It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me, What makes whites racist?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Moose Head

HAHAH..I never said I loved Keanu, but I did enjoy the latest movie, because IM a real Sci-Fi geek.
To be honest, I think Keanu still belongs with Bill and Ted.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Bald Champion

Originally posted by Moose Head

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch

if there werent any opposites...could we have empathy and compassion.....?

YES - one is not dependent on the other.

So than why do we label a feeling........is it to make a distinction...?so that we can know when your expressing empathy and cruelty...now of course im using Keanu Reeves new girlfriends definitions...but you can attribute your own labels and than we can decide why we label feelings...is it to try and describe what were feeling...?...if you say that you have empathy how do we know its empathy?...why do we use words at all.....was that created by the minds that we use or is that real..? if we use words to describe anything for that matter why would we need to categorize anything if its all the same and nothing is dependent of anything else...why not call all feelings emapthy...do we not label to make distinctions and so if you say well i can feel empathy without knowing cruelty or expressing cruelty...than how do we know its emapthy your expressing and not cruelty...?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

HAHAH..I never said I loved Keanu, but I did enjoy the latest movie, because IM a real Sci-Fi geek.
To be honest, I think Keanu still belongs with Bill and Ted.

Wow Bill and Ted too.... your a freaky sci-fi geek...nice!!!!!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Well, I could try to describe my feelings without words, but Im not sure if you can get my physic thoughts. I suppose also, that it's a true statement to say, I can feel empathy because I've experienced cruelty. But I would suspect if I had lived on a deserted island somewhere all my life, and never experienced any outside stimuli, then I could still have empathy for all creatures, because it would be in my heart and mind.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

So than why do we label a feeling........is it to make a distinction...?so that we can know when your expressing empathy and cruelty...now of course im using Keanu Reeves new girlfriends definitions...but you can attribute your own labels and than we can decide why we label feelings...is it to try and describe what were feeling...?...if you say that you have empathy how do we know its empathy?...why do we use words at all.....was that created by the minds that we use or is that real..? if we use words to describe anything for that matter why would we need to categorize anything if its all the same and nothing is dependent of anything else...why not call all feelings emapthy...do we not label to make distinctions and so if you say well i can feel empathy without knowing cruelty or expressing cruelty...than how do we know its emapthy your expressing and not cruelty...?

I suspect feelings are hard wired in healthy humans while thought is not.
I think mankind is aware of cruelty because it exists in nature. An act of a tree falling
on a poor soul is an act of nature, however such a sight would likely evoke a negative feeling without thought.

We know it is empathy because we can discuss situations that illicit specific feelings and responses. A correlation can be established through verbalization and observation.

The ultimate guide is the feelings that advise us as we live.

PS I think once Keanu goes on his next shoot you will have a good shot...

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Well, I could try to describe my feelings without words, but Im not sure if you can get my physic thoughts. I suppose also, that it's a true statement to say, I can feel empathy because I've experienced cruelty. But I would suspect if I had lived on a deserted island somewhere all my life, and never experienced any outside stimuli, then I could still have empathy for all creatures, because it would be in my heart and mind.

Ok but my question is how do you know that its empathy...?....or that you are feeling it....in your heart and mind...you must know even if you had no outside stimuli...that if you hit the animal over the head with a coconut...that you would be cruel to it...would you not feel this in your heart and mind.......?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   

YES, it is inherent and natural as the wind.

For me I know that no matter how hard my life gets at time I will still have
a part of me that is conscience and connected to other "things".
Its just as much a part of me as my hair.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by The Bald Champion

Well said, and I certainly agree with the feelings that guide us. I suppose it's like I always say, Karma is a b*tch. If you can live with yourself after calling someone a derogatory name, because of how he or she looks, skin coloring, dress code, then you dont fit in the empathy category.

BTW, I really DONT dig Keanu, just the movie...lol!!!! I'm not one of those "groupie" women, cheese is much more satisfying.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

I suppose you wouldnt know to "call" it empathy, if you didnt know what empathy meant. But you would know you felt kindness, or a love for other things. You would feel drawn, or closer to that person or being, instead of wanting to bash it with a coconut.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Well said, and I certainly agree with the feelings that guide us. I suppose it's like I always say, Karma is a b*tch. If you can live with yourself after calling someone a derogatory name, because of how he or she looks, skin coloring, dress code, then you dont fit in the empathy category.

