It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mainstrean "christians" worship pagan Idols, including christmas trees

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   

No one knows what day Jesus Christ was born on. From the biblical description, most historians believe that his birth probably occurred in September, approximately six months after Passover. One thing they agree on is that it is very unlikely that Jesus was born in December, since the bible records shepherds tending their sheep in the fields on that night. This is quite unlikely to have happened during a cold Judean winter. So why do we celebrate Christ’s birthday as Christmas, on December the 25th?

The answer lies in the pagan origins of Christmas. In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.

In Rome, the Winter Solstice was celebrated many years before the birth of Christ. The Romans called their winter holiday Saturnalia, honoring Saturn, the God of Agriculture. In January, they observed the Kalends of January, which represented the triumph of life over death. This whole season was called Dies Natalis Invicti Solis, the Birthday of the Unconquered Sun. The festival season was marked by much merrymaking. It is in ancient Rome that the tradition of the Mummers was born. The Mummers were groups of costumed singers and dancers who traveled from house to house entertaining their neighbors. From this, the Christmas tradition of caroling was born.

In northern Europe, many other traditions that we now consider part of Christian worship were begun long before the participants had ever heard of Christ. The pagans of northern Europe celebrated the their own winter solstice, known as Yule. Yule was symbolic of the pagan Sun God, Mithras, being born, and was observed on the shortest day of the year. As the Sun God grew and matured, the days became longer and warmer. It was customary to light a candle to encourage Mithras, and the sun, to reappear next year.

Huge Yule logs were burned in honor of the sun. The word Yule itself means “wheel,” the wheel being a pagan symbol for the sun. Mistletoe was considered a sacred plant, and the custom of kissing under the mistletoe began as a fertility ritual. Hollyberries were thought to be a food of the gods.

www.essortment.com...

As so many go nuts this time of year with all the "so called" christmas cheer, understand the true roots of the "holiday spirit" you hold so dear...

Here is more about the paganistic days to come...

www.religioustolerance.org...

media.pcog.org...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Yes, quite true, unfortunately "christians" would rather adhere to the traditions of men, rather than to do (not just believe) the truth.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
A vast majority of christian beliefs are blatantly stolen from other religions. The idea was that it would make it easier to convert people if they didnt have to give up all of their beliefs.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

You know, I used to argue against those who equated Jesus' birthday with December 25th. Now I'm not entirely sure that date is incorrect.

THIS is the first video in a seven part series. It explains where I'm coming from.

I'm not going to argue the fact many of our modern day Christmas traditions don't have pagan origins because they most certainly do. However, the above series is fascinating. Although it mostly deals with the Star of Bethlehem, it goes into many other NASA-verified events around the Birth of Jesus in first century A.D. Our modern day December 25th being one of them.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I don't see how it really matters what exact day he was born on, though, to the Chrisitan it would just be the fact that he came, right?

OP:
Most of the holidays do have some pagan origins, and I don't care about that, but it does bother me that many Christians systematically deny that.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
I don't see how it really matters what exact day he was born on, though, to the Chrisitan it would just be the fact that he came, right?

In my opinion, that would be the main issue.

But I have to say, it was surprising to see astronomical evidence behind the December 25th date.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Originally posted by asmeone2

In my opinion, that would be the main issue.

But I have to say, it was surprising to see astronomical evidence behind the December 25th date.

I would imagine so. Even if one takes the "man wrote the bible" view, it would make sense, to think that there was a significant astronomical event, that would make it into the writings.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
In America and many part of the world, Christmas holidays means profits and sales.

When I was growing up back home in my littler island we didn't have Christmas trees neither we have a Santa coming out of Chimney as we didn't have any.

The Christmas parade was a procession sponsored by the Catholic church showing the birth and life of Jesus nothing else.

This was until the 70s, now my littler Island has been run over by fundamentalist the Catholic church lost control during the late 80s.

But one other thing happen, now we have artificial Christmas trees, fake snow and Santa.

I wonder.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The "star" that the magi saw was not a star in the heavens, it was an angel.

They met an angel in the east, he communicated the information about Christ's birth to them (how else would they know this information otherwise?).

They traveled. The journey took about two years (that is why Herod killed all 2 year olds and under).

Matthew 2:2
and asked, "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him."
(they met with the angel)

Matthew 2:7
Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared.
(the journey took about two years)

Matthew 2:16Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men. ...

Matthew 2:9
...and the star they had seen in the east went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was.
(the angel led them to Jerusalem)

Matthew 2:11And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh.
(they presented gifts at his HOUSE not manger, this is 2 years after he was born)

[edit on 5-12-2008 by SirPaulMuaddib_2]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Okay, not to be rude, but posting propaganda out of the bible proves nothing. Try using some facts.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirPaulMuaddib_2
The "star" that the magi saw was not a star in the heavens, it was an angel.

They met an angel in the east, he communicated the information about Christ's birth to them (how else would they know this information otherwise?).

I don't feel you can state that with certainty. There is simply too much to show it was an astronomical event and not an angelic encounter (which the shepherds experienced).

Also, to answer your question how else they would have had the information: Many believe the visiting Magi were distant successors of Daniel (author of the OT book of Daniel) who was a Babylonian captive. Considering Daniel prophesied the coming Messiah to the very year (See Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy) and considering he was possibly associated with the Eastern magi), it is possible He told them what to look for and when to look for it.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
A vast majority of christian beliefs are blatantly stolen from other religions. The idea was that it would make it easier to convert people if they didnt have to give up all of their beliefs.

