It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power Doesn't Corrupt, Study Suggests

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkCyrus

Originally posted by truthquest

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

college students who were primed to feel powerful suggests that, at least in some cases, power tends to shield people from outside opinions, leaving them to rely more on their own insights.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Oh, so power does not corrupt, it just makes you care only about yourself and not others. Of course.

Your twisting the words. They mean that people are generally less inclined to take a bribe in a position of power unless they lack personal commitment, among other things.

I'm not so much twisting the words as offering a valid interpretation of them. The study did not go into that much detail. The study basically found that power relieves a sense of peer pressure. But the study failed to examine whether it simply changed who the "peers" were. I mean I don't consider any billionaire to be "my peer". If you throw a bunch of CEO's in a room who run equally sized companies, I'd bet that the peer pressure magically re-appears.

Just like the comment under the linked article says, look at how fat-cat CEO's get a red carpet into capital hill to beg for billions, while if you want congress to bail you out, you get flatly ignored, because well you are a nobody and as it turns out, congress doesn't care about nobodys like you and I. Hardly a factor that *reduces* corruption. In fact, I'd define that very attitude as a mild form of corruption in its own right.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

And this study would be superior to the university study that took part of a group and made them "guards" and the other half "detainees", and the "guard" group soon started abusing the "detainees"?

"Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely", is an historical fact.

Those in power, without safeguards, fill with what the ancient Greeks termed "Hubris", and Cheney, Bush, Rumsfeld, Rice et al are prime examples.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Bit late but i forgot all about finishing the post earlier;

Corruption presumes change from a prior better state and thus a state i have no personal reason to believe those who are commonly accused, or seen to be, of being corrupt by power were ever in. It does serve as a misdirection for the masses but those who are/were familiar with the persons and their records would have had ample opportunity to discover that these people just escalate the scale of their corrupt behaviour with increasing power.

When those in power in the world start letting thoroughly moral persons into their power structure i might start believing that power corrupts ( them then being confident that they can change these people to do their bidding) but until then it's to me at least abundantly clear that they don't believe power corrupts hence their choice of candidates who have always done the type of things they want to see done in the future.

This is why we should not concentrate on what people said they would do or what they claim they will do in the future but on what they have done so far. If one follows that measure you wont have to worry about 'power' corrupting as it presumes that people can be talked or 'tempted' out of their primary beliefs/sensibilities slowly or at all. Since all or most of you are familiar with just how hard it is to convince anyone that they are truly wrong about something you know how unlikely it is to change anyone's ideas about the world when they gain the power to properly protect their preconceived notions; power just allows leaders to carry out their original plans with far less protest from whatever opposition there was.

If some should insist that power does corrupt decency and virtue ( and not just make what's bad, worse) it would in my mind prove little other than the fact that those who already have power selects only the most pliable personalities/belief systems to aid them in gaining more or preserving what they have so far stolen.

Stellar

<< 1  2  3   >>

join