It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Thing You Would Do If You Could Time Travel

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Benmarkk708

I like your music idea! Could you imagine if you came out with such hits as well, any thing by MJ, Stones, Kiss? Or imagine you came out with the Pink Floyd albums? You'd be mega wealthy! Or same with movie ideas! Take back todays technology and make Star Wars and stuff!

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GamerGal

It's nice how you'd squander the gift of time travel to selfishly help yourself to cheat at gambling and engage in some childish nationalistic posturing. Very noble of you. USA! USA! indeed. Kind of like that Simpsons episode where Bart gets Chief Wiggum's skeleton key to Springfield, and when figuring out what they should do, one of the bullies suggests they use it to key some cars. What a waste of such possibility.

Personally I'd try to meet some of the greatest minds who have left us. I'd love to hang out in Amsterdam (for obvious reasons) with Carl Sagan, and before that, centuries earlier, with Christiaan Huygens, and try to learn what made them tick. Albert Einstein, too, obviously. Not to forget Charles Babbage, Ada Lovelace, Isaac Newton, Leonardo Da Vinci, and Stephen Hawking (when he was still an active young man) just to name a few. I'd listen to what they had to say, and record it for others.

I'm also sure a quick trip to the Führerbunker to kick a certain genocidal maniac square in the balls wouldn't hurt. It wouldn't hurt me, at least, anyway.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420

It's nice how you'd squander the gift of time travel to selfishly help yourself to cheat at gambling and engage in some childish nationalistic posturing. Very noble of you. USA! USA! indeed. Kind of like that Simpsons episode where Bart gets Chief Wiggum's skeleton key to Springfield, and when figuring out what they should do, one of the bullies suggests they use it to key some cars. What a waste of such possibility.

Personally I'd try to meet some of the greatest minds who have left us. I'd love to hang out in Amsterdam (for obvious reasons) with Carl Sagan, and before that, centuries earlier, with Christiaan Huygens, and try to learn what made them tick. Albert Einstein, too, obviously. Not to forget Charles Babbage, Ada Lovelace, Isaac Newton, Leonardo Da Vinci, and Stephen Hawking (when he was still an active young man) just to name a few. I'd listen to what they had to say, and record it for others.

I'm also sure a quick trip to the Führerbunker to kick a certain genocidal maniac square in the balls wouldn't hurt. It wouldn't hurt me, at least, anyway.

someones being tooo serious lol
all this would probably be another universe following today physics...so it doesnt matter,wouldnt effect us..

oh and id make this song..mad japanese people uk.youtube.com...

or this one uk.youtube.com...

oh oh last edit! good american metal...met them...singer was too hip hop for me... uk.youtube.com... pig squeels though.
[edit on 14-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

It's a serious subject! We're in the "Science and Technology" forum, not "Pink Unicorns and Fairies" forum, after all.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by dave420

"Let's keep it simple. I mean, every one would kill Hitler, save Lincoln, expose Nixon early, so forth." What I said in the OP. Keep it calm, peaceful, and fun! Now I'll go back in time and meet you and teach you how to have a good time!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Nice idea for a thread ...

1. check out the dinosaurs to see what they were really like.
2. check out the life of Christ.
3. check out life in ancient Egypt, ancient Greece and especially ancient Rome.
4. check out the future to see when/if first contact with aliens happens.
5. check out the future to see if civilization makes it, or blows it.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I see a lot of "Check out Christ" but what if he didn't exist? You realize there were literally hundreds of "Messiahs" back then. It was the trendy thing to do, claim you're the Son of God, or Goddess. Many were killed on the cross for the same reason Jesus supposedly was. So first you'd have to go through the dozens and hundreds of people claiming to be the Son of God. Then you would have to find the right Jesus(popular name back then) who had the right people following him. Then you would have to hope he wasn't faking like the other hundreds around him.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Maybe we should have said "check out the life of Christ to see what was real and what if anything was fiction". That more accurately states what I meant in my previous post.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
ooh great thread:

1. jesus - real not real? my life would be complete knowing the answer. and i forever would be very smug

2. see muse at wembley

3. forward about 1000 years, and look at the technology, see what i could nick and bring back with me

4. forward about 50,000 years to see what the hell this planet will be like. everyone dead? NWO emergence? aliens? government regimes? immortaility etc etc basically id be a sightseer.

5. back to the 1936 olympics - mens 100m final and take a picture of hitlers face as a jesse owens beats his aryan athletes. haha take that hitler.

