It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden To Be Barred From Democratic Caucus Meetings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Biden To Be Barred From Democratic Caucus Meetings

www.huffingtonpost.com

Politico's Mike Allen is previewing an article set to appear in Sunday's Las Vegas Sun about Harry Reid's efforts to roll back the Vice President's expanded role under Dick Cheney by barring Joe Biden from Senate Democratic caucus meetings:

"The new Congress will reassert its constitutional independence from the White House by barring the vice president from joining in internal Senate deliberations, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said in an interview with The Sun. The move is intended to restore checks and balances to a system that tilted heavily toward the White House in the Bush presidency. By giving Vice President Dick Cheney regular access to Senate Republican caucuses, at times with White House advisers in tow, party unity became more important to many Republicans than upholding their responsibilities to provide legislative oversight of the executive, experts say. Asked if Vice-President Joe Biden will be allowed to attend Senate Democratic caucus meetings, Reid said: 'Absolutely not.'"

(visit the link for the full news article)

www.politico.com...

[edit on 6-12-2008 by grover]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
EXCELLENT!!!

I have been saying for some time... actually way before the election.... that whomever wins, whether it be Obama, or McCain, that they would be facing a resurgent congress reasserting its rights as an independent branch of government.

I maintain that this resurgent congress will actually be harder on Obama despite being of the same party because they will want to be the polar opposite of the Republican controlled congress between 2000 and 2006 when it functionally became a rubber stamp for the bush minor administration.... and this move is proof.

Between this and a left wing media that is already showing signs of impatience with Obama, and you will find that he is not going to be given the cake walk bush minor was given by both a Republican controlled congress and the right wing media and its spokespeople.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.politico.com...

[edit on 6-12-2008 by grover]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I don't know why this thread is being ignored... after 8 years of an imperial vice presidency, returning it to its traditional role is important, very important.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Funny thing is that this isnt going to work to their favor. There has been to many laws put in place by bush and co to keep him out. If the WH wants they can shut them down and rule from the top.( look what just happened to Canadas parliment) Check it out most of the bills he signed in are still up on the white house press site to this day. They are just attached to the "mundane" looking anouncements at the base of the articles. I believe the one about just this was in the first half July of 2008.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I wonder how this will work in the event of a tie vote for some of their bills trying to be passed. As its the Vice Idiots job to be the tie breaker in the Senate, I wouldn't be in to much of a hurry to piss him off. It might very well make more trouble than just returning more power to the congress! I can see Harry Ried trying to impeach Biden for non-cooperation. What a joke that would be!

Zindo

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I don't know why this thread is being ignored... after 8 years of an imperial vice presidency, returning it to its traditional role is important, very important.

I never knew it was imperial to follow the constitution?

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.

As President of the Senate, the Vice President has complete constitutional authority to be present for any and all senate deliberations. That is the constitution. Get over it.

Again, you show that you are so absolutely and hysterically biased it isn't even funny

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Why are you attacking me? This is the second thread you have done so on today...

You know as well as I do that Dick Cheney exerted far more power than any vice president in the history of the country and what I am saying is that it is good that the VP return to their traditional role.

Yes he has the right to be part of any hearings but he is not supposed to be the power behind the throne.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Why are you attacking me? This is the second thread you have done so on today...

You know as well as I do that Dick Cheney exerted far more power than any vice president in the history of the country and what I am saying is that it is good that the VP return to their traditional role.

Yes he has the right to be part of any hearings but he is not supposed to be the power behind the throne.

Why do you feel like pointing out the obvious is an attack? If you are going to throw out terms which show your overt bias, like "imperial presidency", you should expect that it be noted what you are doing. Its not attacking, its the truth. If you don't like it perhaps concentrate on the facts instead of being so incredibly biased?

Dick Cheney exerted no more power than he was constitutionally allowed. The amount of power vice presidents choose to take in their role as President of the Senate has varied widely over the years. It certainly isn't "imperial" and is in fact 100% constitutional for the Vice President to be present in any and all Senate deliberations.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by LowLevelMason]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
And there are plenty, including many conservatives who would argue that Cheney has abused his power and does indeed constitute an imperial vice presidency... Bob Barr for one.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I don't know why this thread is being ignored . . . after 8 years of an imperial vice presidency, returning it to its traditional role is important, very important.

You called that right, Mr Grover. This argument over the proper role of the vice president is the focal point of the separation of powers argument. Is the Vice President a member of the Executive branch - Article 2 - or is he or she a member of the Legislative branch - Article 1?

For me it is simple. The VP is a member of the Executive branch but with an assigned task in the Legislative branch. 2 jobs. 1) Preside and 2) vote when a tie. A presiding officer is usually not a participant in the debates or behind the door sessions. It is imperative for a presiding officer that he or she to be effective must be perceived to be impartial. You cannot be impartial one moment then partisan the next. Unless you are in deep denial like Dick Cheney.

Joe Biden must contain himself and offer any advice to Obama. Not to Reid or McConnell.

[edit on 12/7/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thank you... you made a far more compelling and concise argument than I could.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
If Biden is supposed to reamin impartial, why is he allowed to vote without knowing what he is voting for or against? He must be part of the process to faithfully participate in an informed manner. Otherwise he is there to vote only with the party line which makes him partial NOT impartial!

Zindo

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
post by Zindo

If Biden is supposed to remain impartial, why is he allowed to vote without knowing what he is voting for or against? He must be part of the process to faithfully participate in an informed manner. Otherwise he is there to vote only with the party line which makes him partial NOT impartial! Zindo

Who said the system is perfect? Where does it say the VP must be naive? Or even uninformed? It does not. Sure, any person in high office who has a public duty to perform will if he or she is conscientious, be informed about the issues before him or her. Good management of the Senate means that both sides will know ahead of time when a tie vote is to come up.

It is almost nonsensical to imagine a time when the majority party - if it is the same party as the VP - would not share the views of the sitting VP. You’re talking too much theoretical versus the 99.9% of time when real politick prevails.

Speaking of percentages, I’d aver that more than 95% of the work of both the House and the Senate is completed BEFORE the speeches on the floor are made. The FLOOR TIME is for public consumption. Motions to table are sometimes more consequential than a “I move the previous order” can be. That’s why there is a full time, professional parliamentarian on the podium in the House and the Senate to “tell” the presiding officer how to vote on procedural issues.

[edit on 12/7/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This is good news! It's the kind of CHANGE I'm hoping for!

The VP shouldn't be nosing into the Senate Democratic caucus. IF his vote is needed, he can discuss the issues with the entire Senate. Cheney (with Bush's approval) went way too far. His mere presence is intimidating. The Senate is the Senate. Biden will be the VP and will vote if needed. This is all about restoring checks and balances.

Woo-Hoo!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This is good news! It's the kind of CHANGE I'm hoping for!

I assume Biden agrees with this decision.

The new administration is interested in preserving our democracy.

Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin notwithstanding.

That's why we elected them.

Welcome to Washington.

new topics

top topics

join