It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do threads have to be elaborate to be successful?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I apologise to anyone who is looking for a conspiracy here.

I was just wondering what ATSers thought about threads that were interesting enough to continue on to quite large numbers of replies. Is this the measure of a successful thread or is it something else like intellectual banter, or just wanting to win a point of view or something else.

Do we tend to visit threads that have moved on from say an incidental level to a mature level? And what would these be in your view?

Do you home in or avoid a thread based on the title?

Are you one that finds interest in all topics or are you focused on a particular topic?

What do you think makes a successful thread?

I kinda hope there will be more people than just me interested in comments; Results may lead to even better threads, who knows the owners may indeed be interested also.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
In my experience, what makes a good thread is an insightful, thought provoking, well written opening which gains a measure of response and which then evolves into something that encompasses all aspects of the subject matter, and is devoid of drama and slanging matches.

Like many others, my primary purpose here is to gain and share knowledge, and anything which furthers this is of interest to me.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

If one is an aspiring writer or else an avowed amateur writer,
then the budski reply would be applicable

If one has a passion about a event or subject or topic,
then producing anything but jibberish will be the start of one's journey...
grading a thread might work for some, but not myself.

it is very rare that a thread has evolved to higher levels...
they generally spend themselves out in 2 pages,
afterwards the replies become repititious,
i'm sure you've seen it.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

Welcome to ATS!

Good questions. By them, I can tell you will be alright with however you approach your writings.

Please be sure to digest the terms & conditions, first; I've seen the moderators regulate very carefully. In short, try to have civility & decorum, and maybe politeness, as well, and you'll assure yourself a good standing, without them warning you, or banning you.

I know what you mean, about striving to have a "successful" thread... I'm still trying!!! LOL

But success to me, is when I inject a little humor into a thread where members have heated, almost irritated arguments going on, and it muses me! For yourself, if points and responses constitue success, then I'd suggest sticking with topics of great interest to others, as well as you.

This board is vast. VAST. I mean HUGE! I've been here for a year now, and I've only scratched the surface! Amateur at computers, I'm continuing to learn about this cyber-world existence, which fascinates me! (Sorta like my first drag-race or somethin')!

I would say, ad links to information you are posting, when possible. (Shows credibility for the point you're making), and makes you much "less ignorant"...you-know, the motto of this site, 'Deny Ignorance' and all...

Anywho, I'm FAR from being a prospective mentor, but will gladly help a fellow member, if I can!

Blog on!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone so far – appreciate your thoughts.

I guess it wouldn’t be fair to avoid my thoughts so far. I know I’m a newbie as such but we all start somewhere. A newbie on ATS / BTS I may be but I am actually and oldie so to speak. I have stayed the course on ATS so far because of people like you. Civility says a lot if indeed you can find a way to express it in words. I must confess I’ve had a few responses that don't become ATS users; nevertheless I’ve resisted the obvious so far – just.

I can assure you my thread isn’t from a selfish point of view. I take all your points on board and I thought others could learn from your experience.

So far excellent, would like more of your comments.
Cheers

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo

A thread that has substance will be successful... though silly threads can get many pages when its a slow news day and we get bored