6. london 2012 olympics and see what an absolute A grade 24 carrot diamond encrusted cock-up it turns out to be.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
i cant believe that you americans , would not stop 9/11 with the tragic loss of
2,974 lives or pearl habor losing 2,350 lives

i would like to meet nostradamus

see how the pyramids were built

see how stonehenge was built and why

witness the moon landing

go 50 years in to the future to see if my country (new zealand ) is still as beautiful as it is now

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
What is also funny here, is the assumption that time travel also enables one to travel distances as well on earth!

Anyhow... using that assumption that I could at all times "blend in" the world I'd be at those times and places...: (in that particular order)

1. Move 50 millions of years ahead of now, to wherever humans are, if still on earth. I'd make sure to collect some nice "historical" info (which would be far off future for the present me) and maybe some cool devices that would be useful in my everyday life.

2. Move back to the dinosaurs, whichever era, and grab some nice pictures on my camera. That will later on give a few headaches to ATS debunkers who will want to prove me that those are photoshopped!

3. Go a bit further ahead to when Babylon was thriving, and try to understand a bit more of their culture and history. We're surely missing bits and pieces about some stuff. Being there a firsthand witness can be interesting...

4. Move again further in time, to just a few days ahead of now, grab the lottery winning numbers.

5. Return here and now, tell some people about it & be considered a nutcase. Play the lottery and win some nice money to ensure my future. I could then stop working and start writing good Sci-Fi using all the clues gathered around

If moving geographically is not possible, then it would be much simpler:
1. Same. Witness what the world has become in many millions ahead.
2. Get back to my village in ~1500 after the cross. See how life is back then.
3. Get to the same village in ~1920 after the cross. See how it goes then.
4. Same. Grab the lottery numbers.
5. About the same. But I wouldn't tell my neighbour that I've met her mother! (she might die of a heart attack
!)

[edit on 24-12-2008 by SpookyVince]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Um

1. Win some huge lottery

2. Find a really cool time in the future where I would like to live, identify some great investments.

3. Go back to where I have my lottery money, make some great invetments in a trust in my name, go back to the future to live the good life.

4. I would like to see what the ancient Britons were like, before christianity destoyed the culture of western Europe.

5. I don't know, search the eons for the ideal woman.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Hee hee hee....

1. Go back to the time of the council of Nicea and edit the original bible and add a coded message explaining how it is all for entertainment, control and conformity; and that the placebos (deities, afterlife etc) used to deliver the aformentioned things are NOT REAL

2. See the pyramids being built - find out how and document it with a video camera

3. Invest in Microsoft, SUN, Google; etc

4. Go to "5000 BC" and Create a "cult of science" worshipping the credo "The Scientific Method - To ask a question and perform an experiment"

5. Kidnap a few of the famous geniuses who died of stuff we can fix now, and bring them back to our time for treatment and furtherment of scientific research

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Most of mine have already been taken, I'm afraid, but for what it's worth:

1. Seek out the time and place where life began on Earth and observe it. This will be hard work and no fun (I'd have to wear protective clothing and carry my own oxygen), but it would be worth it. Of course I'd have a team of scientists led by melatonin with me. And a lab.

An extra bonus would be the good fortune to observe the ancestor of all life on Earth, rather than one of its early competitors whose line died out.

2. Go dinosaur watching in the Upper Cretaceous. The atmosphere would be much too thick for the comfort of myself and my chosen nubilia, so I'd want my own pressurized, climate-controlled antigrav runabout for us to do our dinosaur-watching from. On the back of the sleek machine it will say RANGE ROVER.

3. Observe the dawning of intelligence on the plains of Africa. I think I'd like to be alone for this. And invisible, when I wanted to be.

4. Travel (in as much comfort as the times allow) with Xerxes' expeditionary force to Greece, observe Thermopylae and Salamis, and settle down in Athens for a few decades afterwards.

5. Grow coffee in Kenya's Happy Valley during the 1920s. Pose as a Maharaja's younger son and hang out with the disreputable wife-swapping champagne-swilling coc aine-dabbling planter set. Have an affair Karen Blixen. Die in a car accident on the road back from the Club late one night, having collided with a wandering hippopotamus after guzzling too much Krug. The young lady in the passenger seat is thrown clear, but survives without serious injury and marries a marquis.

[edit on 26-12-2008 by Astyanax]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
1. research the pivotal historical moments of each century, from the time of Sumer, to 5000 years from now...

2. ...then go to the exact moments in time when each pivotal event happened to learn the difference between what actually happened and what was listed in the historical records for the same events (or non-events) a century later...

3. ...determine what psychological cause altered (if alteration is observed) the actual history

4. ...then go back 10,000 years before Sumer, to determine if there were any pre-existing advanced civs on the planet.

5. ...write it all down and plant the entire record in obvious places at various times in human history, and then observe the fate of the record in each time frame.

