It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK people.. take a look at your moon!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
People in the uk, im in the west midlands... the moon is so bright, almost like the sun, it even looks like earth, it kind of looks blue in patches
it really looks like a different moon or the earth from a distance
please let me know if your in the uk and you can see

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
A few days ago (or maybe a week) I know that both Venus and Jupiter appeared very close to the moon - so that would be the 3 bright objects in the night sky grouped together. Perhaps that caught your attention.

Or they could of put a new bulb in side the moon. Ever seen the Truman show? where the production office is based in the fake moon on the wall?

edit: quick nod to Mr. Internos

[edit on 6/12/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
eh? I walked for roughly an hour last night, on the way back the moon was mainly in front of me, about 1/4 full. While it was bright, it certainly wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Didn't see anything that you have described.

I'll take another look tonight if I can be bothered going for a walk again.... sooo cold

Ireland btw

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Aye, looks beautiful. Very clear, dry, air over Britain at the moment. Going to be a chilly night later though!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
what i dont get is
the moon looks blue in patches, like earth does from far off, anyone else notice?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by prophetbillymeier
People in the uk, im in the west midlands... the moon is so bright, almost like the sun, it even looks like earth, it kind of looks blue in patches
it really looks like a different moon or the earth from a distance
please let me know if your in the uk and you can see

Heavens to Mergatroid! Has someone stolen the cheese and replaced it with an imitation moon? I'll miss the Wensleydale the most. It was bright last night with the Jupiter and Mars(Venus?) still vis. Beautiful. Now hungry.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by prophetbillymeier

The "blue patches" are no doubt the Lunar Mare, which are gray actually. Our atmosphere probably added the blue tinge to it on that night. Pollution, volcanic ash can cause this.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I also noticed the moon being exceptionally bright the last two nights!!

The sky has been very very clear today, could be that you are seeing the moon without the usual haze we have become so accustomed to!!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Just went outside now and had a look, very bright half moon and the planets visible aswell, looks gorgeous, Im in Manchester and apparently its going to get foggy later!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scaartvery bright half moon and the planets visible aswell.

Damn it, I was looking for the planets last night and couldn't see them.
I'll go for a walk shortly and take a pic... hopefully someone can point them out to me.. if it's not to cloudy, not a cloud in the sky atm over here

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
your right its a completely different planet?!! This can only mean the nefferati lizards are on the way to end all life here..run run I tell you!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

It's been alot brighter than it is tonight, wait till its full then take a stroll where theres no light pollution, you'll be suprised at how much you can actually see...I dont see any blue patches but the darker grey patches are distinctly noticeable.

Its the first clear night for ages...I can actually see the planets!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bobbyjoe

Since the Moon rises about 1 hour later every night relative to the previous night, the Moon has now moved quite a bit away from Venus and Jupiter (they were only in that "small triangle" orientaion on December 1st).

The planets are still there (and still quite striking), but they are preasently further west along the ecliptic than the Moon. In fact, in a few days time those planets will be setting by the time the Moon rises.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Hey there I don't think there's any cause for alarm.
I nearly fell over just now when I too the dog across the fields because I was so busy looking up.

I'm in North Yorkshire and we had snow a couple of days ago and some freezing conditions at night, so the sky has been particularly clear ... giving us a great view of the silvery half-moon and planets.

Next time the weather is frosty take a look up and you'll see that the moon looks the same as it does now (apart from the planet part ... and it might not be a half-moon ... oh, you get what I'm trying to say so eloquently) ! The moon always looks this way when we have clear skies during frosty weather.

Woody

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Im in Wales, i can see perfect half moon. Very bright couldnt see any blue tho........

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It looks just like it always does.

Nothing special. I am an amateur astronomer.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
just a querey - why do you specidy ` UK ` people ?

does europe africa and asia nd the americas see a different moon ?

new topics

top topics

join