It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shocking Story of the LAST 'U.S. Combatant': EYE OPENING

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
What i'm posting here is quite disturbing about how men have been wrongfully accused ... which all goes back to the U.S. using these men as rag dolls for their sick agenda of pushing the blame on AMERICANS like him ... remember the guy this article is mainly about is an OFFICIAL AMERICAN CITIZEN! there are a couple of other stories about prisoners who are in the same position ... this stuff isn't only happening in Guantanamo, but also on mainland us.... please click the link to read the WHOLE article, then please post comments...

FULL STORY

In brighter times, before a fog of fear descended on the United States, and the discourse of decent men and women was coarsened by an acceptance of the use of torture as a “no-brainer,” it would have been inconceivable that an American could have been held for seven years without charge or trial on the US mainland, in a state of solitary confinement so debilitating that he is said to be suffering from “severe damage to his mental and emotional well-being, including hypersensitivity to external stimuli, manic behavior, difficulty concentrating and thinking, obsessional thinking, difficulties with impulse control, difficulty sleeping, difficulty keeping track of time, and agitation.”

And yet, this is exactly what has happened in the case of Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri. A Qatari national — and legal US resident — al-Marri had studied computer science in Peoria, Illinois in the 1980s, had graduated in 1991, and had legally returned to the United States on September 10, 2001 to pursue post-graduate studies, bringing his family — his wife and five children — with him. Three months later, on December 12, 2001, he was arrested at his home by the FBI, and taken to the maximum security Special Housing Unit at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York, where he was held in solitary confinement as a material witness in the investigation into the 9/11 attacks.

In February 2003, al-Marri was charged with credit card fraud, identity theft, making false statements to the FBI, and making a false statement on a bank application, and was moved back to a federal jail in Peoria, but on June 23, 2003, a month before he was due to stand trial, the charges were suddenly dropped when President Bush declared that he was an “enemy combatant,” who was “closely associated” with al-Qaeda, and had “engaged in conduct that constituted hostile and war-like acts, including conduct in preparation for acts of international terrorism.” Also asserting that he possessed “intelligence,” which “would aid US efforts to prevent attacks by al-Qaeda,” the President ordered al-Marri to be surrendered to the custody of the Defense Department, and transported to the Consolidated Naval Brig in Charleston, South Carolina.

Al-Marri had already been held for 18 months, and had suffered in the Metropolitan Correction Center, where, in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, Muslim immigrants — 762 of the 1,200 men in total who were rounded up for investigation — were subjected to physical and verbal abuse, held in conditions of confinement that were “unduly harsh,” and often denied basic legal rights and religious privileges, according to a 2003 report by the Justice Department. However, his ordeal began in earnest at the brig.

FULL STORY

this is another thread on Al-Marri here

As a note: this article i posted has more instances and a more in-depth story

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Baseball 101 - thank you for bringing this story to light here on ATS. The fact that I am NOT speachless says a lot. This is beyond disgusting and imo has worn the threads of justice and our constitution thin. As you aptly pointed out, there are many other cases on the mainland that would make any sensible american worried about his/her "rights". Absolute blight on the constitution.

ColoradoJens

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Baseball 101: I wanted to bump this story again because of it's mind boggling implications. Also, I find it strange on ATS that this particular orwellian aspect of our history is somewhat ignored. I have posted several threads on Guantanamo and the abuses of the constitution regarding "enemy combatants" and literally got no hits. I would have thought that the biggest attack on the constitution currently would have been of more interest to conspiracy minded folk. I guess not. Good job on posting, thanks for the story and keep em coming.

ColoradoJens

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

yes i agree, and thank you i will post any that may pop up it is very disturbing to read of these atrocities

new topics

top topics

join