It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone REALLY know anything?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Hey baseball, so are you saying that you know that omniscience is not attainable? How do you know this?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I absolutely, positively, know that fresh bathed and powdered babies smell good, that the only reason for dough in chocolate chip cookies is to hold together the chocolate chips, and that laughter will comfort even a troubled heart, even if only for a moment.

Fifty years. And that's all I'm absolutely certain of.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The more you come to learn the more you realize just how pointless all that information truly is.

Kinda makes me think that animals and small children/babies are the only being on this earth who truly have everything figured out.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMayMelancholies

The fact that mass exists is not a suitable explanation to why gravity also exists. You are just making an analogy: the more mass=the more gravity. Doesn't answer any questions. So it is really still just an observation. I would like to pursue it further, I am not prone to getting headaches. I don't know what you mean by time paradoxes.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

because logically it's quite impossible, humans will never fully possibly know everything it's not possible ... i mean i guess it technically is ... but the world will most likely have ended way before people would have theoretically been able to achieve omnipotence ... you could bring religion into this if you want in the sense that people will never be able to know everything because God will not allow it ... but i don't want to turn this into a religious thread...

[edit on 8-12-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I have to say that is one of the most genius things I have ever read. Its simplicity is what makes it so beautiful.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Yes, I know things.
One of those things I know is that I can not show you the things I do in fact know.

Just because the things I DO know are not transferable does not equate to unknowing things I DO.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I think the question you ask is valid but then like a poster said befor..

Does it matter?? would you be able to ask that question that is spinning about in your head if you was not here?

We do know things granted not everything and maybe the things we know are false "your paradime"..

Simple answer to the question you seek is "dont seek it"

I dont understand why we have odd numbers is that a question I should ask Yes! does that mean I dont know anything? Nope, it human to ask and find out things about ones enviroment..but sometimes the question you ask you will never get an answer for "and that is the answer"

understand? being right and being wrong is the same thing ! a result of the question.. what you chose is different / or accept !!

god i need more wine!! lol

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
To some, truth as it is preceived now cannot be changed no matter what. And to others, the truth could be changed if the new truth clearly shows that the previous truth is either flawed or incomplete.

Truth cannot be flawed or incomplete, it is what is. Only people's ideas of it can be flawed or incomplete. However, this doesn't mean the truth can't change.

For example...the missing chapters and books from the Bible. Now to most the current content of the Bible is the absolute truth, no exceptions.

Yet they are using faith to believe that it is the absolute truth rather than observation.

However to others, the missing pieces tell them that the truth is incomplete, thus truth must contain more than what others see as complete truth

or less than what others see as complete truth.

, thus that truth can..and from my point of view, must change to have a complete truth. And at that point would be changed.

Your view of truth changes rather than the actual truth itself changing.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WEOPPOSEDECEPTION
Who wants to know?

Ha, ha. The consciousness that typed this post.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I dont know about that now. If obvious removal of bits and pieces of truth are kept out of what is supposed to be truth, then you do not have complete truth at all, which means that if you apply the deleted parts, then that what was once thought to be true is no longer the real truth.

Hence the previous truth has changed, not because of preception or point of view, but because the missing pieces are now applied and that does change the previous truth to a new truth.

It may change it just a little, or a whole lot. Either way, the truth changed from one to another.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The point of the topic is

Do we know anything really?.. Well we do, based on me typing a reply to a person who is asking a question!! I know that correct??

You need to pin down what it is that you are asking what we know.

Do i know the sun will come up yes !

Do i know im going to give myself another glass of wine you betcha "love palin" lol

you see its the question that is always the problem but we never understand why it is we ask it!! what made you think of the question you are asking do you really know why you are even asking it?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

An example would be the classic grandfather paradox. One goes back in time and kills their grandfather. Some might say that you cease to exist because you grandfather never mated with your grandmother and concieved your mother/father, but if you never existed then you never could have gone back in time to kill your grandfather which means you do exist and you do go back in time and kill you grandfather... etc. etc.

It's an infinite loop. There's no real answer. Just like "truth". You cannot find the absolute truth, because truth itself is a human concept formed through our perceptions and observation of the world around us. Its all very confusing and not really worth worring about if you ask me...

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
Well, so far 2 and 2 has always equaled four.

This part I agree.

Apples continuosly fall from trees,

really? Even in the winter...I didn't know that.

and pricipels based on that beginners bit of knowledge have enabled us to plan and launch missions that reach the outer most parts of our solar system.

I know it may be hard to believe, but I would not consider this an undeniable truth.

Generally speaking, I'm pretty sure if you unplug you're comptuer you wil not be able to access the internet, unless you're on a laptop, in which removing your battery will amount to the same thing.

I agree, but I wouldn't say you could have really known that for sure.

I'm certain that at some point I will die, though what exactly happens afterwords is a matter of some debate, though I'm fairly certain I won't be able to comment on any of my findings after the fact.

I don't even know if you are an illusion, robot, or what so I can't say whether you will die or not.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMayMelancholies
It's human nature to want the impossible.

I disagree, but will keep an open mind. Many humans try to avoid the impossible at all costs, at least, I think they do.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I appreciate your reply and think you might have a clue.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
hmm after reading some of what you say it seems your out on some quest to troll?

i dont mean to be bad in that respect as i did find the topic interesting and contributed to it in the best way i could.

But you dont seem to want to have an end to this thread and many people have gave you very logical answers to the question that you have asked.

I say give up and think of something els unless you want to tell me why we have odd numbers then I am happy to keep going lol

all in all we ask things everyday but we may not get the truth or the answer but the thing you are not givin is still the answer to the question you asked "understanding this" will help as it is me in understand odd numbers

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101
because logically it's quite impossible,

I don't trust logic.

humans will never fully possibly know everything it's not possible ... i mean i guess it technically is ... but the world will most likely have ended way before people would have theoretically been able to achieve omnipotence ...

I never said humans specifically, just that omniscience wasn't attainable...which if you think that there is an afterlife and you think that your knowledge of the truth grows with life then it may actually be attainable. But I don't know.

you could bring religion into this if you want in the sense that people will never be able to know everything because God will not allow it ... but i don't want to turn this into a religious thread...

I don't think religion is the truth, so it doesn't really matter if someone's idea of God will not allow omniscience. However, if you would like to explain a different view I'm all ears.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
We can know the physical for sure, with practice. Can we truly know the spiritual beyond a feeling? No.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
i think the whole forum is only speculation! the smart people ask the questions and the dumb people know how to answer them, lol!

over all this is a great alternative outlet, that is safe from the main stream commercial media.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join