It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans 80,000 years older than previously thought?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Humans 80,000 years older than previously thought?

news.nationalgeographic.com

Modern humans may have evolved more than 80,000 years earlier than previously thought, according to a new study of sophisticated stone tools found in Ethiopia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Hehe, why do i have a feeling that this number will keep getting bigger and we as humans will keep getting older and older. Its strange, i somewhat believe that advanced civilizations have existed on Earth before but this whole 'caveman crap' that weve been fed turns me off... anyway.

More from source:

In many parts of the world, archaeologists see a leap around 300,000 years ago in Stone Age technology from the large and crude hand-axes and picks of the so-called Acheulean period to the more delicate and diverse points and blades of the Middle Stone Age.

news.nationalgeographic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
so does these mean intelligent man is also 80 thousand years further back than the 3 thousand they say now.. this opens up alot of links between early man and the book fingerprints of the gods...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Only 80?Wow.
I was reading articles 2 years ago where they found a body that was around 2.5 million years old.
And of course the God people said it wasn't possible, they must have used carbon dating, which can be wrong.
But no, they used 8 different methods of dating.
And im sure one of those was not, casual dating.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
so does these mean intelligent man is also 80 thousand years further back than the 3 thousand they say now.. this opens up alot of links between early man and the book fingerprints of the gods...

Erm I do believe intelligent man has been around A LOT longer than 3000 years.

If I remember correctly the oldest 'human' has been dated to about 80,000 in Australia.

So another 80,000 years on top of that, 160,000 years, Impressive.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
so we are 80k more advanced and we are only as smart as we are.?
i guess 80k years don't mean much for the grey matter.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by thing fish
so we are 80k more advanced and we are only as smart as we are.?
i guess 80k years don't mean much for the grey matter.

There are a couple reasons for this. Life expectancy was MUCH lower back then. Neanderthal's were only expected to live 20 years. 20 years without the invention of writing, with small, disconnected tribes running around, does leave much for technological improvement. Life back then was concerned with one thing, survival, not plasma tv's, blackholes and HAARP.

I think humanity as come a long way if you really sit down and think about all that is involved and needed to be discovered in order for us to have everything that we see today. From harnessing the power of fire with sticks and stones, to the bic in your pocket requires so much technology. There's the creation of plastic, the butane that fuels it, the ability to mold and cast very small parts and put them together, the ability to fill the lighter with compressed gas and not have it blow up in your face. I know there is much more technology involved in just this one thing than I have an understanding of, and now multiply this by millions of things we have today that were not around then, and the trillions of things that had to be discovered to make them a reality.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

i guess it is all in individual perception. i agree that we are pretty advanced and agree on tech even on simple things like a lighter. i also think humans are pretty dumb and have not come that far at all. i firmly believe that there is life out there far, far more advanced than we are.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

i firmly believe that there is life out there far, far more advanced than we are.

You will get no arguments from me on that statement.

Not a one liner.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Quite honestly if we can't even agree on simple history of who what when and where over the past 500 years I doubt we will know the complete truth in the next 20,000 years or if ever for that fact. That is until a time machine becomes reality anyways and can actually travel back to see for themselves how long we evolved for.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

How are they dating these items is what I would like to know. No respectable Scientist accepts Carbon 14 Dating and that has to do with the saturation rate of C14. Potassium Argon dating is even more messed up than C14 so I doubt they would use it either. C14 has dated living snails at 250,000 years old, it has also dated different parts of the same Mammoth at vastly different ages. For instance the leg is 2,000,000 years old and the backbone is 350,000 according to some Cabon14 dating. It is a well known fact that evolutionary thinking scientist throw out any dates that they don't accept and publish those that they do. Oft times this is after several dating attempts with vast differences in the dates in each test.

I also wonder how they can date stone tools by any other standard as there are still this day cultures and civilizations that still use Stone tools, are they 80,000 years old?

Evolution is DEAD as a theory and has been disproven innumerable times and it makes me wonder why they still use the word at all. While I do agree that man has always asked WHY ARE WE HERE and WHAT ARE WE HERE FOR the answer is not in some nonsensical non-scientific theory like Darwin's or anything stemming from it. I believe that this theory takes BELIEF, and a nonsensical one at that, to believe in when one considers all the evidence.

Now evolution is dead so how did we get here? I can only think of wo other possibilities which unfortunately also can not be proven but to date have not been disproven like evolution has.

1. Biblical Creation story is true and there is an all knowing all powerful God, but again this is a belief and can not be proven. But I think this one has the most evidence today for it.

2. Aliens seeded the planet with life, although I don't personally believe this one it has not been disproven by any means and in fact it appears that the Alien theories are getting more and more plentiful. Even some of the world's most preeminent scientists have moved over to this Intelligent Design theory.

Thanks for the post OP it's an interesting find but I have to agree with a few others ideas in that there is too much evidence that ancient man had knowledge we don't even have today as modern man, so called. In my opinion only one of the two options above can explain our being here and all the evidence we find of ancient civilizations particularly the advanced ancient civilizations. Now both of these are again, beliefs but as I stated they haven't been proven or disproven t this point and I believe that reasonable thinking people must look to one of these answers when seeking to know about the Origins of Life or how long we have been here...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by thing fish
reply to post by ninthaxis

i guess it is all in individual perception. i agree that we are pretty advanced and agree on tech even on simple things like a lighter. i also think humans are pretty dumb and have not come that far at all. i firmly believe that there is life out there far, far more advanced than we are.
ReAD pLATO AND other more aNCIENT WORKS, it is because great disasters that happen on the earth. We then have to start all over, even though it is right in front of everyones face, they just dont see it. It seems to me on some levels we just are not very smart at all.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by seek4 truth]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

If you guys would actually read the article instead of just the headline it tells you in the second paragraph.

But it was not until this year that new dating techniques revealed the tools to be far older than the oldest known Homo sapien bones, which are around 195,000 years old.
(bold emphasis added)

So this would mean that the human species would be about 275,000 years old. Very old indeed!

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
reply to post by serbsta

Evolution is DEAD

lol....what? What about microevolution that is observable in bacteria over the course of days or weeks? Does that not provide some evidence for evolution?

[edit on 12/5/2008 by InterestedObserver]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The technology might be improving but the grey matter hasnt changed much if at all.
Modern mans social life and interest haven't changed much from lets say ancient Romans.

Also alot of advanced races have come an gone,an extra 80,000 years just leaves more room for races equal to or better than our own to have come and gone.

Thanks OP its interesting to think about.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by SvenTheBerserK]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
reply to post by serbsta

I also wonder how they can date stone tools by any other standard as there are still this day cultures and civilizations that still use Stone tools, are they 80,000 years old?

If the tools were buried they could date them based on the layers of soil,sediment ect.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by InterestedObserver

My bad!

top topics

join