It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do skeptics ever get tired of trying to disprove everything that is amazing?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Now before I get a bunch of replys from you hardcore skeptics saying, "well if it weren't for us, we would have no solid definition of what reality is!!", just stop.

Take a deep breath and think for a second before your mind goes into the "how fast can I find a website that agrees with my current view of reality and push it on other people to discredit a possibly awesome and mind opening topic?

Why is it that every time a thread comes up that challenges your definition or reality, you have to attack something that could be really mind opening to look into and explore as a possible reality.

I see this happen all the time on ATS, the most recent example being the thread on Ancient Extraterrestials.

Now i know your brains will immediately want to challenge me and attack this thread because it challenges your reality, but isn't life about learning new things and letting your mind evolve? I find its so much more fun to just let go and delve into these possible new and exciting realities.

Before the attacks come I am just asking you skeptics, you know who you are, to sit and think before just reacting with ways to disprove everything and tell me something that proves you have to cling to your reality like it is the only thing keeping you going.

There are plenty of topics on here that are outright silly and I get that there has to be some sanity and for that I appreciate skepticism. Im talking about the people who try to shoot down everything that is outside the norm.

Please Discuss.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I know what you mean. It really sucks that MOST topics, instead of watching a creative discussion unfold about the TOPIC, turn into is the topis real or not......WHO cares!

If I wanna talk about the easter bunny or the tooth fairy, we all pretty much KNOW they don't exsist......their exsistance isn't the point, I want to hear some cool tooth fairy stories, bu they never have a chance to even get started, because to many times some freaked out insecure guy goes on and on with a rude interuption about how he is SURE the tooth fairy dosen't exsist, and then stops the toothfairy story before it starts....

Frustrating as heck.....

Thet are beating a dead horse.

UNLESS the thread ASKS say "do you think such-and such is real" then let the topic GO.....just let it be a creative discussion of possibilities......some REALLY creative discussion DOES get going on highly moderated boards, BUT who wants THAT either?

[edit on 5-12-2008 by mellisamouse]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I don't have a cool tooth fairy story. Can you tell me one? Or any other cool story. I'm tired of typing my own.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight
Why is it that every time a thread comes up that challenges your definition or reality, you have to attack something that could be really mind opening to look into and explore as a possible reality.

As someone who really tries to maintain a sense of what is poo and what isn't I feel compelled to respond to your challenge...just a little.

For starters, your thread title is kinda' loaded, isn't it? A little bit on the 'still beating your wife?' style of query? Sure, some folks like being a buzz-kill, but others are really tired of those trying to pass off their opinions, wishes, and mental meanderings as fact.

This is a discussion group, and if you want a bunch of cheerleaders when you post, you ought to be up front about it. If you want something that is amazing to turn into something that is exciting, then why not put it to the test?

Thing about this site is that there is a whole bunch of actual knowledge represented among members. Often that emerges in the form of healthy skepticism. On the other hand, I have been known to opine that blank skepticism is a negative force and it behooves the nay-sayer to bring forward an equally entertaining fact-based discussion along the same vein. Otherwise, they're just being contrary.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
You're right.

We should just blindly accept every crackpot theory and fuzzy pixelated image that every random person throws up on the internet.

Shame on us for using logic and reason to approach every situation from a scientific standpoint.

What have we been thinking?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

Thanks for referring to my thread here (Im still waiting on your info on the wheat thing btw...cant wait to get some data on that).

But I must admit I actually welcome what some debunkers have specifically done to that thread because it reveals their agenda for all to see.

On in particular was caught up in more contradictions than I can count.

So its a good thing if all can see and learn.

And if a skeptic is not acting like a complete idiot but rather debunking our points? Thats a good thing too!

So either way you look at it...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
well maybe you should be posting for your own gratification instead of seeking to convert others to your view. this site is all about them having every right to shoot down any theories we can come up with. it's a perfect working example of checks and balances. why do you have a problem with that?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Im not looking for cheerleaders, just a creative discussion.

Take the ancient extraterrestrials thread for example. Numerous ancient civilizations have stories of seeing strange things in the sky and "gods" coming down in some sort of chariot, teaching them things and giving them technology. There are plenty of strange artifacts and drawings to support this amazing and history altering idea. If we can just let go of the BS that we were taught as definitive history, we could entertain some amazing ideas.

