It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Pays $12,000 in Support, Finds Out Child Not His

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Man Pays $12,000 in Support, Finds Out Child Not His

www.foxnews.com

The county family welfare agency then began garnishing Walter Sharpe's wages from his job at a trash-hauling company.
He served four six-month jail terms for not keeping up with support payments between 2001 and 2005, then lost his job.
Walter Sharpe and his attorney, Tabetha Tanner, claim his identity was stolen in 2002, when he met with agency officials and provided identification showing he was not the father.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Heh, this guy wasn't even the father of it, and they took his money and sent him to prison.

Not only that, but it is living with the real father and is graduating high school.

Hey, good thing the hunnies aren't interested, because no one would ever get a dime out of me, especially if it isn't mine!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
can see a rather sustantial court case - - they wrecked his life

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

This is very very common.

I have friends who have been in the same situation....only they fell in love with the child only to find out it was not thiers after a few years of child support and weekends.

Devasting and one more reason not to trust certain people.....no matter what.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Hmmm... I think I better ask for a blood test. Never can be too sure.

As has been stated, this is actually quite common. The sad part... Is woment say the guys have a problem with monogomy...

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
can see a rather sustantial court case - - they wrecked his life

That would be the case if life were fair...

It finally stopped in May 2007 when a judge reversed a finding that he was the father. But the same judge has since ruled that Sharpe is not entitled to any compensation, not even the money he was forced to pay to support the child.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This is fairly common, agreed. The bulk of the problem (at least in my area) is the Domestic Relations folks. The second article, dated 19NOV08...

nl.newsbank.com... field_advanced-0=&p_text_advanced-0=("Child%20Support")&xcal_numdocs=20&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date
&xcal_useweights=no

... Is from the local rag this past Sunday. The Department knew they were ruining this man's life. They knew they had the wrong man. "State law" prevented the man from being released of his "financial obligation" to a child that he did not sire.
Around here, if you have the "wrong plumbing", you cannot win if Domestic Relations is involved.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Now that is BS, the guy should be at least entitled to his money back.

Just seems to add insult to injury that he spent time in jail...

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
For a couple of hundred bucks, you can send in hair sample and mouth swab and have a test done.
I think that's a better option than what he went through.
The mother should be sent to prison for fraud.
And have to pay back every cent with interest.
And pay damages.Obviously she new who the real father was.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Not just ANY jail either... Dauphin County Prison. It's infamous for it's rampant corruption, awful hygeine and illness record, overcrowding, brutality from both inmates and staff, and general unpleasantness. Look it up- DCP is well known as a horrible place, even among prisons.

It's a really ridiculous thing that these stories are so common and so often not reported.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentOrangeJuice

In some states, believe it or not, DNA evidence means nothing if at first you are adjudicated as the father of a child. With Social Services and child welfare rules, they can hang you by the short hairs for years before any judge will hear your case, and even then if the judge thinks you may be a better monetary contributor than the real father they may not release you from responsibility. There are three cases right here in my state that I personaly know of that have had this happen. The dead beat thats the true father and living with the 'lady' is left alone and the poor guy that dated the girl three times is the responsible party.

Zindo

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by AgentOrangeJuice

In some states, believe it or not, DNA evidence means nothing if at first you are adjudicated as the father of a child. With Social Services and child welfare rules, they can hang you by the short hairs for years before any judge will hear your case, and even then if the judge thinks you may be a better monetary contributor than the real father they may not release you from responsibility. There are three cases right here in my state that I personaly know of that have had this happen. The dead beat thats the true father and living with the 'lady' is left alone and the poor guy that dated the girl three times is the responsible party.

Zindo

If you have got a certified document from an expert witness saying you are not the child's biological father then why should you have to pay for it?
That really doesn't make sense.
If you said to a Judge, why should I have to pay for a child that isn't mine?
What possible logical answer could he give to explain why you should?
What are they going to do next, start sending letters out to random people saying "Dear Sir, you have been nominated to pay child support for the next 18 years for someone elses child, we will start garnishing your wages next week".

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
True story. A friend of mine is from ohio. Hmoved down here to florida fifteen years ago. at some point a woman who knew him climed he was the father of her child cause she thought he was never moving back to ohio so she could get benefits since they couldn't find him. Only problem? he move back to ohio for while. It had been 7 years since she madeher claim. she recanted, they got dna evidence, everyhting. he is still paying for another man's child. I swear they do it so they don't have to pay. same friend was living with his daughter, and they where garnishing his wages for her child support to be mailed.... to his house for his girfriend. State of Ohio is corrupt as hell.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Agent,
Does anything our state and federal government does make sense to you?????? It shorr don't to meeee!!!

Its like Finn said, if they can get money out of you even if your not the parent, they will take it because it costs them to try and get a deadbeat to pay. Your the path of least resistance!
Zindo

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Oh dear! That's not the least of it and happens all the time. A friend of mine decided to take in a lodger in to his house after his divorce. The agency he was using sent a young professional woman that worked all day and went out with her friends all night. That suited him to the ground. He was getting extra cash for the alimony and child support and the lodger was always out

Several months later, the young woman started staying home after work. She then started wearing skimpy clothing and lacy nighties in the early evening. My mate told me, at the time, that he thought the lodger was putting it on a plate for him. So I said why don't you slam it. His response was that he tends not to take a dump on his front door step. I thought this very wise but I knew that ol'matey loves money more than honey and left it at that.

A few weeks later matey came running to me with the news that the lodger announced that she was two months pregnant.

Well what can you say? A coincidence or sexual fascism? My policy is always to wear a raincoat when I go out to play.

[edit on 113131p://am3106 by masonwatcher]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Don't know how it works in other states, but here, when you first have your domestic relations hearing concerning child support, they will ask you if you accept the child in question as your own, or if you dispute it. If you accept that you are the father, and later find out it's not, well then you're screwed. If you deny that you are the father, or contend that the issue is in doubt, testing will be done, and you will be held liable or not accordingly. So the best course of action, is to always have the tests done at the beginning, and you'll not have these kind of incidents later on.

As a side note, the poster who said that if you had the wrong kind of plumbing, you're apt to get screwed, is absolutely right. Men are treated shamelessly by domestic relations around here. Good luck getting any justice from them if you are male.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Ah heck, we ALL are already paying for another mans child, even women too. It's call welfare! (sickening, eh?) Deadbeat parents should be beaten, they all make me sick. It's a sick world we live in. Well, after the economy collapses, and this stinking authoritarian government goes bankrupt and falls, and everyone is out of work, breeding for a living will likely fall out of fashion. This poor persecuted guy has my sympathy, as do all you enslaved tax payers. Sick world, sick indeed. This country has a serious lack of dedicated martyrs, ha.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

I do not agree with the law's rationale, but it goes something like this.

1. Child support is for the sake of the child. (We all know the mother often benefits from it too, but the child should benefit from it at least some of the time.)

2. If you take child support away, you are punishing an innocent child.

3. It is much better to punish some adult than punish a child.

4. Therefore, we punish the adult by making him pay child support rather than punish the child.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
In most states once you sign the birth certificate, you are the legal binding father. I guess men better start asking for paternity test before signing. Bad thing is that if a guy ask his wife for a paternity test on their child and she hasn't been messing around, he could end up signing divorce papers as well. OUCH...

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

Uhh, well you sound like *snip*.

Why did you tell everyone this? Jesus...

====
Mod Edit: No sniping or insulting other Members. The post, not the Poster. Large quote snipped 'reply to' added.

[edit on 12/8/2008 by Badge01]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join