BTW, I really DONT dig Keanu, just the movie...lol!!!! I'm not one of those "groupie" women, cheese is much more satisfying.

I agree to some degree, however I don't think you could detach the raw emotion of empathy from most folks. Even a pathetic KKK wizard could feel empathy for a suffering disease ridden family member. The tag empathetic would not grace their discription though.

Cheese???

I would prefer a whole list before mr. Keanu
CHEESE INCLUDED!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
In the spirit of good will I offer you a link to a page with all the racist word your not supposed to be calling folks.

Names 51st staters should not call yugos

And it is funny as hell!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   

I suppose you wouldnt know to "call" it empathy, if you didnt know what empathy meant. But you would know you felt kindness, or a love for other things. You would feel drawn, or closer to that person or being, instead of wanting to bash it with a coconut.

I think a coconut bashing is moving into savagery

Personally hate killing anything that breaths, however I have a duality - I could punch an intolerant person like breathing. Not very understanding of me...

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Great point!
So what would a more broader word for empathy be? Or one to describe someone who can look beyond skin color or dress code? One that can see the good in people and over look the bad? Crazy?

And cheese is actually a food fit for gods IMO..yummy!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   

I suspect feelings are hard wired in healthy humans while thought is not.
I think mankind is aware of cruelty because it exists in nature. An act of a tree falling
on a poor soul is an act of nature, however such a sight would likely evoke a negative feeling without thought.

We know it is empathy because we can discuss situations that illicit specific feelings and responses. A correlation can be established through verbalization and observation.

The ultimate guide is the feelings that advise us as we live.

PS I think once Keanu goes on his next shoot you will have a good shot...

but again......your saying that a healthy human has hard wired feelings....so a person that isnt healthy dosent have hard wired feelings....?...and how do we make that assumption in either case..?...and if one is healthy and one isnt...dosent healthy and unhealthy become direct opposites and dependent on each other...so if you say this person is healthy you must know that somewhere someone is unhealthy..now if we correlate through verbalization and observation...that empathy is empathy...and cruelty is cruelty and happiness is happiness....through certain reactions... than everything is dependent on everything...because if you experience one thing we categorize it as say cruelty...but if you react in another way its empathy...but if we didnt categorize the two to make a distinction by reactions as you say...than all feelings could all just be called cruelty ....

and im not playing second fiddle to Reeves...no way!!!!...lol.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Crikey, I couldnt even read them all, I actually got embarrassed!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   

It is clear in my case that both cruelty and compassion dwell within me...
But neither is completely dependent upon the other. And both can intermingle
in the realm of thought of feeling at any given moment.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Are you referring to Newton's laws of motion?
"To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

"A body continues to maintain its state of rest or of uniform motion unless acted upon by an external unbalanced force."

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   

but again......your saying that a healthy human has hard wired feelings....so a person that isnt healthy dosent have hard wired feelings....?...and how do we make that assumption in either case..?...and if one is healthy and one isnt...dosent healthy and unhealthy become direct opposites and dependent on each other...so if you say this person is healthy you must know that somewhere someone is unhealthy..now if we correlate through verbalization and observation...that empathy is empathy...and cruelty is cruelty and happiness is happiness....through certain reactions... than everything is dependent on everything...because if you experience one thing we categorize it as say cruelty...but if you react in another way its empathy...but if we didnt categorize the two to make a distinction by reactions as you say...than all feelings could all just be called cruelty ....

and im not playing second fiddle to Reeves...no way!!!!...lol.

Well I think we could observe a reaction of an individual in a bloody or violent atmosphere and quickly tell if that person suffers from a severe form of sociopathy.

If a child does not react adversely to the visible, audible violent death of its mother
then I think it is safe to suspect sociopathy of some sort.

The ladies who like cheese have character!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I suppose both of those exist in us all, isnt that the Yen and the Yang?

If we were perfect, we'd be gods and goddesses. But I do know racism exists, sadly. I also believe in an afterlife, not necessarily a christian one, and I do believe that racism and hate and cruelty wouldnt, IMO, exist there. How could it? Would there be a segregated afer life?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
"The ladies who like cheese have character! "

And probably bigger behinds.

Please, no butt racism comments..lol

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join