Im talking about the people who shoot bullets at this idea and say, "There is NO way this is possible, insert skeptic website here." That is not constructive and dosent help anyone.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I think it is ridiculous that someone posts information with the intention of merely presenting the information for thought and interest and people decide that they need to debunk or derail the thread with badly thought out statements, befuddling logic and misconstrued evidence to support their wild accusations, nit picking minor details or creating them; when in fact the post (in many cases) was meant to be read and enjoyed as is and not debated.

It seems some people feel it is their duty as defenders of dogmatic and religious thought, to quell all contradictory information that doesn't fit into their world view.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

If having an open mind and trying to foster creative discussion bothers you then you obviously didnt take my advice and sit and think for a moment before you posted.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

There woldn't be too much to ATS without the skeptics

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   

BUTTTTTT, if you don't believe in the tooth fairy.... WHY even click on the thread?

Why not let them have their fun?

By the way, I HAVE heard some recent news about the tooth fairy...her rates have gone up times about 10 since I was a kid!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Agreed Sky. Well said. I'm still looking through the many books I have read on the subject to find the recearch done about the wheat crops and Ill get it up as soon as I can.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I think what really gets irritating is when something can be proven false beyond a reasonable doubt and even the person who posted the info in the end agrees it was false info or dis-information, about a week later someone posts the exact same thing and it starts over from square one making de-bunkers over time get irritated and then just lash out because they are tired of disproving it and find it easier just to throw out an insult and move on.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Do believers ever get tired of following the same inane and paranoid conspiracy theories?

This isn't an attack on you OP but a defense of sorts toward the skeptics. You must understand constantly seeing the same things posted repeatedly with out any conclusive evidence drives one mad. They eventually get to the point in which they question everything that isn't backed by some form of evidence. Predictions events are a great example, how many people put their hopes into GFL only to have them crushed on Oct. 15th? While the mentally of a skeptic isn't always right it helps them process what is valid and what isn't in this sea of data we call the internet.

-Ign0RanT

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

Like in my post above......Why not just let it go and instead watch an amaizing stimulating conversation flow.

I am on other boards that tollerate NO bashing of others, and they are amaizing....actually THIS board way back when had way less bashers and it was MUCH more stimulating.

I am NOT saying I BELIEVED everything I READ......just that it was much more interesting when the topics can actually get off the ground without someone yealling " GO TO THE DOCTOR AND GET SOME HELP!" etc, etc, etc, or ^&&&%$##%, or you're THIS or THAT etc.......kinda kills all creative thought.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
People who believe in things that cannot be proved are just as evil as people who attack those theories. Use reproducible fact, not testimony or hearsay, and there will be no argument just truth.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
I think it is ridiculous that someone posts information with the intention of merely presenting the information for thought and interest and people decide that they need to debunk or derail the thread with badly thought out statements, befuddling logic and misconstrued evidence to support their wild accusations, nit picking minor details or creating them; when in fact the post was meant to be read and enjoyed as is and not debated.

It seems some people feel it is their duty as defenders of dogmatic and religious thought, to quell all contradictory information.

So, essentially the plan is that one should be able to post any kind of twaddle, and everybody should line up, clap and bark like trained seals. You don't have to be either dogmatic or religious to smell poo when it is served up...and you'd like us, instead, to park our brains at the door?

I think that's another site you have in mind.

Now with respect to the characture of a skeptic that you have painted for us...that describes a bully. Put him/her on ignore, and be prepared to defend your argument with healthy debate. Otherwise you are describing a mutual admiration society, when we ought to be 'denying ignorance'.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enigma Publius
well maybe you should be posting for your own gratification instead of seeking to convert others to your view.

But without being interupted, they could just TALK about it. they shouldn't HAVE to try and convert others, just talk with those of LIKE mind, and more times than not may even COME TO A DIFFERENT conclusion on their OWN in a much gentler way, that then has some CLOSURE to it which has hapened from reasoning and thingking as opposed to a SLAM, DON'T TALK ABOUT IT ANYMORE approach that others seem to impose at times.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mellisamouse

BUTTTTTT, if you don't believe in the tooth fairy.... WHY even click on the thread?

Why not let them have their fun?

By the way, I HAVE heard some recent news about the tooth fairy...her rates have gone up times about 10 since I was a kid!

Well, my theory is that she is now paying off in Euros, that's why.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join