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Honestly, what is accepted as a "thoughtful" thread by some may very well be rejected by others as "junk" I will attest to the fact that not every member on ATS is by nature eloquent and that as such detours many from even so much as clicking on a post that the OP has put much thought into. While it occurs to me that membership here at ATS depends heavily on whatever topics currently grace our existance, we never will truly appreciate the subtle nuances expressed by posters in that the information "they" thought relevant should be taken in as expressed. I find that this community is guided by a "skeptics" demoninator in that one must provide rock solid proof to attest to any claims made or be subject to extreme scrutinization into every little nook and cranny contained their in. Spelling, being a subject that I have trouble with makes for a good starting point for attack ie "why don't you use spell check" before posting" Well was Einstein a spelling bee champ? I don't think so but yet and still his theory's are widely accepted as fact. The posability that one's post reflects "their" opinion or even fact may be torn apart by fellow ATS'ers because of simple gramatical errors as you will notice frequently in the very post you now read. Never in a simple conversation does one notice every flaw in another person's dialogue but in regardes to a forum like this it is magnified. In my opinion, the answer to your question is no and more so that opinion resides in the mind of the reader, as they will undoubtedly "judge a book by it's cover" simply by the words you choose to headline your post. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I have come across several threads that I believe are gold, however I do not represent a fraction of the majority of the reader's here(posters for that matter) One has to remember that there is a small percent of ATS members that will read every new thread yet will never post even so much as a reply. Those members will most liklely reserve their contributions to either agreeing or disagreeing with little or no substancial evidence to back their claims.I respect all opinions as presented no matter how outlandish they may seem because this collaboritive effort to "deny ignorance" would never have progressed to the point it is without the effort of all concerned great and small.These are my thoughts on the matter so to all the "spelling nazi"s " as well as the grammer "mousilinis" go ahead and pick apart this post but don't forget to leave your D-ego at the door because nobody administered an entry exam to you as part of your ATS membership as such you should not be so critical of others in their effort to "deny ignorance"
www.abovetopsecret.com...
[edit on 6-12-2008 by alyosha1981]

[edit on 6-12-2008 by alyosha1981]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The more insane your story is the more likely you are to get flags and replies. That is the simple truth.

Also, it seems if you post a news story about something a crooked cop did you will instantly get replies.

Don't forget reptilian beam ships. I bet if you could work out a story about the NWO, reptilians and crooked cops you would have the thread of the year.

Work in some time travel and climate change just to be safe.

On the serious side, research shows. If someone has a theory and they can provide good proof I will take into consideration what that person has to say. If the same story is told in ALL CAPS WITH BAD "GRAMMER" I will most likely pass.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Also, it seems if you post a news story about something a crooked cop did you will instantly get replies.
Don't forget reptilian beam ships. I bet if you could work out a story about the NWO, reptilians and crooked cops you would have the thread of the year.
Work in some time travel and climate change just to be safe.

HEY Not a bad idea
It's been pretty boring around here lately. I bet I could whip up a good yarn or two to liven things up for the Holidays

Maybe toss in NASA's raging dust storms on the Moon and proof that Santa exists

Edit to add...

Shameless self promotion to see if your theory is correct...

PROOF That Santa Claus is REAL

PS I left out the raging lunar dust storms

[edit on 7-12-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
For me, and I bet for a lot of others, successful threads are very very hard to make. People get good at them, and there is almost an 'art' to it

But, what shows it to me, is when I see a thread that someone spent meaningful time on it, even if I disagree, I like them and the the time they put into it, it shows dedication. Also having things such as correct punctuation, good grammar, and a well-organized thread keep people looking at it and thus creating a well-read successful thread.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Yes, it is an art. I have done some quality threads that just died and then I have posted garbage and it took off???????????? Go Figure?

I guess it depends on what time and the mood of the ATS mass!

[edit on 12/7/08 by mel1962]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
It’s been a while since I visited this topic

Mel1962; Yes, it is an art. I have done some quality threads that just died and then I have posted garbage and it took off???????????? Go Figure?

Mel; At that time I perhaps didn’t appreciate your statement. But I do now.

I am amazed at some questions that really shouldn’t go further than a few replies but in fact take off into pages of posts.

There are some great threads IMO with every chance for a great discussion and go nowhere. Its perhaps all in the timing.

I’m down under and most of the world is asleep when I post but before the masses wake up my thread has slipped down the pile – timing is everything, well almost.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Don't post anything factual or true because then your thread will be ignored by most. If you want a lot of replies then pick a topic that is divisive and polarizing.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I'm going to share a secret with you my friend. The secret to making successful threads here at ATS.

Are you ready?

Don't worry about making successful threads.

That's it. That's all there is to it.

So many members here try too hard to come up with that perfect thread that will garner thousands of responses and ignite ferocious discussion. Most often their threads don't reach that success, and it puts the members off so much that they often don't return, or simply give up trying to contribute.

