: medical supervision, a real disorder, treating real symptoms versus chasing a high... and so on.
edit on 28/4/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

Originally posted by blowfishdl
I used to take Adderall for ADHD and it did help me out a LOT. With that said I have hyperactivity and attention deficit disorder. I experience extreme amounts of attention deficiency.

Same here. I never got any kind of buzz from it, I didn't even feel speedy on it. It actually calmed me, slowed my head down, relaxed me if anything, which allowed me to stay on task. Methphenidate, as well as Adderal, are really no big deal, even at the highest safest dosage. I never felt addicted to either when I abruptly stopped. And I agree with another poster here, who cares what someone does to themselves. And, who gets off telling another what they think is best for them? I say legalize it all. I despise people that think they have a right to dictate what's best or not for me. Let each make decisions for themselves and let each deal with their own consequences. I despise this nanny state world we have to tolerate run by a bunch of authoritarians and totalitarians that think of us as a bunch of ignorant monkeys that can't take care of ourselves for ourselves.

That is what it is suppose to do! These drugs like all drugs lock into nerve receptors in the brain ... when the drugs actually work the way they are suppose to there is no high. It is when the body's other nerve receptors get involved do we get a high from it....

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

You are creating a person dependant on this drug for life!

If you talk to them - then they don't seem to have much of a life before taking the medication. If they stop taking the medication then they usually go back to the way they were. Of course, there is some withdrawal obviously, but since they are not abusing the medication it shouldn't be too bad. Plus, as tolerance to Adderall builds then the Euphoric high disappears yet the better ability to focus and get what they want done remains. i.e. It's not as if they're chasing some euphoric high and end up taking more and more and more like junkies do.

What is wrong with these brains if they need to be medicated to function better?

If they have ADHD - then there is likely something wrong with their brains.

And if they want to make up for that disadvantage then I don't see why you should be able to tell them they cannot be medicated. Anything else and you're simply thinking that you know more about the patients than the patients themselves and their own doctors.

ADHD is a real disorder and under medical supervision, medications such as Adderall can reduce the symptoms. If an illegal drug when dosed correctly, under medical supervision has the ability to correct deficiencies than its use is legitimate. Junkies might try to make similar arguments about justifying their abuse, but there are distinctions such as: medical supervision, a real disorder, treating real symptoms versus chasing a high... and so on.
edit on 28/4/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

call it what you like! but a drug addict is a drug addict ..... I am sure many people justify their behavior in the ways you described ..

dependent on a drug for life is what big pharma is looking for ...... and any crack dealer!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It breaks down to Adderall being a toned down pharmaceutical methamphetamine and Ritalin gives a buzz more akin to coc aine without the numbing effect. They're both stimulants. The key to taking any drug is to imagine a line on a grid. When you take that drug the line is going to go up like a roller coaster. You can let it ware off or you can keep the ride going. Taking a stimulant daily is going to keep that line above is starting point with slight decreases at night. The second you run out of medication you have to deal with that line balancing itself back to get to its starting point. The longer you took the drug, the more your brain has become dependent on it, the longer you sit at the bottom of the roller coaster, stuck. I have experience taking all said substances except for methamphetamine on a daily and binge basis. Yes, they increase thought function, memory function, wit, focus, and make you feel good (get you high). They also handicap you in all of these areas when the drug wares off, even if its just at night. I think these drugs are over-prescribed. They can help but the warnings are not bold enough about them. They are great tools, but we should not depend on them. Self moderation and no daily use is where my opinion lies with these substances.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join