[edit on 26-12-2008 by undo]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
1: Travel forward in time and meet John Connor and tell him i'm guna stop skynet from being built.
2: Travel back in time and kill skynet and skynets creator before sarcissian gets the turk.
3: meet up with now john connor and cameron terminator sex goddess.
4: flaunt my shiotre
5: Get it on with female terminator cameron ;-P

hahah

ok but really.

1: Travel far into the future and see what it's like. if there are high technology advancements such as nanonic enhancement for the human body, get them going and underway. Get as much information as possible on technology, biology, cures for cancer, power generation, water generation.
2: collect all the information on sports betting, exchange rate information from, stock exchange information for as far back as possible.
3: travel back into the past, become extremely wealthy, help world hunger, fight diseases, increase the technology of the time
4: help the world with all its problems.
5: then travel back to the future and see the outcome, and what else is new and has arrisen. repeat. get a more technologicaly advanced world as fast as possible...

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
[EDIT: Whoops! Sorry, I didn't realise you had set a limit of only five. as you can see, I got a little carried away. Oh well, just consider me a time travellor with a split personality disorder, so I have given the wishes of both personalities here.]

Though I'm thirty years old now and by any definition "an adult", this is still something that I find myself daydreaming about, often. Before I go to sleep, I'll get in bed, lie back and start my little time travelling fantasies.
I am so well practiced in it now, I have created my own rules and laws, my favourite times and places and even some re-occuring characters! Pretty sad, eh?

Firstly, I wouldn't travel into the future, though I desperately want to know what waits for us, the idea kind of scares me. If I did go forward, it would definitely have to be to a time where I and my future kids have passed on. The idea of seeing my future really does terrify me! What if it's really bad? OK, you could tell me that I would then know and be able to do something about it but no, I kind of believe in fate and destiny.

I would not travel back and see my family neither, someone above said they would go and see when their parents met but I couldn't do that, I don't want to see how they used to be, I have a perfectly fine opinion of them now.

I doubt very much I would visit myself at a younger age, at a push I suppose I could go back and tell myself "you know how you believe you can just have heroin a couple of times a week, that you won't let yourself get addicted and you will be fine?... Nah, doesn't work, mate!" and I may then take my younger self ten years forward in time and show the mess my life became.

Places and times I would definitely visit though...

1. Whitechapel, East London, last Autumn to Winter 1888. I wouldn't just turn up at the murder scenes to see who is there, I would see if I could do a better job of finding the culprit with the clues he left and the benefit of my knowledge of the murders. I might get in touch with Inspector Abberline and see if we could help each other.
My time would not be completely take up with solving the murders though. I am absolutely fascinated in Victorian Britain and the Victorian period in general, so I would love to spend some time there, getting to know the culture.

2. I would go back circa 7mil years ago and see our great ancestors come out of the trees and take their first bipedal steps. Jump forward to see Cro-Magnon man and Neanderthal in Europe, possibly try and make contact but if not, study from a distance (I should say here, my rules in my fantasy are stacked heavily in my favour, not only can I turn invisibility on and off at will but I also have an invisible shield which clings to me. It doesn't affect my sense of touch, nor would it be noticed by anyone touching me as it is impossibly thin but it means that if some cocky caveman got it into his head to attack me, he would only succeed in breaking his stick, or if Henry the 8th decides it should be "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!" for me, the axe would simply bounce off my neck. On top of all that, I also have the ability to speak and understand the local language if I so desire. If I want to see the past "au naturel", I can disengage my babelfish). I would then spend time jumping forward in time, through Neolythic, stone age, bronze age, iron age etc etc, studying the culture and hopefully living with some nice families.

3. Any of the English civil wars.

4. though I'm atheist, Christianity is still a huge part of Western culture, so what kind of time traveller would I be if I didn't witness the crucifiction? I'd also learn some magic before I left, so when Jesus pulls his party tricks (water into wine and all that), I can best him by pulling a rabbit out of my hat. I just hope that after that, I can still convince them that I'm not the Messiah, I'm a very naughty boy.

5. I'm also fascinated in the Great War and I would like to walk the trenches, or follow the British soldiers as they cross no man's land, towards the German lines but though I may be physically indestructable, I doubt very much I could mentally cope with seeing thousands upon thousands of young men and boys cut down by machine gun fire or ripped apart by shrapnel.

