It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefighter says an F-18 fighter jet has crashed in a San Diego residential area.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Firefighter says an F-18 fighter jet has crashed in a San Diego residential area.

www.google.com

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Firefighter says an F-18 fighter jet has crashed in a San Diego residential area.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This has just broken about 10 minutes ago.

The plane is from Miramar and the pilot has apparently ejected, that at least is what CNN just reported

I will update sources and information as it comes in.

To all the military experts on ATS, is it SOP to eject if the plane is heading for a populated area?

www.google.com

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Interesting story, sd. I'm looking forward to seeing more about this.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

SAN DIEGO -- At least one structure is on fire at the scene of that military jet crash in a residential neighborhood near Cather Avenue and Huggins Street in University City, a dispatcher says. The pilot of the plane, believed to be an F-18, reportedly ejected safely and parachuted to the ground. There are no immediate reports of injuries.

10news.com

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
That is SOOO odd here in northern cali they made a holy hades cry over the 3 f-18's that went and pulled sonic boom's over populated areas close to San Fransico. It was supposed to be against their fly rules (Travis AFB)....the desert ;the ocean ; anywhere but over populated cities is what they reported. The three pilots where charged and put in the stocks over it.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
There's live coverage right now on CNN from KGTV.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
A little more in the wrong direction and a bridge would have been taken out.

On a side note I wonder who will cover the costs of replacing the home and the belongings. Will insurance cover this and get reimbursed from the military or will the military just cover it out right?

Raist

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Interesting; I heard a Sonic Boom in the Los Angeles area Last Monday.

I am eagerly awaiting the official comments on this...

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Wow, Hopefully everyone there will be ok, I heard the pilot is stuck in a tree?

I wonder what the heck made that crash!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I am shocked and thankful at how little damage this seems to have done to the surrounding buildings. It must have been almost vertical when it hit. I'm praying that no one was home and that the crew of the jet fighter are safe.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Live video.

www.10news.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Oh man I hope everyone is all right. I would assume by the time a pilot needs to eject there isn't much they can do anymore to control the plane.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I hope the military covers it outright. I have a feeling they will. I think people would be pretty outraged if they don't.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Hi All,

Here is another link to live video provided by nbc-sandiego:
NBC-Live

There isnt much in the way of audio so far. (this is, from what I can, tell raw video footage)

EDIT to say that they are now reporting that 2 homes have been completely destroyed . Although it is hard to see through all of the smoke. I do hope no one was home at the time.

[edit on 12/8/2008 by sylvrshadow]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The guy they interviewed on the news just now said he saw it spiraling out of control “just like in Top Gun”. He also said he seen one of the pilots and he “looked dazed and confused”.

The guy though said it was “definitely an F-15” which only leads me to believe he is not really sure what he saw or that they are not saying the right type of jet crashed.

And now the military base is going there because they are not even sure it is their jet.

Raist

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Holy crud, I hope everyone gets out all right!

This should be a WAKE UP CALL! There will only be more occasions like this if the stateside military presence increases!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
CNN reports that the pentagon confirms it was an FA-18 (two seater) from Miramar.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

This has just broken about 10 minutes ago.

The plane is from Miramar and the pilot has apparently ejected, that at least is what CNN just reported

I will update sources and information as it comes in.

To all the military experts on ATS, is it SOP to eject if the plane is heading for a populated area?

www.google.com

The pilot will attempt to steer the aircraft away from populated areas till the very last second before ejecting. If the pilot cannot steer away from the populated area, the pilot will do their best to try to minimize casulties on the ground by directing the aircraft into a street or empty lot before they absolutely must eject.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 8-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Another update:

The marines are claiming that the plane is theirs (according to the 10news report). They are on their way to the scene to determine if it is an f-15 or f-18, and i am assuming to start their investigation.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
You can see in the live video, the impact began on the street, but the inertia of the moving aircraft forced it to slide into the homes.

Thus the pilot did thier best to try to make the impact away from the homes. But he cannot control physics of a plane out of control and going to go where the momentum is going to take it once they eject.

It could have been much worse.

Cheers!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join