It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US preparing for troop buildup in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

US preparing for troop buildup in Afghanistan

start.verizon.net

The military is beginning a big building effort in Afghanistan to house the roughly 20,000 additional troops who are expected to begin pouring in early next year, a top military officer said Friday.

Maj. Gen. Michael Tucker, deputy commander for operations for U.S. forces in Afghanistan, told Pentagon reporters that military leaders are anticipating a "very active winter" of insurgency attacks.

And while he provided few details, he said there is a "very huge building campaign that has already begun. We're pushing dirt as we speak to prepare for the arrival of these forces."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well we figured this was going to happen after the new year..Early signs say that a good contingent of Marines and soldiers from 25th ID will be included in that number of 20,000..I only hope its the right idea and choice. This could be the buildup we are looking for and maybe this time we could actually capture HVT#1...What do you guys think about this?

start.verizon.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
IT'S GAME OVER FOR THE TALIBAN!!

Finally we are going to squat the crap out of them. This is a long overdue move that would finally bring stability to the coutry.

Now watch all them cowards to start dressing in burqas in order to flee to Pakistan, the good thing is that now with India and Pakistan on the brink again, if Pakistan move their troops from the Afghani border we are going to be able to penetrate freely in the border area and get them.

Obama has said he would go after them in Pakistan...Taliban is toast.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I hope that with the upcoming troop buildup in Afghanistan that we will finally be able to settle things there by winning a victory AND catching bin Laden. It's been a long time coming. And I think the Pakistani's will get what they deserve from India. The Pakistani's have been playing a double game with us for nearly thirty years anyway, so I won't be sorry to see them get their A**es handed to them.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wally Conley

I agree with you Wally!!..Ive spent quite sometime there and it is looking like maybe they know where HVT #1 is is, but then again I think we always knew where he was and that place is Warzistan/NW Frontier Province. I only hope that it doesnt lead to many deaths, That area is very rugged and unforgiving as is the whole country but my concern is that with this troop surge comes lack of operational experience in that terrain, The Marines will do just fine because of their extensive mountain warfare training but most of our troops are not trained to operate in the mountains and in high altitudes with the exception of maybe the 10th Mountain Division and some more higher tempo soldiers such as soldiers from the 82d and 101st Airborne as well as men from the 75th Ranger Rgt who have mountain training as part of Ranger School(2nd Phase) and of course the already in place Special Operations Forces..I just dont want to see it turn into a pissing match like it has in the past, Lets get in there and get the job done and get the hell out of there..

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by cmd18B

"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer"

This will be to position our troops in full force to stop the invasion into India soon.

Afghanistan, Turkey and Pakistan would love nothing more than to take over India.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Taliban ie alot of the civilian populace,no i dont mean those young kids living under taliban rule love the ideaology,but when you see your family and friends being blown up by americans...any gun and organization that gets you near them will do i guess.

P.s Bin laden is dead,or living the life of luxury with his daddies billions... one of the two.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Am I the only one who remembers we funded the !Taliban! to over throw the original government there???? Then turned on them when they wanted to control the whole thing????????

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by xoxo stacie
Am I the only one who remembers we funded the !Taliban! to over throw the original government there???? Then turned on them when they wanted to control the whole thing????????

mujahideen...theres a difference! or alteast the usa government would like you to think so...osama wasnt a member...either was his 2nd in command! no no!

And no..osama didnt die in in 2001...he just gained 30 pounds for his first tape released to the public...then shuffled from cave to cave with his dialysis machine for years...getting a new one every week...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well In all fairness I once heard that before OBL came to A-Stan, The Taliban which if my memory serves me correct means The Students in Pashtun wanted no parts of the United States and didnt want anything to do with us but because of some ancient pact they had to take OBL in because he was in fact on the run and was not welcomed anyplace else so the Taliban was forced to take him in. Now Dont quote that for verbatim as Im not totally sure thats exatly how it went down. Id like to see him get caught and there is no more innocent loss of life but unfortunatley I live in an imperfect society where innocent people die for assbackward politicians personal vendettas, I have spent time with Afghan villagers and was very friendly with them, They cooked for us and gave us shelter on occasion, provided us with valueable intelligence and even kept a Navy Seal safe from certain death until he was rescued so I have no issues with the Afghans nor do I want to see them killed . I still have friends there operating in A-Stan and my younger brother Im sure will be heading back there to join the fray. I just want to see this all come to an end...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

You are correct, Neither bin Laden or Zawahiri or Hekmatayar were involved, I believe OBL was still floating around here and there during the Soviet occupation and was not first spotted in A -Stan until 1986 and was kind of laughed at by the Muj because he would go to A-Stan with Musilm augmentees to fight the Soviets andlet me say this The MUJ kicked the crap out of The Soviets when the were armed properly to fight.

Many people call the United States murders and savages but then what would you call the Soviets while they were in A-Stan?..They were the epitome of savage beasts.....

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It's my opinion that Afghanistan is unwinnable. Ask the Russians, and any other foreign country that tried to settle it. It is a group of tribal nations, and will remain that way.

Just my two cents. We will see more casualties there than in Iraq.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Let's see now...
We are already in Iraq which borders the west side of Iran
Afghanistan borders the east side of Iran
Could this be the squeeze play so many have been predicting?
Then India (our ally) would be able to attack Pakistan and have our forces in Afghanistan help prevent the terrorists from fleeing across the border to Afghanistan.
Just a thought as I look at a map of the region.
Hunting for OBL is just a diversion for the real agenda.
Pretty speculative but I may be correct.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Muundoggie]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The Taliban must be stopped by all means possible.

Any orginization which threatens the multi billion dollar opium trade must be stopped.

Afghanistan now accounts for more than 93% of the world's opiates.

reported February 15, 2001 U.N. drug control officers said the Taliban religious militia has nearly wiped out opium production in Afghanistan -- once the world's largest producer -- since banning poppy cultivation last summer.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Kind of makes you think that there are two separate wars going on at the same time? A war on terror and a war on drugs..I hope that this new deployment of troops is the right call and the mission is clear..Many speculate that in the end its all about combating the drug trade first and hunting terrorists second. Tora Bora bombings had a dual purpose, Bomb Al Qaeda positions and bomb the poppy fields.....

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
Now watch all them cowards to start dressing in burqas in order to flee to Pakistan, the good thing is that now with India and Pakistan on the brink again, if Pakistan move their troops from the Afghani border we are going to be able to penetrate freely in the border area and get them.

Obama has said he would go after them in Pakistan...Taliban is toast.

Pakistan has over 100 nuke warheads,if it feels that india and US are playing the terrroist card to invade the country,Pakistan will no doubt toast the thousands of US troops and india along with it.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I think you are a little confused.

do the math with me.
since 2001 the numbers of Taliban has been falling,
2001 opium was almost wiped out in Afganistan with no troop presence.

now we have less taliban and the highest level of production in only 7 years with a greater number of troops.

the poppy fields arn't being bombed, those who would destroy the fields are being bombed.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
really unbelievable that you people still think that osama is waiting to be captured or that the us will even find him at all

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Fett Pinkus]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by cmd18B

What amazes me that I read it here on ATS that Al-Qaida in Afghanistan is funded by Bush and Cheney team through covert operations. Problem is ATS members don't take their time and read it. Here is the link of ATS pages.

www.worldreports.org...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
They are wasting time. The Taliban cannot be defeated in their own country which has consumed armies of great powers. Not to mention the sanctuary provided by Pakistan. Even with a million men. Islamic freedom fighters are unstoppable.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join