6. I would sit and savour each syllable said by our greatest thkinkers and orators, such as Socrates, Plato, Martin L King, Gandhi, Nietzche, Churchill, Hitler (no, I by no means consider him one of our greatest minds but, as diabolical and abhorrent as his speaches were, he really was one of the most powerful public speakers, Oscar Wilde, Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, tony Danza, etc etc

7. Events in popular culture!! To see one of Shakespears plays at the Roundhouse, a small invite only affair with Beethoven in a small room playing to a small group of us, Bach playing to a congregation in a church, Nero on stage, Hendrix at Monteray, Beefheart with his real Magic Band, The Beatles at The Cavern, the Rat Keller, Shea, and on the roof at Abbey Road, Sex Pistols at the 101 club, Ramones at CBGB's, Floyd (with Syd) at UFO, watch Manchester United's pre-aircrash Busby Babes play, Ali V Forman, some of the greatest comediens of all time, Peter Cook, Ric Pryor et el... I really could spend my whole life floating around watching these genius' at the top of their game,

7. Spend time getting friendly with Leanardo Da Vinci, eventually become good friends with him and get invited to the studio of the Worlds biggest genius! Descover that Mona Lisa has that soppy smirk due to Leonardo getting frustrated at my inane questions.

8. How many mysteries could I solve?? But what if it only made life more boring? I'd stand behind LH Oswald at the book depositary. If that offered no firm answers, I could spend time in other specific places. Hang around Roswell. Find out the function of Stonehenge. Over watch the building of the pyramids (so I could come back here and make a post "See!! I told you it wasn't aliens!!"). Prove Courtney killed Kurt. Bluff Creek with Patterson. Mary Celeste. Chase Vault. Kasper Hauser etc etc etc. The majority of these threads we read on here! Any of them that are interesting I'd be able to know the truth.

9. "Into the valley of death rode the six hundred... and one"

10. Get Tutankhamon to have something really freaky in his sarcophagas, "Canarfon, you have brought tragedy and horror to the people of your isle" or something much better. Maybe even just the Dead Paqrrot Sketch, written in Hyroglyphs.

So much time, so little.. erm.. time!

Just to be able to see GJ Ceasar's Rome or spend time with Nero. See the Vikings invasion of Britain. spend time with a tony community in stone/bronze age Britain. Stand next to Wellington and Waterloo and Nelson and Trafalger. Take away the possibility for the people of the future to give Queen Liz the first one of her nicknames.

I wouldn't kill anybody though. Not even Hitler. As I've already said, I believe in destiny and fate. Hitler, unfortunately was part of this World and that cannot, or should not be changed. You never know anyway, could someone equelly or even more evil have sprung up in his stead? All those millions who died, what if one of them had a grandson who got a bit trigger happy with "the button", destroying the planet?

Anyway, time for me to go to sleep, per chance to dream (of time travelling in my Scooby Doo van, solving histories greatest crimes and mysteries)

EDIT: Finally, like an earlier poster, I would be very happy to eventually retire from my time travelling ways in swinging London. By the time 1969 came round, I'd be on the Hippy Trail to India and around the World with nothing but my acoustic guitar on my back. Having people think I'm an eccentric genius by playing the songs of the future but turning down any suggestion of touring with some mystical, hippy faux-wisdom.

[edit on 28-12-2008 by triplesod]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by brickhouse32
(you all realize that the moon is not at a fixed distance from the earth, currently is it moving away from the earth but at a certain point it will start heading back and then later collide with the earth cause some massive destruction, it is scientific theory),

Eh?!

Crazy talk man!!

Where on Earth did you find this "scientific theory"??

What could possibly make an object in space change direction apart from it's own power of it being hit/pushed by something?

There is no way at all that the moon will one day decide it's lonely and run back to us for a hug.

It will just, very very slowly, spin away from the Earth until it is outside our gravitational pull, when it will continue to circle the son and lose it#s moon status and become a planet, or planetoid.

EDIT: Actually the whole of your post is really funny. If you were anything but an American I would be convinced it was a joke post. Seeing as you are American though, I can only presume you are completely serious.
If you get yoru time machine running, make sure you send Adam lots of love from me.

[edit on 27-12-2008 by triplesod]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla

Originally posted by constantwonder

5. Kill brendan Frasier before he can unleash that P.O.S. movie Monkey Bone

its that #ing important? you have chance to stop hitler but nooooo bad movies come first.

That's right, let's take this daft but interesting, light hearted thread discussing fantasy and get upset when someone makes a silly little joke, instead of saying what you want them to say!

Dunno why you'd want to kill Hitler anyway, I think you'd get on quite well with him, you seem to have something in common.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GamerGal
Ok people, as said, skip the killing Hitler and stuff. The person who invented the time machine did that already. He(Or she) killed Hitler, saved Lincoln, stopped Nixon from having the Kennedies whacked, stopped 9/11, so forth.

Well, will you do us a favour then? Can you go back in time to when the creater of the machine was at school and show her/him that their are other pages in his/her geography and history books. That all those pages that come directly before and after the chapter "United States of America" actually have writing on them.

You never know, s/he might actually do something to help someone from outside America then!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join