It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merry Christmas Daddy!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Cold. Wind blowing. No rain. No snow. Just cold. I was amongst many in the hallowed resting place of the brave.

My Dad always enjoyed Christmas. He always loved the smell of the freshly cut Pine Tree in the house. He was never home when my Mom, Sister, and myself decorated it. He would come home and the first thing he would do was come over and look at it with us. I remember the Christmas when I was in 4th grade. My Dad forbade me to go in the basement for a month before Christmas. Of course that then was the only thing I wanted to do. I didn't though, 'cause I made him a promise.
Christmas day came and he opened the basement door. I went flying down!
My eyes were wide. My heart was pumping! Before me was a magical scene.
He built a magical train set on 2 sheets of 4' x 8' plywood. It was HO scale. A little city. Mountains, lichen trees, lights adorned the streets. The engine was beautiful, and pulled 5 cars behind her, including a black and red caboose. I remember every detail. Dad stood there and watched as I drunk it in.
I went to hug him. He held me at arms length and said. "Just say thank you son." I did. I played with that set for hours and hours for the next months.....................

The wind was chilling. I had a small bag tucked inside my jacket.

I opened my jacket, pulled out the bag and opened it. From within the bag I pulled out a tiny Pine branch, and a small train engine. I laid them in front of his headstone.

"Hey Dad. I remember the greatest present I ever received. Now It's my turn. Oh, and here's one more thing. Here's something that L'il lombozo made for you."

My son made an ornament. It was a scribble of colors on paper, and a picture of his little face glued to it. I put this there as well.

"Merry Christmas Dad. I hope you enjoy your present as much as I enjoyed yours so many years ago."

I sat there on the grass for awhile. I took a couple of the pine needles and squashed it between my fingers. The smell of pine on my fingers was strong and I inhaled deeply. My Dad always loved that smell.

"I know you like this smell Dad. Enjoy it." I rubbed my fingers ever so gently on the base of the headstone.

"Have a Merry Christmas. I'll be seeing you soon Dad."

I got to my car and started the couple hour drive home. The smell of pine was strong on my fingers.

I do believe that a train set might be under the Christmas Tree this year for one L'il Dude.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
My Dad was famous for his great cookies. He did a video and here is a transcript:

Christmas Cookies!

Jose Cuervo Christmas Cookies

1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup or brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl,
check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality,
pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter
in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one peastoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point
it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still ok, try another
cup just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy.

Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup
of dried fruit.

Pick the frigging fruit off the floor.

Mix on the turner.

If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaters just pry
it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who geeves
a sheet. Check the Jose Cuervo. bow shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

Add one table.

Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. whatever you can
find.

Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall
over.

Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the
Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the dishdasher.

Cherry Mistmas !

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Nice story man. I wish I was as close to my dad when he was alive.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Merry Christmas Lombo, to You and Your Dad..

(Little Lombo as well of course)

The Train Set completes the circle does it not...

I doubt I could ever tell you how much I enjoy and look forward to the stories about you and your Dad. Suffice it to say, I do.

Semper

top topics

join