It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Cuts Entire Science, Tech Team

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

CNN Cuts Entire Science, Tech Team

www.cjr.org

CNN, the Cable News Network, announced yesterday that it will cut its entire science, technology, and environment news staff, including Miles O’Brien, its chief technology and environment correspondent, as well as six executive producers.

A source at the network, who asked not to be named, said the move is a strategic and structural business decision to cut staff, unrelated to the current economic downturn. Financially, “CNN is doing very, very well,” the source said, and none of the health and medical news staff has been cut. Yet the big question, of course, is whether or not the reorganization will decrease the overall amount of CNN’s science, technology, and environment coverage. CNN says no, but it’s hard to imagine that it won’t—Anderson Cooper or not, fewer people is fewer people.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Cnn cutting their crew who does the science and enviromental reports - when there has never been a more crucial time in history (my opinion) to be on top of what is happening in the world is strange.

Considering there have been more earthquakes than ever before (since recorded) this year see 'downtown436' thread with a graph showing the earthquakes this year:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also in the technology end - when more people have come out recently with amazing renewable energies technology.
Including the person earlier this week - with using salt water for energy and in vehicles as fuel, I would think there are more things than ever to report on.

I don't understand the reasoning behind CNN's decision to cut it all out and NOT having a specialized division just for those things.

It just seems very strange they are doing this - I can not relay any reasons why or even try to figure out what is behind it - except - is it maybe economics? They say it is not in the article.

www.cjr.org

[edit on 4-12-2008 by questioningall]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
They probably can get reports on the same topics from other news sources and air them on CNN. It seems like a stupid idea to me.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Hmmm.

Miles OBrien ran several reports last week about contact, abductions, SETI and other related topics. I wonder if Larry King is next?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Miles OBrien ran several reports last week about contact, abductions, SETI and other related topics

Maybe he'll get his old job back as transporter chief?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by vonspurter
reply to post by kosmicjack

Miles OBrien ran several reports last week about contact, abductions, SETI and other related topics

Maybe he'll get his old job back as transporter chief?

haha very good.

Back on topic, this is very disturbing. At a time when science is under attack in America, the fact that a major source of news for millions of Americans is cutting it's entire sci-tech team means science won't be getting into many American's lives. Surely this can only breed more distrust.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This is a pretty big red flag for me. How can there be any journalistic integrity regarding science and the environment if there isn't even a specialized group for it? Like stikkinikki suggested, I suppose CNN can use other sources for the information but if that is the case, then why bother at all.

It's pretty sad that one of the largest outlets for *ahem* "news" cuts much needed personnel at precisely the time they are needed the most. Perhaps CNN is just comfortable enough reporting on what they are told instead of doing any journalistic footwork themselves. It's not that they aren't already on autopilot but I'm surprised that it would make it so blatantly obvious now.

While I personally use alternative sources for my daily news, I can't be the only one that thinks this is both a sham and a slap in the face to the viewer?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Isn't it obvious.... Obrian was starting a trend about the obscure world of ouhhhhhhhh Alien viiiiisitation. Of course their gonna shut it down. And well americains want to concentrate on getting back their homes, or jobs or other essential things. The economy is of greater concern. And on a certain point of view I have to agree.

even though there might be proof of a money trail in new york connecting certain governement agencies or people to direct funding of terrorism (in skunkworks)

They are less concerned with science and new breakthroughs right now since they are trying to feed their famillys. Id say its normal. Although it does bring up some questions as to why all of a sudden, nothing in this cut surprises me.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
lol, watch next week they hire a load of "Celebrity gossip experts" and "Creationism Experts".

Whatever, they're mainstream news, it's not like I actually looked to them for news anyways.

Sure, they'll still have science and technology news broadcasts... but the only explanation you'll hear is "god did it" and any an all scientific information will be completely incorrect.

Remember the Colombia shuttle disaster?
What did they have in the headlines?
"Shuttle traveling over 18 times speed of light."

lol... just... lol.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It's all about economics.

