It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Fossil Found on Mars?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
CNN Video Link

These are not the Giant glass tube worms.

Hi everyone. The above link is a video on cnn that shows an alleged fossil of a worm like creature. I am not saying that the claim is true but it is compelling seeing that it is a NASA scientist making the connection for us.

Mods, move or delete if necessary. Thank you.

Thanks for the editing tips guys.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by bharata]

[edit on 8-12-2008 by bharata]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Can you fix the link for the video? The link you provided is about young men of Somali descent from Minneapolis have disappeared. I am very interested.

Edit: I found your video:

edition.cnn.com...#/video/tech/2008/12/02/obrien.mars.worm.cnn?iref=videosearch

2nd edit: same thing happened when I pasted the link for the video. It links to the Minneapolis story.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by nyarlathotep]

[edit on 12-8-2008 by nyarlathotep]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Click on Web button (world icon) then type in title then paste in the link

CNN Video

Thanks for sharing

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Is this what you are talking about?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Now that we have the video crises solved
Great find thanks

But I'm like the scientist who says we dont know yet if the worm is real.

Although it does look like they may have found something and this one in my opinion does not "look like rocks"

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

No this one is a new different.
that is a good one but isnt that one huge?

The one talked about is pretty small

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

No that's not it. Watch the video. The pictures are from Mars rovers.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

do you mean this one?

www.youtube.com...

i posted it before..
at this thread (where nobody had any replies for, ok not nobody..but not many)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

"""""""

hehe looks really like big sand-worms

;-)

Nia

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
"rotini worm" thread here www.abovetopsecret.com...

More info here too.marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit to add image and link.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by alyosha1981]

[edit on 8-12-2008 by alyosha1981]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bharata

It's an interesting video. It does look like a 'worm' but I also think it looks very pebble like. It's more like a catterpillar or grub than a worm. I was leaning towards the stone/pebble explanation until I saw this...

www.damninteresting.net...

If that was fossilised it would look pretty similar I guess. I'm wondering if the process of fossilisation would infact crush soft creatures like that but i googled 'worm fossil' and it seems that soft bodied creatures can infact become fossilised.

Good video.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by and14263]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It does not look like a fossil to me (and I have said it every time this appears, so sorry for those that have read it all the times
).

Also, it is very unlikely that there was only one fossil in this place, fossils usually can be found in an area, in all places of that area, because that area had the right conditions for the creation of the fossils.

PS: I am not a geologist, just someone who collected fossils for some time from a place where we found several hundreds from which we choose several dozens from which our mother convinced us to throw away more than half. I still have some.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Its the first impression and the contrast with the surroundings that strike me about the image. Watch the video it seems they regret not being able to study the area further. It is just speculation but hey interesting none the less.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
But who really knows if they searched the area further? if this was something that fell through the cracks and others were found I don't think that the public would have been told, just a guess though

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Once MSL gets there with the very much improved MAHLI camera, we will see in great detail these fossiils. And very upclose too!!

MAHLI Camera

Here is a sample image from that very camera that will be mounted to the arm on the MSL rover.

News release HERE

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 8-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
PS: I am not a geologist, just someone who collected fossils for some time from a place where we found several hundreds from which we choose several dozens from which our mother convinced us to throw away more than half. I still have some.

Have you forgiven her for it?

My Mom threw away my Marvel comics when I left.

[edit on 12/8/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
This is in my opinion one of the more promising images of so called life forms on mars and I think it deserves more scrutiny than some of the other images Ive seen. The other thread that this was mentioned was ridiculed to death. Any image analysis freaks out there want to take another look?

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
New full size image of the "Worm".

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bharata

Well, it's not really "new", it's as old as the other photo, it's from the same Sol.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I posted the "old" image to show the anomaly in context. I dont want to split hairs but again no real explanation for the formation has been given.

Its pasta
, Ridicule it and it goes away
, if it was formed by say volcanic activity then why is there no repetition of the pattern anywhere in the image?

If you watch the video a NASA representative says that it is very compelling and was intrigued enough to give an interview about it.

Watch the video again. Has any one seen a natural formation like this while hunting for fossils and found it to be a natural geological formation?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bharata

I don't remember seeing anything that looked like that, but it was more than 20 years ago, and if it was not something I would bring home, even if I have seen something like it, it would be naturally forgotten by now, so I can only say that I do not remember seeing something like it.

And I do not agree with the idea that it was a result of the rotation of the blade.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join