It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now a Tax on Tree Houses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Now a Tax on Tree Houses

www.dailyexpress.co.uk

HOME owners who put a tree house in their garden will see their council tax bills rocket under Labour's latest stealth tax on struggling families.

In an attempt to squeeze households for ever more cash, the Government will classify a tree house as a home improvement which adds value to a property.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
According to the article taxes are expected to rise an average of 10% over the next two years.

They plan to revalue every home in the UK.

Apparently many families are already struggling to pay their taxes and this could be a devastating blow to them. It is even expected people may do damage to their properties in order to avoid additional tax.

Where does this all stop? Enough already!

www.dailyexpress.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It's a shame they don't say what will reduce the valuation?

I am sure if I was planning any home improvements; I would now have second thoughts until after this has taken place.

If you home / garden is trashed do you receive a reduction or a court order to improve it?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sylph hugger

This is freaking nuts, I'm ashamed to live in the Uk, i'm sure the x factor, soap operas and lager are government sponsored.

BAAAAAAAAAAH BAAAAAAAAH

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
So in the UK, they 1) decide what they think your home is worth, 2) charge you a percentage of that each year, 3) take your home away if you don't pay?

How is that different from not actually owning your property, but rather renting it from the State?

I believe things are like that in other counties, too, but it seems strange to me that even those who cry out for a 'flat tax' on income have no problem with these kind of things. This is essentially a 'flat tax', too - except on wealth, not income.

Hey, if we're going to go that far, why not charge businesses a flat tax each year, based on the number and current value of outstanding shares?

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

The tax is actually council tax and is set by the local authority where a person lives.

Council tax is banded according to the size and value of a property.

We have been hearing scare stories about plans for council officers to have the power to enter a persons home and re-assess the banding according to any improvements made on the property for some time now, but these have so far failed to materialise.

Info on council tax here

A coucnil can take a person to court for not paying,and I have heard of people being sent to prison for a couple of weeks for refusing to pay, but I haven't heard relaible reports of people losing their homes.

top topics

join