Yes I dont know how true it is but I read that the early christian church also turned the Pagan New years eve (or some such festival) into
'April fools day' just to mock the religion they were trying to supplant.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a more expanded explanation, showing that the "star" was an angel, and not some heavenly star

The Wise Men followed this star from an eastern kingdom to Jerusalem (Matthew 2:1-2). Only an angel could direct them to a specific city. A heavenly star or planetary conjunction could not designate a single nation, much less an individual city. When the Wise Men met King Herod, Herod “inquired diligently” about when the Magi first saw this star. If the star were a heavenly object, Herod’s own astrologers would have known exactly when the star appeared. The reason Herod was so eager to find out when the Wise Men saw their mysterious star was because his own astrologers had not seen it! The Wise Men rejoiced when the “star” reappeared to them and led them to a specific “house” in which they found the young child named Jesus. This “star” even stood over the young Jesus inside the house (Matthew 2:9). No heavenly object could stand over a single child inside a specific house! However, an angel, seen only by the Wise Men, could do this.

angelswaiting.wordpress.com... ethlehem-an-angel/

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Once again, you are stating your faith as fact. That is empty.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Nothing is empty in faith. It doesn't matter one wit whether you think Sunday is special, or Saturday, what food you eat, aside from some diets being more healthy and the ethics of killing to eat, nor does it matter whether you put up a Christmas tree, they even do that in Japan. None of this matters.

Its people who literally take ancient documents, that were mainly political, and act against other people by harming, killing, controlling or depriving them of rights, when medical science vindicates their rights, these are the things that matter in both Christianity and Muslim faiths, or anyone that thinks the warmongling depopulating God of ancient times is God. This doesn't stop someone from believing in Jesus, or that there were jewels buried in religious scripts that are beautiful.

Some people, like myself, were led by Spirit to only pick and chose certain things, but led to Jesus, and their Church, their Scripture is the world, its people, and a journey inward. You can call God a purple pumpkin in the sky and not offend the real God, if you are not in service to self, but to others! We're about to put up our tree soon, because its beautiful and brings joy to our hearts, especially the children. God loves joy!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
You misunderstand. Using faith as an argument on this subject is empty, as we are not arguing whether god exists or not. We are discussing the use of pagan beliefs in christianity. I was in no way saying that faith in general is empty(although, honestly, I do believe that).

You can throw you faith out there all you want. It will not deter from fact.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It doesn't matter. If a tradition brings joy and brings families together, then its good. Especially needed in bleak winter months. Who really cares about things like that. The most important thing, the trick in todays world, is to pull off this wonderful holiday that benefits non-believers all over the world as well, without spending a fortune and benefitting the wealthy. Which is why I make a big deal over my children's birthday. I honor, and love and reverence their special days, and show how much they are appreciated. Christmas is for kids, too, but its not about a pile of presents.

On a side note, if these things were actually created to "paganize" the believers as I've read in so many threads, to make them sinners some how in an elite, hidden groups eyes. Nothing of the sort is true. Theres only one real value in life, service to others. When people take the cards their dealt, and turn it into something beautiful for their families, that shows their heart. When nefarious individuals dig a pit for others, only they fall into it! We'll just keep tranforming their traps into joys and blessings! And the real God smiles on us for this ability.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You really need to do your homework if you think that the theivery of pagan tradition didnt have evrything to do with the erradication of the sect.

Thats all I am going to say on that.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I really suggest watching the above video series. But to respond to a few things in the quoted article:

The Wise Men followed this star from an eastern kingdom to Jerusalem (Matthew 2:1-2). Only an angel could direct them to a specific city. A heavenly star or planetary conjunction could not designate a single nation, much less an individual city.

But this totally ignores the Messianic prophecies denoting Bethlehem. It is highly probable Daniel was aware of this prophecy. The video also shows the movement of the 'star of Bethlehem' discovered by NASA using technology based off on Johannes Kepler's discovery.

The Wise Men rejoiced when the “star” reappeared to them and led them to a specific “house” in which they found the young child named Jesus. This “star” even stood over the young Jesus inside the house (Matthew 2:9). No heavenly object could stand over a single child inside a specific house!

This, however, is also part of the context and it helps confirm what I believe about Daniel and the Messianic prophecies:

When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him. When he had called together all the people's chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Christ was to be born. "In Bethlehem in Judea," they replied, "for this is what the prophet has written:
'But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for out of you will come a ruler who will be the shepherd of my people Israel.'"

Followed directly by:

Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. He sent them to Bethlehem and said, "Go and make a careful search for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him."

The prophecy pinpointing Bethlehem was well known at the time.

Just my two cents but the video sheds scientific light on the phenomenon and is an incredible testimony to Christianity since 'The Heavens declare the glory of God.'

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Well said Mystiq. I am a Christian, and although I have Jesus in my heart at this time of year, I like to believe I celebrate His birth all year long by helping those that I can, when it comes to my attention and I am able to help. There are many good things about this time of year, people giving to each other, big friendly get-togethers, etc. Some of my best childhood memories are of Christmas. I don't think God is going to punish us if we got the date wrong, and I don't think He gives a hoot if we enjoy trees, both real or fake, and enjoy decorating them, because like you said it is all about the spirit.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join