More people prefer to watch soap operas and mind numbing crap and drivel than they do serious educational material.

So, TV executives will broadcast more drivel because it is cheaper to make (no research etc...) and will generate more advertising revenue.

Simple economics.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
CNN severely cuts its science reporting... in favor of?... meaningless toys like the holographic reporter bit they unveiled during the election coverage? This should tell you that they are much more interested in entertaining than they are with trivial things such as reporting actual news.

Yet another reason to seek your news out in other places besides the MSM.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I bet they still air Showbiz Tonight though. I mean, who wants to be bothered with intelligent topics like Science, Technology, and the Environment anyway?

Madonna is dating Alex Rodriguez, people! Wouldn't we all rather hear about people we don't know and never will know than maybe, oh I don't know, learn something we can use later in life? You guys should get your priorities in order!

The agenda is to dumb down America. CNN made the right move.

[edit on 12/4/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I know this may go without saying, but the CNN of today is a vastly different entity that it was back in 1980 or so when it first came on the air.

In keeping with the rest of the mainstream media, CNN is gently pulling the masses attention away from news of importance to the latest movies and iphone apps. I used to read cnn.com strictly for the Tech column. Now I can barely read it at all as it keeps "suggesting" articles from the entertainment sector instead of world news.

I don't know if it is a purposeful conspiracy to keep real news away from people, or a simple effort to keep up with the other networks keeping us "fat and happy" on Hollywood garbage. I do know that firing the Sci/ Tech staff now gives them plausible deniability to put basically anything they want on the headlines without worrying if it is correct or not.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Ironic that the group that is supposed to provide awareness screens it out so that we stay sheeple.

Hoorah for the Media Industry

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

haha i love your post

You should watch WALL-E Its almost the same point if you analyze the movie.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hi, I'm a brand spanking new member on this great site. Miles OBrien's a great guy and long time on cnn doing news and stuff. why oust him?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

Funny you mention that - I just got it today in my Netflix queue. I'm going to have to watch it tonight, methinks.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

Cnn cutting their crew who does the science and enviromental reports - when there has never been a more crucial time in history (my opinion) to be on top of what is happening in the world is strange.

Considering there have been more earthquakes than ever before (since recorded) this year see 'downtown436' thread with a graph showing the earthquakes this year:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also in the technology end - when more people have come out recently with amazing renewable energies technology.
Including the person earlier this week - with using salt water for energy and in vehicles as fuel, I would think there are more things than ever to report on.

I don't understand the reasoning behind CNN's decision to cut it all out and NOT having a specialized division just for those things.

It just seems very strange they are doing this - I can not relay any reasons why or even try to figure out what is behind it - except - is it maybe economics? They say it is not in the article.

www.cjr.org

[edit on 4-12-2008 by questioningall]

I'm sorry I just had to quote this. I hate when people say more earth quakes more than ever, or more of this more than ever. How long have we been taking records of this stuff? 150 years at the very very most i'd say. Earth has been around what 4.5 billion years or something. But year you're right people more earthquakes is completely un-natural since we are so knowledgeable on the subject.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

CNN would never admit that it's economics, although that might in fact be the case.

On the other hand, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public, so I guess we're going to get more celebrity reports and probably no science at all.

sigh.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Wow. This is shocking! Hmmm… should I be shocked though?
Brittany Spears vs. Life sustainable planet found within 5 light years from Earth.
Republican Senator gets caught boning a goat vs. New 100% efficient solar panel is perfected
“Let’s discuss global warming. Who do we have?” Off Camera: “we don’t have a science department any more” “ack hem…um ok…well let’s ask Dr. Sanjay Gupta, he’s sorta like a scientist. What do you think of global warming Dr. Gupta”. Gupta: “I think if everyone gets a regular checkup and quits smoking global warming should be A-Ok”

top topics

<<   2 >>

join