It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Thing You Would Do If You Could Time Travel

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

I also found it interesting that no one else wanted to meet their founding fathers, whether U.S. like I said or their own nations founders...

Just think about what you are saying there. It would help if you knew anything about the World outside of the States but really, just a smidgen of common sense should be OK.

Other countries don't have "founding fathers". Just think why that might be.

The only one I can think of right now that comes anywhere near "founding fathers" but is very tenious, is Rome with Romulas and Remus.

If you just mean or first presidents or prime ministers, I can kind of understand but they have such little importance in the World because our countries have had Kings and Queens and Emperors and so on for thousands of years before anyone had any idea what the "USA" meant.
I suppose we have comparable things to your declaration of Independence and its ammendments, UK has the Magna Carta for instance.

your country is very young, you won a war to create it and you have names of the people who did all the work.

Our countries have been around in one way or another since Cro-Mags started exploring (yours too of course but that is something else entirely). They were formed slowly through conquest and invasion. We have names of the invaders or those who defeated them. We have the names of Kings and Leaders but we don't have a group of guys, who start everything and build the foundations that are still very much in evidence to this day.
On top of that, I think it is hard (understandably) for Americans to actually appreciate the depth of history the rest of the World has, due to USA being so young and it's history so well documented. I don't think you can get your head round so many thousands of years of none stop, extremely important historical events.

Like the old saying goes. An American thinks 100 years is a very, very long time, while a Brit thinks 100 miles is a very very long distance.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by retroviralsounds
1) Buy a $1 lottery ticket, of course knowing the results
2) Buy a $1 lottery ticket, of course knowing the results
3) Buy a $1 lottery ticket, of course knowing the results
4) Buy a $1 lottery ticket, of course knowing the results
5) Buy a $1 lottery ticket, of course knowing the results

Travel back and say f the world and its history.

I know this post is tongue in cheek but I find it quite sad that so many of you when having acces to a time machine and the whole of history (or just acess to your imagination) and the most important thing you think about is "who can I make this benefit me?"

Everything you could do and you want to place bets, invest or do whatever to make yourselves rich.

I just find that very sad.

OK, I love history. I could read about events in history all night but I know some just have no interest at all in it and cannot understand its importance. That's fair enough but surely, if you could think of ways to greedily benefit yourself and make yourself rich, you can also think of ways to benefit people who really need it and actually do something to help people/the World?

Yes, I know, I'm an idiot for taking fantasy so literally.

P.s. Did Doc Brown teach you nothing?!?

[edit on 27-12-2008 by triplesod]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by I Am Spartacus
I think it's revealing how many would go BACK in time. What's the point, it's over.

You know what I can't understand?! I went to an art gallery once by mistake, people were looking at this watercolour by Constable. It was an old country cottage, with a river passing through the garden in spring.

WHY?!? What is the point!? Why not just take a photograph of a river and look at that?
I mean!... Who would want to go all the way to Florence and stand in front of Michaelangelo's David when you can look at men standing around in a catalogue!
Or stare at Da Vinci's Last Supper when you can watch Mel Gibson's Jesus film instead! In widescrenn! With surround sound!!

Don't get me started on those idiots who go to concerts! Hello!! What do you think CD's are for?

Learning too! I mean! C'mon! What's all that about??? You'd think these people haven't got a Playstation!!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RuledBySecrecy
ooh great thread:

1. jesus - real not real? my life would be complete knowing the answer. and i forever would be very smug

I'm not sure why people keep saying this, that they want to go back to see if Jesus was real or not. There is enough evidence for us to be pretty certain that he was real, many people even believe we have discovered his and his families buriel tomb.

The question is, is Jesus a real what? A real son of God? Messiah? I don't need to waste a spin on my machine to answer that. The man was simply a good person who wanted the best for his people and did what he could to teach them how to get that both individually and as a society.

At worst Jesus was a carpenter with a few decent lines. At best he was a philosopher.
The son of God, he aint but his history is there for all to see (well, all with access to Gamer Gals nice little Christmas pressie for us).

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
1. Speak with Stanley Kubrick and learn from him.

2. See the beginning of the Universe.

3. See the end of the Universe.

4. The lottery ticket idea...
Hey, if the opportunity arises you must take it.

5. Use today's film technology to show the world in the 60s how film has progressed.

Mitch

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I would go back in time and prevent the 9-11 attacks.
(I would rat-out all the terrorist on 9-10).

If the world was at peace when I got back, I would save my remaining 4 trips..
Just in case they were needed later.

If the world wasn't at peace after 9-11 was stopped, I would study what went wrong and go back again and try to prevent the causes.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I would do one thing....

I'd go back so far that humans weren't even a forethought, and then I'd just stay and live in peace.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by GamerGal

1. Travel back to 1 minute ago and pick up that copy of me that was there 1 minute ago, and then keep repeating the same over and over until I amass an army of ME large enough to take over the world.

2. ... well .. #1 should suffice for now.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
1: Identify the babushka lady and get her film footage. (Google it)

2: Watch Jesus be crucified.

3: Be the first sucker on the scene at Roswell.

4: Relive the moments when my three children were born. It was wonderful every time.

5: Watch the death of planet Earth.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I would talk to our founding fathers as they wrote out the constitution and get them to add to the origional bill of rights.

That all persons of majority age shall have the right to vote.

That no man shall own another.

That there shall not be reason for medical termination of any one born or unborn.

That any extra constitutional act shall be considered treason

That the Federal Government of The United States shall be forever barred from creating any new laws.

I believe that would be all I could ask for.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join