The key is simply to create threads on things that interest you, or things you have a good deal of knowledge about. Try not to worry about sparking discussion, and just sit back and see what happens.

If you don't' get any responses, or get negative ones, just move on.

You'll also find that topics here at ATS tend to by very cyclical. If nobody is in the mood to discuss your topic right now, that doesn't mean that they won't be in a month or two.

Just keep at it.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I always find the best threads are the one's that try to find answers..
I find if someone gives all the info and a conclusion in the first post then it either ends up a slanging match or dies within a page or 2.

I was a lurker for years and only used to post under ANON. Now I'm a member and like to add my 2p's worth on a subject I don't understand or something I have a good knowledge of.

My favorite thread has to be:-
What's going on at Yellowstone

because I have learnt so much from it and the posters on there have really dug in and found some amazing info, we even have a dedicated web page of seismographs thanks to one poster.
This is now 404 pages long... It's an impressive thread..

We may not be seeing the "BigOne" but we sure know what to look for now.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
IMO, a successful thread is one which moves an audience. Not necessarily on the amount of stars, flags or replies a thread gets. Although it is nice to see them but many unregistered users view threads here on ATS and thus cannot star and flag. I also think it is possible that some viewers are afraid of posting, especially on those which could be considered controversial or "watched" by big brother. (Hey this is a conspiracy website.)

I believe one should always state the following at all times when possible.
#1 Facts - include sources for supporting documentation
#2 Your interpretation and opinion regarding the subject matter.

Make sure you clearly separate your ideas or opinions from the source of your content by use of external quotes. For more information on how to use external quotes refer to this thread here.

Praktis guud grammer bi youzing a spelsheck.

Before you create a thread, make sure there is not a thread which already exists. Redundant and duplicate threads take up space on the ATS servers and bogs down a users view when they see numerous threads in a row when we view a top ten in "My ATS" or 50 most "recent posts" views.

Before clicking "Post" or "Post reply" use the "Preview Post" and review your post to minimize mistakes and edit when necessary. Check your links to make sure they work. I have posted threads where the links did not work. This also can make or break an effective post if the source link is important.

Subject matter is what you feel others need to know or be informed about. Do not worry is thousands of others do not star and flag your thread if they do not seem enthused about a thread you start you feel compelling.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo
Do we tend to visit threads that have moved on from say an incidental level to a mature level? And what would these be in your view?

Well I can only speak for myself of course . I tend to give threads whose author opinions that I have a lot of respect for or threads those members have posted in .

Do you home in or avoid a thread based on the title?

I avoid threads based on the quality of the discussions at hand .

Are you one that finds interest in all topics or are you focused on a particular topic?

Generally I stick to political topics and current events . Although I have been known to post my thoughts on the War on Terror .

Critical analysis which involves rational and logical thinking . Also the mods leave the thread alone when sub topics that would be considered off topic are discussed. Here is a case in point .

[edit on 27-1-2009 by xpert11]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Thanks everyone, its appreciated and great to see some constructive input. I do hope others get benefit from your replies also.

If you post I will read many thanks

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I see that you're getting great feedback here, MJ2.

Just came back to let you know about a thread of mine that took off, big-time; and a couple days later, got pulled by the mods...

The title from the source was something along the lines of: "Pleasures of gay sex to be taught to children".......

In my own opinion, I was personally revolted, and sort of expected many others to be, as well. Oh, was I wrong! I got attacked quite severely by lots of members! 378 responses, some pro; some con; a real wildfire started with that one! I didn't know how many truly great members on ATS are pro-gay. (or gay).

It accidently and inadvertantly showed some real ignorance on my part.
Swore I'd never do it again.

It humbled me for a while, ya know? (It didn't change my opinion; I just won't make such disapproving remarks so quickly next time, without feeling the waters first a little). A lesson learned.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FRIGHTENER

Thanks for your input although I’m aware of how fast a fire can start. A little spirit is okay IMO although I try my best to be tactful for the most part even if it doesn’t sound my exact opinion. There are truly some great posters here on ATS with great comments – they are easy to spot.
Thanks again

top topics

<<   2 >>

join