It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group urges Britons to stop being polite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Group urges Britons to stop being polite

www.usatoday.com

LONDON — It's one of the most visible signs of British civility: Stand politely in line and wait your turn.
Whether at check-out registers, bus stops or bank windows, people silently line up — or "queue" — and then wait some more. The queues usually form on their own without being imposed by the store or bank. And despite long lines, Britons seldom complain. It's a matter of proper etiquette.

Now, a consumer watchdog group says Britons should act more like Americans and demand better customer service. Businesses take for granted that people are all too happy to wait.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more, Britons should let go their civility, they are simply too civil. In fact they should legalize personal weapons and offer easily obtained handgun permits, while making anger mandatory in public places.

When in lines at the stores, let the toughest make it to the front of the lines, and when the doors open trample to death anyone who gets in their way... Just like the Americans!

The world needs to be more like us!

Do they have Wal Marts in the UK?

www.usatoday.com

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish

I couldn't agree more, Britons should let go their civility, they are simply too civil. In fact they should legalize personal weapons and offer easily obtained handgun permits, while making anger mandatory in public places.

When in lines at the stores, let the toughest make it to the front of the lines, and when the doors open trample to death anyone who gets in their way... Just like the Americans!

www.usatoday.com

I'm always prompting my British colleagues to "just get to the point"...or "just tell me what's on your mind"....but I wish I had their humour and patience in trying times

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I don't think they wait too patiently in line when the soccer or "football" is on.

One america is enough

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WishForWings
One america is enough

Really, One America is indeed enough..... To rule the world.

Every nation should strive to be more like America.

One America, one world!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
what a bazaar call.
i noticed he didn't offer any financially viable alternatives to queuing either.

on the other hand - the picture was of people queuing outside a restaurant, stuff that, lol. must be good food there.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
They wait patiently in line? What the hell is wrong with them? They should trample people to death while running into stores like we do here in America.

Get with the program, Brits.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I've never been to England but I am a life long New Yorker and I can tell you from experience that being impatient and impolite DOES NOT equate to better customer service.

In fact I had always assumed that the "New York Attitude" was a result of such poor customer service from the subway station to the cigarette store.

However, being nice to someone who is providing customer service doesn't always promise better service around here either.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Rofl, do you wan tea and crumpets with your article govner?

Seriously, people seemt o think we all speak like cockney retards (no offence to cockneys, just the ones portraid, tend to be stupid) and we all are very polite and well mannered.

First, there is nothing wrong with being polite and well mannered, second, not all of us in the UK are polite at all times.

Many times I have lost my cool with pisstakeing stores and workers (I even headbutted one prick for makeing me wait 1 hour to get a pair of trainers, then he brung the wrong size and told me they do not have my size in stock when I told him it was the wrong size, he obviously wanted to skive off some more lol).

Queing nicely does not mean we accept the #ty service, but it is either that or go somewhere else, given the inconvenience of finding another place that sell/service what you want, it is more efficient to wait in line do you think not? (especially if the place you find has a que also). Plus I tend to write a letter of complaint if I had to spend more than 20 minutes in a que, if more people bothered to do as I do, maybe the stores would take note.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Queuing politely isn't done to be nice to the business, it's done to be nice to everyone else waiting.

The businesses still hear the complaints of how long it took, but in the mean time, people in Britain tend to try not to make the wait an act of war for the rest of the people waiting.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish

www.usatoday.com

This might be one of the most absolutely best things ive ever read on BTS. Thanks sooo much for making my day. S&F'd.

top topics

join