It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governor General agrees to suspend Parliament

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Here here Duzey!

Glad someone's paying attention to how the system works!

You are correct, the queen does not chose the Governor General, all the queen gets to do is have a small ceremony and a little pat on the back as her way of saying congratulations.

Now, onto another members post...

As for what they do - ever been on a plane? Snowmobile? Train? Bus? Jet Ski? Odds are pretty good that it came out of Quebec. Aerospace and transportation, mining of everything, and genetic engineering of goalies for the most part.

Genetic engineering of goalies...

Yeah, sometimes I wonder. Though their prices are clearly too high for Toronto.

... ohhhhhhhhhh....

I'm actually quite relieved the Governor General paid attention to the Canadian people and suspended parliament.
The budget won't be ready until the end of January anyways, so even if the coalition were made of Mensa Members and the second coming of Jesus, there wouldn't be a darned thing they could do about the economy until the end of January anyways.

So this clearly wasn't about the economy in the first place.

I still can't believe Dion thought he could get away with IGNORING the vote of the Canadian people!
We just voted!

I'll admit, I didn't vote Conservative... but I'll be damned if I'm going to let the votes of the rest of my fellow Canadians be tossed aside like a scrap of yesterdays trash.

I do not, and will never support a government that wasn't duly elected into representative positions they were running for.

If you want to seize power, MOVE TO A 3RD WORLD COUNTRY.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

I just find the whole issue bizarre.

Is there any kind of movement in Canada to cease being a Dominion of the Crown?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
...If someone tries to get away with this form of illegal takeover again...
[edit on 4-12-2008 by johnsky]

What illegal takeover? The formation of a coalition government is completely legal and constitutional. The fact of the matter is that Harper's conservatives lost the confidence of the majority of the house, ie, the other 60% of the MPs who sit in Parliament and run the country. What they were doing was stopping the will of the minority from usurping that of the majority. You know, what they're actually supposed to do.

If the elected leader (who by the way is not constitutional - the PM is not mentioned in our Constitution or Charter of Rights) is steering the country in a way that the majority does not like, want, or approve of, then it is their responsibility to put a stop to it. Such is the workings of a minority government.

If a car's driver is hurtling toward a cliff, should his passengers not try to stop him, simply because it's his turn to drive?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
How does this affect thing in relation to someone stating.. "let's join the north american union!!" Do these changes make it harder or easier to achieve that goal?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Well everyone is talking about how messed up things are getting so I made a thread on it.
What would you do if you had the chance to hold the reigns of power?
The thread is called Fantasy Canadian Elections (i want you)
Your all welcome to have your say.
I am eager to see what happens.Help me get it off the ground.

Back to the topic at hand here.
I think there is gonna be some changes.I don't see how they can close parliment with the economy this way.The TSX is down to almost 8000 again.They can't ignore this like they have been or this is gonna bite us in the rear.With Parliment closed that means no action does it not??
This might boil up a bit.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

What part of Commonwealth do people not understand???

Yes, you are part of the British Crown. Jeez, quit trying to
deny it.

The Queen runs 16 different countries. You had better believe that Harper had to get her approval.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

yes, with parliment closed until Jan, if anything major happens economically there will be nothing our government can do about it to help or stop a crisis from happening. Thats what has me the most upset over this whole thing. With the troubled times everyone is in these days i just cant believe they would allow our government to stop working. Allthough i guess the alternative was letting dionne run the show which is actually more scary in my eyes. But it not like the stupid conservatives have done a damn thing about this crisis. they have just sat on thier hands with thier "Wait and see" approach. What a load of crap.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by anti-baphomet

who's approval? the Queen's?

She has no say in anything that relates to our government now. She does not appoint our GG, (As in it is done with the approval of the current PM, he has to sign off on the appoitment. Meaning the current PM is the one appointing the GG, not the queen), she has a silly little ceremony to congradulate her, but thats about it. The queen has about as much influence in Canada and the as I have in the way Bush runs his presedency.

[edit on 12/5/0808 by Trayen11]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Trayen11

I am pretty concerned as well.It just keeps making me wonder how long til it gets bad enough that people wake up to see nobody doing anything.It even looks like Layton and Dion didn't even really have a plan,they were just shooting from the hip and trying to attain power.
They had no plan either...that is really messed up.
I could be wrong in how bad I think the economy is tho as well,but I doubt it as I follow it on a day to day basis and have been watching the ship sink since Sept.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
Treason, plain and simple...revolution or coup d'etat anyone?

Both this measure and the coalition are fully legal. While it sets a potential precedent for postponing confidence votes, it has also brought the Tories to heel. If they play nice, that will make it awfully difficult for the opposition to dump them without looking avericious.

It's Parliamentary gamesmanship, not treason.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Hate to break it to you, but we didn't burn the Whitehouse. Washington was burned in 1814. We were not a country until 1867.

