It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call for filter system such as YouTube

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Hey guys, anyone that frequents ATS knows that sometimes thumbing through a 10 page (or much more) thread to find the good posts can be difficult.

So what I am wondering, is how come ATS doesn't implement a system like YouTube where you can filter comments by 'thumbs up/down', or neutral with no votes.

You could keep the star system as it is, and you could set your filter based on how many stars it has.

Also, if we could have a feature to somehow 'anti-star' a post, as in a off-topic or inappropriate post, these could be filtered out using the neutral star filter.

That way the next time your approached by a 30 page-long thread and can't possibly read through the entire thing, select posts only with stars and the 30 page thread could be condensed to a fraction of that, while the reader gets to enjoy the more quality posts of the thread while ignoring those that aren't worth reading.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by king9072]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by king9072

select posts only with stars and the 30 page thread could be condensed to a fraction of that, while the reader gets to enjoy the more quality posts of the thread while ignoring those that aren't worth reading.

Ay! If this system gets implemented, I'll become even more invisible than I am today, as most of my posts have no stars. Ok, I guess no one will miss much. Anyway, the current systems with flags and stars have no "anti" function. Stars and flags can't go negative, but only added to. If there was an option to cause a negative effect on posts/threads, "gangs" could anti-flag and anti-star certain "enemies" for personal reasons, and not for the validity or the quality of the posts. Not good, imo. I understand the desire to anti-flag or anti-star certain threads/posts. But if we did something like that, I believe there will be more bad than good as a result. My 2 cents

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
i don't trust youtube anymore.
personally witnessed how Alex Jones video
counters stopped working and conveniently
ignored hundreds of hits.

youtube is becoming an MM tool.

if anything, ATS should come up with something
more solid, and fair. incorruptable - by definition.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I agree. ATS should create its own distinctive functions to be Above The Stock....not become the stock.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Common wisdom has been that a negative descriptor to a post or thread would be too easily abused. I might not agree, but it's not my decision to make.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

select posts only with stars and the 30 page thread could be condensed to a fraction of that, while the reader gets to enjoy the more quality posts of the thread while ignoring those that aren't worth reading.

Ay! If this system gets implemented, I'll become even more invisible than I am today, as most of my posts have no stars. Ok, I guess no one will miss much. Anyway, the current systems with flags and stars have no "anti" function. Stars and flags can't go negative, but only added to. If there was an option to cause a negative effect on posts/threads, "gangs" could anti-flag and anti-star certain "enemies" for personal reasons, and not for the validity or the quality of the posts. Not good, imo. I understand the desire to anti-flag or anti-star certain threads/posts. But if we did something like that, I believe there will be more bad than good as a result. My 2 cents

Yah you're so right, and I have seen the effects of what that can do. But even without the 'anti' feature, you should be able to set it to ignore all posts with no stars, cause in a 20+ page thread there are sooooooooooo many posts that its impossible to keep up. And I feel I personally miss out on many good threads, simply because they are so long and cant keep track. If it were only possible to filter out most posts so you can read the great content, that would be brilliant.

I think you clever folks at the top of the ATS pyramid could muster somethin up for us poor peasant folk.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Isn't this called censorship? Who would you censor next, everyone that doesn't agree with you? How about people that can't spell? Or two finger typist? NO CENSORSHIP ON ATS!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shystargazer
Isn't this called censorship?

censorship? i believe the OP, is talking about a sorting feature for the starring system. so you could sort posts by stars, or you could sort by no stars....etc. etc....

i think it is a good idea. at least that way we could have the option to use it, or leave it as is.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by pureevil81

Originally posted by Shystargazer
Isn't this called censorship?

censorship? i believe the OP, is talking about a sorting feature for the starring system. so you could sort posts by stars, or you could sort by no stars....etc. etc....

i think it is a good idea. at least that way we could have the option to use it, or leave it as is.

Yah exactly, its take it or leave it. It is in no form censorship, just a way to spend less time scrolling through pointless posts.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by king9072]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
My apologies! I read things wrong. My bad!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
But what about at least an advanced search with other things?
Like date etc?Refined search.
Results per page, containing and not containing certain words?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
aye to the first, nay to the second.

Sorting by star count would be nice for major threads.

I would also really appreciate a "Find my contribution to this thread" type button, which can drag up all the posts made by me to a certain long thread that I contributed to a long time ago (and is therefore out of the 150 post list on the profile page).

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
aye to the first, nay to the second.

Sorting by star count would be nice for major threads.

I would also really appreciate a "Find my contribution to this thread" type button, which can drag up all the posts made by me to a certain long thread that I contributed to a long time ago (and is therefore out of the 150 post list on the profile page).

Wow that just gave me an idea to expand to yours. A "My contribution" button so you see the main post, your contribution, and all people who replied or quoted you would be listed in this custom thread, after reading all of that you can reply, or read the thread in full. Or sort by stars.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

"gangs" could anti-flag and anti-star certain "enemies" for personal reasons, and not for the validity or the quality of the posts.

i honestly believe that ` gangs ` are already star and flagging threads / posts just because of who wrote it - or political / religious beliefs

while you do have a valid point - i fail to see the logic in allowing only positive feedback - which can also be misused - and i do believe that it is missused

but to ban negative feedback on the grounds it " might " be misused is simply insane IMHO

I know what the std response is :

if i want to disagree with the point a OP or reply makes i can draft a rebutal and post it

but i have been there / done that - and guess what i have sometimes got my counterpoit totally ignored while S&F continue to mount

i will go so far as to claim that S&F presents an oportunity to be lazy - and contribute nothing other than to shine a spot light on an idea that may have no merit

i have seen many replys that lament : how did this get so many flags ?

now i do think that replys that add nothing other that ` who flaged this ` to be pointless whinning - but counter flagging would at least establish the CONCENCUS of what the whole of ats thinks - not just a one sided ` i think this has merit `approach - cos thats what we have now

whereas in the current climate of no negative feedback - to make a stand agaist a point raise you have to work on the rebutall - and risk it just being ignored

is that what we want ?

[edit on 5-12-2008 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

So what I am wondering, is how come ATS doesn't implement a system like YouTube where you can filter comments by 'thumbs up/down', or neutral with no votes.

No.

Then content would be visible based on perceived popularity, or favorability from the most numerous crowd.

The best and most reliable filter is the one between your ears. If you start reading a post you don't like, stop reading it and move on to the next post.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

I would also really appreciate a "Find my contribution to this thread" type button, which can drag up all the posts made by me to a certain long thread that I contributed to a long time ago

That function already exist. All posts by all members has a "thread" button below their posts. Note: The button is there only if the thread has more than one page. By clicking on such a button, all posts by that member in that thread will be shown. If you know that you've posted in a long thread and want to find your posts, click on any member's post, and then replace the member's name in the link with your own.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Oh wow I didnt know that.

Awesome- thanks for the info!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Then content would be visible based on perceived popularity, or favorability from the most numerous crowd.

that is IMHO how the flag system works now

with the flawed caveat that only people who agree get to vote

what am i missing ?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
what am i missing ?

Threads without flags are still visible and freely available.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

i for one am NOT advocating that neg flagged threads should be deleted - simply that neg flags should act as a couterbalance to stop flag threads being pushed to the front

because that is what happens now - and right or wrong - the flagged ` hot topics ` reflect on ATS - and itf its cultist twaddle or partisan idiocy - thats the impression people get of ats

and the moment you allow flag voting wether fair or abused to catapult threads to prominence

why so adamant that counter flagging should not be able to kerp them ` in the index ` ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join