It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher sorry for binding girls in slavery lesson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Teacher sorry for binding girls in slavery lesson

www.msnbc.msn.com

White teacher taped hands and feet of two black girls to enliven discussion

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - A white social studies teacher attempted to enliven a seventh-grade discussion of slavery by binding the hands and feet of two black girls, prompting outrage from one girl's mother and the local chapter of the NAACP.

"I think the teacher should have gotten some discipline," Shand said. "I know if that was me, I would be uncomfortable going back to that class. Why should my daughter have to switch?"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
What is shown by a white teacher binding two black girls in a classroom? Nothing educational in my opinion.

"On Nov. 18, Bernstein was discussing the conditions under which African captives were taken to America in slave ships. She bound the two students' hands and feet with tape and had them crawl under a desk to simulate the experience, Monahan and Shand said. Monahan said the girls were not the only blacks in the class.

Gabrielle Shand burst into tears at home, her mother said."

This teacher has gone beyond his/her limits. Did the teacher suddenly forget the seriousness of slavery? Did the teacher think that suddenly black people have forgotten their past and gave amnesty to their captors? No, but this teacher seems to perceive slavery as something that should be forgotten and laughed at.

I had a teacher teacher who tried to remove any "anti-American" mentality from his students. He joked about Bush's heinous actions and made fun of minorities in class as if it was a comedy show. These are teachers that should be reprimanded and removed if possible.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Gabrielle Shand burst into tears at home, her mother said."

Probably after her mother started making a big deal out of it and the girl didn't have anything left to do but cry. The little girl doesn't know jack about being a slave, so why should it concern her or even or mother?

BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK?

BLACK?

BLACK????

BLACK????????????????

Like there have never been any WHITE slaves.... JEW Slaves, ASIAN slaves, etc...

but this teacher seems to perceive slavery as something that should be forgotten and laughed at.

Damn right it should be forgotten and laughed at.

Humor is the best way to get past our prior mistakes. It shows that it's in the past and that we won't judge the current population for those actions of our ignorant ancestors.

The stupid teacher should have at least had 1 black and 1 race other than white. Choosing two black students is just poor judgment.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

Indeed.

From the name, it seems safe to assume that the teacher is a Jew, so I doubt there was any malice there as Jewish people tend to be liberal and open minded (at least outside of Israel anyway), given their own recent persecution, so I wouldn't think that she would have done it as a malicious act.

I, of course, could be wrong and the teacher could be a closet racist, but it seems like the childrens families are making a right meal out of this.

It's unlikely that even the kids parents have experienced any significant amount of racism or prejedice themselves, so to bark on about bringing back bad memories of slavery is a bit of a joke, especially considering that Jews have had it pretty bad and far more recently (in living memory, too!).

Anyway, that's my yearly quota of being Pro-Jewish out of the way.....

(Before anyone craps on me for that, it was a tongue in cheek remark as I have been a vocal critic of Israel and have been accused many times of Anti-semitism incorrectly as a result)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Oh, and another thing:

"I think the teacher should have gotten some discipline," Shand said.

I think the mother should "have gotten" some English lessons or paid attention in school herself... Gotten? That's not even a word.... Why add a syllable when she could have said just as easily ""I think the teacher should have got some discipline,"...

Rahhh.....

[edit on 7/12/08 by stumason]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I'm not being racist, but the speech patterns of Blacks seem to be significantly different than those of the rest of the English-speaking world. I don't think that it's a question of education, I think it's more of an inherited trait.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It seems it was merely a demonstration. The teacher could have done without the tape in my opinion. Could have still told the students to go under the desks and pretend to be bounded.

But imagine if it was a white teacher, teaching to all black children. If wanting to demonstrate, what choice would she have but to pick black students. The converse is also true.

Overall, I do not think the mother should have been that concerned. Now if the teacher took it once step further and locked them under the desk or "demonstrated" a whipping punishment, then there is definitely a call for action.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
When people forget something, it will be repeated again in the future. One learns from his/her mistakes, this also applies to communities, nations, and race.

Should the Chinese forget the 30 million causalities inflicted by the Japanese?
Should Jews simply ignore the Holocaust?
Should America simply forgive Bush for his actions?

No, in fact, these events should be remembered more vividly so that people can learn from them.

Why do Westerners still hate Muslims and Communists if they claim to be so forgiving and open minded?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Oh, and another thing:

"I think the teacher should have gotten some discipline," Shand said.

I think the mother should "have gotten" some English lessons or paid attention in school herself... Gotten? That's not even a word.... Why add a syllable when she could have said just as easily ""I think the teacher should have got some discipline,"...

Rahhh.....

[edit on 7/12/08 by stumason]

Sorry, "gotten" is in fact a real word.
"Gotten" is used in the place of "have got" when first person possession is not implied. It should be in any dictionary.

top topics

join