British troops burned the Whitehouse.

Here's an interesting discussion on the subject.

[edit on 5/12/08 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
How does this affect things in relation to someone stating.. "let's join the north american union!!" Do these changes make it harder or easier to achieve that goal?

Come on guys, I don't know anything about Canadian Politics, someone answer my above question, I think it's important if it makes a difference.

[edit on 5/12/2008 by spitefulgod]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

What is so bizarre, that we are a Commonwealth country just like Australia, New Zealand and about 14 other countries ?As far as I know there are no movements to become a republic, most Canadian's do not care one way or the other, she has absolutely no say in how we go about our day to day lives, she is symbolic and sovereign.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I get such a kick out of those people that obviously have no concept how the Canadian parliamentary system works. It is understandable for Americans, and most Europeans, but it is simply inexcuseable for Canadians not to know how their own government functions.

The Governor General is entirely within their rights to do this. End of story!

The Liberals could not win in an open election. In fact, they lost seats. So, they are attempting to take power anyway, by making an alliance with a party that they have openly denigrated in the past; campaigned against the basic tenants and values of that party in the last election; and also want to make an alliance with a party that's only real desire is to break Canada apart.

But they will do anything in order to gain power again.

This just proves that they literally stand for nothing but power. They have no standards, absolutely nothing that they can claim they really stand for.

The NDP is no better. Its leadership has also shown that they have no principles at all, they will do anything to gain a modicum of power.

I will predict that in the next election, the Liberals and the NDP will both lose at least 10-15% of the seats they now hold (and I would not be surprised to see it at 25-30%). They have proven that they are immoral, stand for nothing at all, and are nothing but power mad politicians that do not give a damn about Canada.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

The true object of disolving parliament is to be certain that Harper remains in office until Osama Obama is sworn in, IF that happens, since he cannot demonstrate that he is lawfully qualified to be president. Obama already assured Harper that the North American Union will go forward under his presidency, but I suspect that if all three principals to the phony 'trade agreement' are out of office that SPP would be vacated, or not revivable; Fox is gone, Bush is on his way out and if Harper is booted out, too, I suspect that the North American Union is, de jure, dead. The new Mexican president seems much less enamoured of Bush, rather like waking up and finding your partner in the sack is a hideous leper, and is gravitating quietly toward Chavez, Morales, Castro and other Latin American nationalists (bless his heart!) Mexico also has no interest whatever in being shanghaied into any war with a massively resurgent Russia (with extremely efficient weapons and delivery systems) or with a China that already has enclaves in Mexico (with who knows how many PLA combat troops passing as stevedores, longshoremen, drivers etc.) and a rapidly modernizing military with 200 million men under arms. The NAU is insanity personified, and Harper is one of the prime moving whack jobs.
With the dollar going down the tubes, the US plunging through second to third world status (on its way to fourth world), a worn out, underequipped and chronically ill military, any close association by any country (neighbours or not) is probably fatal on several levels, not the least is defense. I recommend that Canadians (absent firearms these days) fire harden some sharpened sticks and prepare to winkle the grifters, grafters, thieves and perverts out of your provincial nad national capitals. Good luck, guys - - - we in the States have our own fish to fry.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OldMedic

I couldn't disagree more. I'm not Canadian but I live here and all the Canadians I know are absolutely incensed that Stephen Harper thought he could get away with removing the funding for the opposition parties, and removing the right of public servants to strike. They consider that a real slap in the face to Canadians and they were glad the opposition was finally standing up to them.

SO what does Harper do? Apologize? Face the music for what he had attempted to do? Nah he just decided to close parliament to save his own ass. What a weasily coward. Everyone I've talked to hopes the coalition stays strong and boots him when parliament reconvenes.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OldMedic

What I can't seem to understand from the pro-co's, is that they would just love to have Dion as there PM, Dion is a complete idiot, even his own party thinks so, he had his shot at becoming PM and blew it, and destroyed the Liberal party at the same time.

Now if the coalition had happened, how long would it take Larry,Curly and Moe to introduce a budget(stimulus package) for the country, 2 days a week a month, I would imagine it takes time to settle in and check out the books and so forth, so what do we actually gain from this??, absolutely jack sh#$%t, nothing, nothing but three power hungry politicians going in three different directions and an election.

A coup is not what we need at this time, as far as our Parliament being inactive, I blame the three stooges and commend Harper and the GG for seeing through these three idoits, I just hope as a country we can keep our heads above water for a couple of what may turn out to be the worst economic months in the history of our country.

Please excuse the sarcasm.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNut23

You say tomato I say tomahtoe.Thanks for the clarification tho.
2 lines

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNut23

Actually thanks for the link too.There is alot I didn't know about on there.Man I need to learn more history...but as I usually say,quit living in the past LOL

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join