It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomer has solved the Star of Bethlehem mystery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I came across this interesting article:

Astronomer Dave Reneke believes he has solved the Star of Bethlehem mystery

IT'S an enduring mystery - and a source of equal wonder to scientists and Christians alike. But an Australian astronomer believes he has answered the riddle of the Bethlehem star, even narrowing down the date of Jesus' birth to a day. The guiding star that led the three wise men, or magi, to the birthplace of Jesus Christ is one of the most lasting symbols of biblical mythology. News editor of Sky and Space magazine Dave Reneke says complex charting software has allowed astronomers to map the night sky as it would have appeared more than 2000 years ago and has revealed a spectacular astronomical event at the time of Jesus' birth. "It's like a digital map where we can move forward in time as well as backwards," Mr Reneke explained. Generally accepted research has places the nativity to somewhere between 3BC and 1AD. Using the Bible book of Matthew as a reference point, Mr Reneke pinpointed the planetary conjunction to an exact date in 2BC.

I am not a Christian and would like to know about the Bethlehem star. What was the mystery and do you believe that Astronomer has solved it?

[edit on 7-12-2008 by rattan1]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
NO, it's just another way to show the sheep a possible physical entity may of existed thus furthering their claims to a flying spaghetti monster in the sky. I love how the guy purports it to be 1bc or 3ad, umm he was purported to of lived over 30 years, did the star float around for that long seeing the story claims that it was around only during the aforementioned timetable.

Wake up people, your being lied to on a daily basis, some of it being about immaginary space friends. Life is meant to be lived. . .

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
which is know as the merkaba a tool for safe travel

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I, for one, certainly think it's possible. Although far from a certainty. There are surely other things it could have been. But this is definitely a possibility.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Nope, he has not. From my understanding the proper time which Jesus was born was actually the time around April and May. It has something to do with the activity stated in the context about the sheep at the time.
Despite the fact that we have Christmas in December that was put in because of convenience at the time.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
Despite the fact that we have Christmas in December that was put in because of convenience at the time.

You might actually find that it follows traditions from earlier Pagan lol beliefs about a Virgin Mother and Son like Isis etc and back to Babylon.

Research the previous religion's with such an deity as above and look at their festival times!

I am sure you will be surprised.

Elf.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

I have read about that before time and again. Thus why I said "convenience." Convenience on the fact it would be easier to convert a pagan population by keeping certain dates that are familiar to them and giving those dates a Christian purpose. Of course this doesn't change the fact any bit that I am Catholic and intend to continue as one.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Nope, he has not. From my understanding the proper time which Jesus was born was actually the time around April and May. It has something to do with the activity stated in the context about the sheep at the time.

Yes that is my understanding also.
Christmas being moved to Dec was to coincide with the start of the summer Solstice.

Something like that anyway.

Great article

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Some now believe there were space craft the angels or aliens used that may have been responsible for this light, as if to follow and protect from: "Up on high."
So, the astronomer could be looking for evidence he won't ever find that way.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The Answer to the Mystery is in the Vatican Achieves. God knows what Truth they are hiding there. The Vatican is just like the government full of lies and secrets that if revealed will shake the very foundation of Christianity. They are the author of the biggest conspiracy on this planet perpetrated just to keep a controlling hand on the population.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by biomehanika

Would you care to search for it yourself? They have gone and posted the Vatican Archives on the internet.

Have fun:

asv.vatican.va...

Edit: Correction, they have begun to post the documents on the internet and such. As of course it will take quite a few years before everything can be translated, typed up, stored, etc. Nonetheless, they are more open about things than the government.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by spec_ops_wannabe]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I've heard numerous times that it's Sirius.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Not convincing at all. They decide what to put online and they will keep the sensitive parts for themselves. The Vatican is a dying institution so they decide to put their archive online to attract the interest of people. They know that they have lost their power and influence. They cannot be trusted. Look what they did to the Templar, portraying them as dad people and all of a sudden some documents are found saying they were good people after all.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
From what I read,

Similar to the planetary alignment of the "smiley face" witnessed across the Western sky last week, he said a "beacon of light" would have been visible across the eastern dawn sky as Venus and Jupiter moved across the constellation of Leo on June 17, 2BC.

He did not say December. I believe it is a given that most christians are aware that dec 25 was not the actual day he was born.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PowerSlave

He did not say December. I believe it is a given that most christians are aware that dec 25 was not the actual day he was born.
What is then? Or is it just an unknown?

Kinda pisses me off that his birth was celebrated in December just to try and overwrite the pagan holiday.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Interesting article

It says June 17, 2 B.C.E., so that fits with the usual late spring/early summer thought.

And I think the mystery is just, was there actually a star in the East for the Magi to follow, and if so what was it. This finding says that there was a conjunction of planets that would have created an unusual, bright, "star".

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Please, elaborate on how they are "dying." Last time I checked they were alive and well. They continue to move forward. They still have plenty of influence, just not as directly or apparent to many. Do you really think the Vatican of today is the same exact thing as from the Middle Ages? In those times everything was about power, no matter who you were. Some groups were taken advantage of. There was much corruption plaguing the Church in those days.
I consider the Vatican today much more trustworthy than a large number of other institutions.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Astrological conjunctions have been pointed to as the 'Star of Bethelem' ever since i was a kid,

and the theory repeats about every 3-5 years...

The July 17th , date when a Jupiter-Venus conjunction transited 'Leo' might seem significant...
but what were the shepherds herding sheep in winter grazing areas, in the beginning of summer?

isn't it ironic that the first proclaimation of the long awaited 'savior' of mankind was made by Magicians & Astrologers...exactly the 'dark arts' that Christians, then & now, condemn... and claim is evil & inspired by the devil

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Please, elaborate on how they are "dying." Last time I checked they were alive and well. They continue to move forward. They still have plenty of influence, just not as directly or apparent to many. Do you really think the Vatican of today is the same exact thing as from the Middle Ages? In those times everything was about power, no matter who you were. Some groups were taken advantage of. There was much corruption plaguing the Church in those days.
I consider the Vatican today much more trustworthy than a large number of other institutions.

A dying institution it is. The number of atheist around the world is increasing. The numerous scandal of child abuse in churches has eroded the trust of many people in the institution. And as you said they originate from the middle age…..as far as I know the word of god they preach has not changed since then…

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   

We can always discuss the future of the Vatican on another thread. What I am interested is the issue at hand. It is very interesting to see that someone is using science to solve religious mysteries.

So we are down to a bright light in the sky referred to as the Bethlehem star. I recently read a very interesting article about an astronomer who turned back time to the 16th Century to examine a Super nova that occurred. He did that by studying light echo from that star when it exploded. I think the same thing can be done to further examine the Bethlehem star. read article to understand the Technique:

Astronomers 'Time Travel' to 16th Century Supernova

top topics

<<   2 >>

join